NEW OLED

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

NEW OLED

Postby Burgerman » 19 Jun 2021, 20:37

Many of you know of the advantages of OLED used for a PC monitor. Pure blacks. Perfect depth of colours which look frankly amazing due to infinite contrast ratios and total blacks etc.

And that I have been using a 55 inch LG TV as a PC monitor for a few years now. It blows any and every traditional PC monitor and non OLED TV completely out of the water. Being 4K resolution with the latest HDMI standards its also fully ultra hdr capable if watching movies etc too.

Well theres a 48 inch version now that doesent take over your desk quite as much! And it too blows all the previous PC moitors out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9n8Hz_RLqw
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: NEW OLED

Postby LROBBINS » 19 Jun 2021, 22:52

The 13.6" 4K (actually 3000 x 2000 for this aspect ratio) OLED on Rachi's new convertible PC is spectacular too. Her gaze tracker, however, will need an update as the version she has can't scale to 4K. It will be at least a software update, but the physical camera may need revision as well.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 19 Jun 2021, 23:54

Once you get used to OLEDs everything else sucks. ***Esp big ones. From the perfect no colour or contrast (or any other) shifts with viewing angles or just the perfect blacks and so beautiful deep colours regardless of angles.

Back to your problem. Doesent windows 10 native scaling cure that problem?
Or even choose say 1600 x 900 resolution for the moment?

My new 14 inch "rugged" leptop, that isnt here yet has serial ports, amongst other things. No OLED. Because unlike the typical 250 to 330 nits of brightness of most laptops it has a 1000 nit screen - so its readble in direct sunlight. That might be more useful to your daughter than OLED in a laptop used as hers is? It was one of the things that made me buy it. It means I can sit outside in the daytime, say at the beach with a cold beer outside a resturant or bar and still be able to do my computin' or watch a movie, backup this site etc. Also waterproof pretty much. So drops of 3 or 4 feet and a few accidents with drinks etc no problem.

***Because a 55 inch monitor at approx 100dpi 4k means that when sat in front of it at normal distances, the corners are 1.5x further away than the centre and at approx 45 degrees! With any LCD monitor that angle means faded corner or edge colours, backlight bleed, so worse blacks and contrast/colours in the screen corners or sides. OLED means the corners look EXACTLY the same even at 45 degrees. With the same colours and same perfect blacks regardless. So with huge monitors OLED is pretty much the only system that works properly. And the native 4k resolution gives perfect sized fonts, icons etc. And a HUGE amount of real estate. You can open 2 HD 1080 movies in full resolution, and still have half the screen left for a dozen documents/windows! And its very immersive for games - that I dont play. But flight sims!

But outdoors OLED doesent work well.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 20 Jun 2021, 14:11

Back to your problem. Doesent windows 10 native scaling cure that problem?
Or even choose say 1600 x 900 resolution for the moment?

As a microbial genetecist colleague of mine was won't to say "It's not that simple". Yes, one can change the Win10 scaling factor and/or screen resolution and probably get the old gaze tracker software to fill the screen and calibrate, but the tracker is used as input to other programs that actually do scale properly for the 3000 x 2000 screen. Futzing with Win10 settings to make the tracker software work destroys the foreground windows with which it interacts.

The version of WordPerfect that I'm still using, WP 18, illustrates what happens when software hasn't been updated for high res screens. The main document window, and most WP feature and tool bars do scale properly, but when they updated WP to 18 someone forgot about some of the subsidiary dialogs. For example, the macro toolbar and the macro command inserter and its context help dialog do not scale, so they're really tiny and rather a strain for my old eyes. This has supposedly been fixed in version 20, but with 21 having recently been released I am waiting for others to expose some of its bugs before I upgrade. Corel asked me to be a beta tester for WP21 (which would have given me a free copy, as well as a chance to bitch once again about long-standing bugs that haven't gotten fixed), but it was a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing because they actually released it for sale less than a week after asking me.

Newer versions of the tracker software have supposedly been re-written for Windows 10 and even include a settable scaling factor (though that is probably only relevant for older Win10 before the auto-scaling was working decently). At least I hope it will work properly without f--king up the foreground windows.

