Conveenes / convenes?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Conveenes / convenes?

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 10:32

Male sheaths... Whatever they are called. 34 years of experience and tried most things.

Will update this after motoGP!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Conveenes / convenes?

Postby Toro » 06 Jun 2021, 16:58

Now we're getting real personal...lol

Conveen is the brand name. They are called urodomes...lol
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 17:01

Not over here they are called male contenence sheaths. Eurodomes is another trade name.

I have tried many. The ones I currently use are from Bard Medical, called Clear Advantage, a US company.
I have trouble keeping these stuck... But better than all the rest tested over 24 years.

In order to actually keep them stuck solidly for a day I also spray my part with a type of silicone glue from a can. Its sort of designed for this. But mainly used for ostomy devices. Its super sticky. Its called Adapt 7730 medical adhesive. It helps enormously.

And I use leg bags, and night bags. These are also a problem.

1. IF the tube does not run downhill always!
2. The tubes are all too short to lay the bag on the deck at night. At least with a wider bed than a singe that I use. And that matters. Why? If the tube does not enter the bag in a straight line (flat on the ground then the bag itself causes an obstruction where it bends as the pipe enters it... Result is that the conveen does not stay on. So I made a wire frame that hangs off the bed with a tube holder to be sure that it always sits at the correct angle with tube pointed up...
3. The damned emptying valves leak on every 10th bag and rui the carpet £££.
4. They are too small if you drink beer (a lot!) 1.5 litres is the biggest night bags that are sterile that have a tube that doesent kink and a valve that doesent leak... So I have to link 2 of them. One on the frame and one on the floor.

Another problem is that the older I get the more my member appears to wrinkle and shrink! So making like harder. No not that sort of harder. That still happens now and again.

Theres another problem. You find a correct sized sheath. Then over a week the size of the target changes quite drastically. Depends on temperature and maybe 101 other things. Its a moving target!

With these things all figured out, I get a relatively dry safe life. If you dont take utmost care and get all of this right you live in a wet bed.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Toro » 06 Jun 2021, 17:24

They are a sheath also.

Conveen seems to be the best I believe.

Your correct in the fact if it doesn't direct in a straight line to a night bag it can back flow... a way around it is push your mattress up a couple inches from the foot rest and have it good straight then to the side, or there are side holders too that attack to your bed frame.

Also the length could be at least 2.2 meters if they were smart, 1.7 is too short especially if you raise your bed height.
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 17:30

Your correct in the fact if it doesn't direct in a straight line to a night bag it can back flow

Every bag I saw does this. And its very hard to be sure that its always straight. It would be far better IF THEY FIXED THE PROBLEM! Which would be simple. Just have the pipe enter the bag by half an inch and have a couple of holes in the sides. But that would be too easy!

Quick story about a nurse in the spinal unit. Very pretty but a result of the modern school system. She was a student nurse. She had been told by another more advanced nurse that the night bags should be inflated before use. She was told to blow up a new bag slightly. Some nonsense about it helping the urine to go in. Why dont women "get" physics?

She was literally blowing them up about 2/3rds full of air with a black rubber squeeze bulb thing. Then connecting them. These were disposable hospital ones. So no emptying valve. And so you pee about an egg cup full, and cannot pee any more! As it looked like a balloon! Result conveen blown off. Wet bed. Baffled nurse. I told her about 5 times that if its full of air then theres no way you can add urine. To which she always laughed and said it was empty! I gave up.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Swan T.W. » 06 Jun 2021, 17:34

Not over here they are called male contenence sheaths. Eurodomes is another trade name.

I have tried many. The ones I currently use are from Bard Medical, called Clear Advantage, a US company.
I have trouble keeping these stuck... But better than all the rest tested over 24 years.

In order to actually keep them stuck solidly for a day I also spray my part with a type of silicone glue from a can. Its sort of designed for this. But mainly used for ostomy devices. Its super sticky. Its called Adapt 7730 medical adhesive. It helps enormously.

Stapler. Nail gun.

:clap
Swan T.W.

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 17:40

Might that not cause extra leaks? :fencing
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Toro » 06 Jun 2021, 18:01

To fix the problem would mean for them to use it...lol and we both know people working in disability services create a product not knowing diddly squat on how that product really functions for people with the actual disability.

Can you see a sheath maker wearing one for a good two weeks solid to find out what the flaws are in that product...lol
Toro

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 18:05

Shame we dont all have a standard thread on the end for attachments. We are a flawed design too.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F55 » 06 Jun 2021, 18:31

Convene Urisheath user here since day 1 and although I have tried other brand samples I wouldn't use anything other than the Conveen I use. No extra glues necessary, no separate sticky add-on todger band just place on top, roll it back and away you go. It's self adhesive properties work like magic.

I was told when leaving hospital I'd be lucky to get them on prescription but instead get some inferior replacement. I said if I'd learnt with them in the spinal unit I would continue with them when home. Apart from a little grumble about cost my doctor agreed. Combined with the Conveen legbag I've had zero bag tap failures.

There was a thread recently on a SCI page where someone asked if anybody thought the quality of the Bard legbag taps had gone downhill.
F55

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 18:40

Convene Urisheath user here since day 1 and although I have tried other brand samples I wouldn't use anything other than the Conveen I use. No extra glues necessary, no separate sticky add-on todger band just place on top, roll it back and away you go. It's self adhesive properties work like magic.

Well magic isnt real! Those stay on around 8 to 10 hours here. And with the spray glue, they stay on a good 24 hours reliably.

Add this to your shopping list and they will stay on at least twice as long.

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F55 » 06 Jun 2021, 18:53

As I said, no extra glue necessary but then despite the fact you've not tried these Conveen you dismiss it.

I wouldn't leave one on longer than from the morning shower to going to bed anyway as I need it for other things in bed and I can sleep commando.
F55

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 19:08

You only need it to stay on for half a day?

Not only tried them but used them for 5 years. They stick exactly as well as the bard ones. Cant tell any difference. Other than the packaging they even look the same. I have tried everything that is available that is suitable over the last 24 years. Including those things that stick just on the very end. Those are actually quite good. But you cant see when they need changing so the net result is the same.

By many I mean MANY!!!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 06 Jun 2021, 19:19

Do you use the Hollister remover as well, BM? Or does it come off with the Convene?
After a lifetime of various medications, I can't get anything remotely like any kind of stiffening, so getting a Convene on is very hard. Ive had some success with a pump but it soon deflates once removed. I'm hoping that this adhesive may help to get a sheath in place and retain it in place. I get in a hell of a mess with the adhesive tapes. I've never managed to keep a sheath on over night yet. Like you I have a four foot hospital bed. Same problems.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 06 Jun 2021, 19:24

After 12 to 20 hours It gets replaced. The glue mostly comes off with the convine. But the rest comes off easily enough with a wipe. I use azo wipes. For hard surfaces! Even though its not. :shock:

Even a gentle wipe with a damp or even dry cloth gets it off. Dont apply fresh or a convine unless you make damned sure its ultra dry. Nothing sticks properly to a damp thing... I have a bedside fan, very helpful when air drying!

That adapt glue is VERY pricey. Get your doctor to add to your prescription. One lasts a long time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby stevelawiw » 09 Jun 2021, 21:56

It's an awful feeling to wake up to a sweet urine smell coming from your bed, and on a rare occasion even the head pillow is wet. It's a horible situation, a horible feeling, urrg.
But how do women cope? They have nothing to hang anything on. Do they just use catheters? folley or single use throw away types?
stevelawiw

Postby greybeard » 09 Jun 2021, 22:41

Many on other forums say they self-cath. They don't have such a long tunnel to negotiate so it might be easier for them.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jun 2021, 23:15

Let me tell you. Those leak too. Around the pipe. So thats not a great solution either.

I am dry for maybe 3 months or so at a time and then theres the inevitable odd night. Pubs make it much worse.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 10 Jun 2021, 08:26

Some, especially women, end up going with a surgically-done supra-pubic catheter.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 10 Jun 2021, 10:58

Talking of surgical options, theres another method.

My freind was sick of sitting in a puddle. He had a procedure that effectively tightens the muscle that controls the urine flow from the bladder. So while he is paralised like me he no longer pees at all without intervention. So uses a short catheter that is disposable. It does not inflate and is used only to pee. He doesent know when he needs to go. So has to check every few hours. But no convenes or anything else. Just intermittent catheterization during the day and go easy on the beer.

This worked well for him. Esp as he has had additional surgery to increase the size of his bladder now too. By taking some of his bowel, and doing some fancy sewing...

He is 74 now and has lost the plot. According to his son, he isnt making any sense. So the bladder thing is now the least of his problems.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 11 Jun 2021, 16:40

Burgerman wrote:Shame we dont all have a standard thread on the end for attachments. We are a flawed design too.

Some do have the "hose barb" modification. Not sure it helps.
slomobile

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Jun 2021, 03:36

I've been using the Cure CS-14 intermittent kits since I got hurt - the current "wisdom" that I see is that the condom-cath method tends to cause problems because it doesn't empty the bladder fully.

So the current standard recommendation is either intermittent cath or an indwelling foley using either the OEM exit or a suprapubic...

Supposedly Suprapubics are more comfortable, and less prone to UTI problems.

The ladies I know mostly either due intermittent or get a suprapubic. (although intermittent is supposed to be much harder due to more difficult target access - one friend is quoted as saying that the only time she ever suffered from 'penis envy' was when she got to rehab and they came in to give her how-to lessons...)

I like a "closed system" catheter setup for several reasons. They claim it lowers UTI risk, but to me the biggest advantage is that it makes it easier to deal w/ situations where there isn't an accessible bathroom... I can find a place to hide, do my thing and then hand the bag to an AB for disposal... It's also nice when the public bathroom is skanky as you don't have to get close, just dump and run...

I have tried just about every closed system available in the US market, and IMHO the Cure kits are by far the best - very complete and well set up with thought for users (It may help that the president / founder is a quad...)

Up until recently they had nice nitrile gloves that FIT my large hands. The last order I got though had some sort of clear vinyl gloves that didn't fit (cue the OJ jokes...) which I'm told is temporary due to a supply chain problem.

Many of the kits have an underpad that feels like just a piece of paper towel that was plastic coated on one side - and it's hard to tell which side is which. Cure uses a nicer underpad that has a blue plastic layer on one side and white absorbent material on the other - easy to tell which side is which even in low light, and probably good for anyone w/ low vision.

The kit includes both a BZK wipe and a packet of povidone swabs. "Officially" it's because some folks are sensitive to one or the other, but I find it works well for me to use the povidone before, and then the BZK wipe after to clean up the povidone and any lubricant or other mess (they also give a large gauze pad) The BZK wipe is a large one, like a wet-nap, not one of the little tiny scraps that a lot of the other kits had.

The cath is prelubed, has polished eyelets and IMHO strikes a good balance between stiff enough to insert easily, and flexible enough to go around the bends in guy plumbing... It is in a 1500ml collection bag so everything is 'touchless' and they even designed the bag to be dumped easily....

Decidedly my recommendation for anyone that does intermittent cathing.

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Anything