Gday from another Aussie

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Gday from another Aussie

Postby SteveAndrew » 15 Jun 2020, 15:05

Hi this is Steve

Just getting into the power chair mod game - my housemate / ex-wife has Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS and recently purchased a gopher to get around. She's used it maybe twice, it's good for outdoors, but is too big for shopping centres, especially the narrow aisles of clothing stores etc.

So the local auction house was clearing out workshop stock from a local government-assisted mobility service, with dozens of power chairs and parts in different states of repair, going for a song. Over two auctions I managed to pickup a base for a Pride Jet 3 Ultra, and the seat frame/back and tilt mechanisms for two Quantum 6s ? maybe? All for less than AUD $100. If I'd known what I know now, I would have tried for a rear wheel drive instead of a mid-drive :(

A few hours in the shed and I ended up with at least one working chair, the Jet 3 just needed new batteries, and I installed the Spex seat back and cushion from my other purchase. I can't mix and match the Pride and Quantum Edge controllers, so I can't add the tilt/recline base YET. I'm an engineer, so building up a simple controller to drive the linear actuators should be easy enough.

This stuff is like building a big mecanno set. Looking forward to trying to build something useful for her to get around in.

If anyone is looking for some Quantum parts (controllers, joysticks, cables etc) I might have some to get rid of, once I work out what's what.
SteveAndrew

Re: Gday from another Aussie

Postby steves1977uk » 17 Jun 2020, 22:32

Welcome aboard sport! :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Re: Gday from another Aussie

Postby hobie1dog » 18 Jun 2020, 16:50

welcome to the forum.
Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe-nowhere else could things be more screwed up.

Invacare M61
Quickie S636- 3.00-4 tires, Chevy seat
hobie1dog

Return to Introduce Yourself!