What's the angle of view on your new portable? HP has a 1000 nit screen available for the X360-14 convertible, but they achieved that by going to an extremely narrow viewing angle - then advertise this as a privacy "feature" for use in office environments. The 400 nit OLED is too bright for normal room light and good outdoors if not in strong, direct sunlight, but I did have to add a control for screen brightness to Rachi's program because the keyboard (with its brightness F keys) is deactivated when folded back to mount on Rachi's chair. She can now, with a few switch clicks, turn brightness up and down in 10% steps. That function overlays more or less transparent black over the screen, which with the OLED doesn't impose any power use penalty. If it were a backlit screen painting black over the screen image would be a real power waster and would also raise temps quite a bit. To actually mimic the real brightness control would require having the API for HP's screen driver (I think it's actually an Intel driver), but they'll won't supply that to mere mortals. HP actually promised twice to bring the problems I was having to the attention of the appropriate "team" and promised a rapid response - a response that never, ever arrived so I was forced to roll my own.

The power switch is also a key on the keyboard, so there was no way to turn the folded computer off either, or to turn it back on without taking it off the chair and unfolding it. I cured that by mounting a flip up magnet to fool the "laptop keyboard closed" switch and having that set it to sleep. Magnet UP = sleep, magnet DOWN = awake.
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jun 2021, 22:46

Angle of screen is a claimed 170 same as all their ips panels. They achieve the 1000 nits and 1500 contrast with powerful back lighting I assume and it likely murders the battery runtime. So no narrow viewing angles. These things are used my the police and military outdoors and so on. So they must work in rain and sun. Its a 1920 x 1200 14 inch display. The reviews say its a good screen. And like the 4k display on my other laptop is cornings gorilla glass.

The 4k one on my olde 7370 super slim laptop that I use in bed can be set to half the resolution and I cannot see the difference in detail at all on a 13.3 inch screen. My eyes are just not that good.

So I frequently use 1600x900 and 125% scaling.
Or 4k resolution and 250% scaling. If editing pics etc. 200% scaling is great for work if its close.
Or ofice stuff set to 1920X1080 with 150% scaling.
At native resolution, no scaling I need a magnifying glass! 4K on a 13.3 inch display is rediculous. But its so fine that any resolution looks smooth and displays well.

The 55 inch 4k OLED screen works beatifully at native resolution for a desktop PC. You just have a LOT of space to work. I used to have 2x 30 inch dell monitor. And this is way, way, bigger and better and image quality is quite mesmerising.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 18:17

Side view at low brightness indoors.
Attachments
latop-angle.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Swan T.W. » 12 Jul 2021, 18:34

You must be really bores beer
Swan T.W.

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 18:40

Yes. But lenny said he would worry about the 1000 nit daylight screen having narrow view angles as he had previous experience of that. This was to demonstrate that this isnt the case here. Looks the same at any angle pretty much. Because these are shock, and water proof, and the display is bright so that it can be seen outdoors they would be perfect mounted on a wheelchair. A rain storm for e.g no problem. And can be seen in sunshine. And mounted on a chair with rattle and vibration not an issue as conforms to millitary specs. And all day battery power.

So really for lenny. Only downside is the weight of the things Its as if they are made of stone.

As here:
What's the angle of view on your new portable? HP has a 1000 nit screen available for the X360-14 convertible, but they achieved that by going to an extremely narrow viewing angle - then advertise this as a privacy "feature" for use in office environments. The 400 nit OLED is too bright for normal room light and good outdoors if not in strong, direct sunlight, but I did have to add a control for screen brightness to Rachi's program because the keyboard (with its brightness F keys) is deactivated when folded back to mount on Rachi's chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 18:46

Very high contrast. Good blacks. Not to OLED standards but better than the dell 4k laptop infinity edge used on the xps and 7370 (on the right) which already had remarkable displays.

Turne up brightness indoors and you really need sunglasses.

At indoor levels. Compare above to straight on:
Attachments
laptops3.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything