Windows 11

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Windows 11

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jun 2021, 13:41

Installed the leaked version a week ago. Temporarily to check it out.

I like it. Once reconfigured to make it usable... And it runs "apps" natively for android, no emulators etc from amazon store. Everything else works as before.

Now back on a restored win 10.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Windows 11

Postby Gnomatic » 25 Jun 2021, 21:18

Burgerman wrote:
And it runs "apps" natively for android, no emulators etc from amazon store. Everything else works as before.

Very interesting.

Does it still have the control panel?
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jun 2021, 23:10

Yep. Well hidden and looks different. Remember that its still not even a alpha release though. So who knows what the final one will be like. Its a better solution for a mix of devices like all in ones, laptops, pads, small screens etc. it also has a lot of code thats cleaned up and saves around 30% battery power for mobile devices so longer run times. And so on. Wont run on pre 2016 without TPM 2 enabled devices however. Win 10 supported for another 4 years. And this is a FREE upgrade any time during that 4 years. Maybe longer. But 10 will work fine long after support ends anyway. Seems to use more memory if you load a lot of stuff up though. Hardly a problem today as ram is cheap. My new laptop has 32GB which is double what I will ever use. My desktop has 64GB mem which is all but impossible to use.

And with fast NVMe drives even if it runs out of memory they use swap file to disk so fast you can barely notice the difference anyway now. Supposed to make better use of many cores. So as to take advantage of the latest craze for more CPU cores than most programs can ever need. But its a bit unfinished! Not even a beta yet! So I deleted it. Can be found on the net if you care.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 26 Jun 2021, 23:10

it wont allow me to check my system too see if it can be upgraded

not sure why - i seem to meet the requirements -

maybe my Graphics card dosnt ?

750ti - is the card i am using - nothing special i know

running I7 - the win 10 i got from you BM - memory 16 Gig - SSD 128 Gig -

how can i get a copy ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 08:32

Its not so simple...

1. You need to run it in a virtual enviroment. And thats just how this not yet even a beta is right now. So virtual box or something similar.
2. You needa TPM 2.0 chip on the motherboard and enabled in bios which all my PCs and laptops have. Or an emulation in your virtual enviroment.
3. You need to make yourself a bootable install usb stick, using rufus or your favorite tool. Because you cant do that from the usual microsoft web page obviously. I used the strelec boot memory stick. And just copied the contents of the ISO onto it.
Its available as a torrent. And a link to it was on reddit which is now gone. Thats where I got mine. Its not exactly prime time ready yet!

And not that it matters if you do a clean install in a virtual enviroment but you cannot upgrade LTSC that way regardless. It will involve a clean install. And not direct to hardware.

So download virtual box, and rufus to make a bootable memory stick with your iso file. https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufus.mirror/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 27 Jun 2021, 15:23

Ha!, and I have it running on a Core 2 Duo laptop with 4GB RAM, no TPM or Secure Boot is available on that! :ugeek:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 27 Jun 2021, 16:33

when i ran that check tool - its telling me that i need updates - when i go to update - says its up to date -

its very possiable my system is Old - even though i meet the specs needed - maybe my MB does not - it was not even Win 10 supported back then my MB -

i think with a Clean fresh install it may work - not sure - either way not a big deal - i have to upgrade my system at some point - maybe i wait till Win 11 comes out and figure out which chip i am going with

AMD or Intel - i am not sure whats what with that - too confusing -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 27 Jun 2021, 17:33

Well if you use a lot of USB devices, stay with an Intel build expresso. AMD are still trying to figure out the USB issue that's been plaguing them since the Ryzen/Threadripper series launched.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 17:38

Ha!, and I have it running on a Core 2 Duo laptop with 4GB RAM, no TPM or Secure Boot is available on that! :ugeek:

Steve

Your lucky!

Theres a guy on reddit that got it to do the same. No luck here. It objects to all my computers unless I run it in a virtual computer ontop of 10. So theres that. Also there may be more than one leaked version out there. So theres also that! Your mileage may vary. Just watched a linus vid and he too couldnt get it to run on metal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odZSCdNTFPw

I am going to wait till its finished.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFCeCPpfnhQ
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 27 Jun 2021, 18:37

<going to wait till its finished>

That would seem sensible.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 19:05

Yes. I really just wanted a preview. And other than the central menu everything else seems pretty good. They have left all the stuff desktop and laptop users need and want. And it can be customised in a bunch of ways I need. Everything runs fine - old programs etc. And its quite pretty. It uses your graphics card rather more than the CPU so runs crap in an emulator. It makes better use of multiple threads/processors so getting that 8 core CPU or more will actually make a little more sense.

The menu can be moved back to the left if you mess about in the same old registry. Which I would do. Theres quite a lot to like. Esp the battery power needs. That should extend battery use on mobile devices like laptops down the pub... By around 30% apparently! Because code has been written to be less lasteful. And because it uses more hardware rendering rather than CPU. Of course every PC setup will vary.

But its way from finished. Oh, all 10s drivers seem to work too. So your old scanner etc will be OK. At least in this pre alpha leaked version.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 27 Jun 2021, 19:24

If you use the USB boot media, then it won't install on any pre-2018 PC... But there's a few workarounds...

The easiest one is to copy the install.wim extracted from the sources folder in the Win 11 ISO file to a Win 10 bootable USB stick, overwriting the Win 10 install.wim file. Now you can install W11 on bare metal. :thumbup:

Another option is to use Sergei's WinPE bootable media and use the WinNTSetup program to copy the W11 image file (install.wim contains many different editions) to an empty HDD/SSD/NVMe drive. This was the method I used to install it on a 2009 era laptop.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 19:46

ETA 02/07/2021 Please check the order history below for any possible delays.

New laptop in 5 days! Hopefully.
Woohoo. Its going to be heavy. Bulky. And bomb proof.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 19:51

Is it possible to make a windows LTSC install that is configured EXACTY how mine is now minus the drivers so that it can be deployed to any new machine. With all software, settings, etc.

I know that I can just clone a drive from one PC to another. And after a bit of a fight, and replacing many drivers with correct ones, windows having a nervous breakdown and 30 reboots later everything is working fine without the hassle of years of reconfiguring and registry mods etc etc. That works as long as they are all similar platforms like my intel i7 pc, and my laptop.

There must be a better way.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Swan T.W. » 27 Jun 2021, 20:08

Burgerman wrote:Is it possible to make a windows LTSC install that is configured EXACTY how mine is now minus the drivers so that it can be deployed to any new machine. With all software, settings, etc.

I know that I can just clone a drive from one PC to another. And after a bit of a fight, and replacing many drivers with correct ones, windows having a nervous breakdown and 30 reboots later everything is working fine without the hassle of years of reconfiguring and registry mods etc etc. That works as long as they are all similar platforms like my intel i7 pc, and my laptop.

Use a MAC. :dance :dance
Swan T.W.

Postby steves1977uk » 27 Jun 2021, 20:22

Is it possible to make a windows LTSC install that is configured EXACTY how mine is now minus the drivers so that it can be deployed to any new machine. With all software, settings, etc.

Here BM... https://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is- ... windows-10 :thumbup:

Swan T.W. wrote:Use a MAC. :dance :dance

Mac's are ok for basic tasks like youtube and stuff, but you can't run native apps like the PL8 software, programming software for our chairs, etc... You still have to have Windows so may as well get a PC to start with. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 20:49

Swan T.W. wrote:
Use a MAC. :dance

How unfortunate. You say that like its a good thing! :clap

I just paid a lot of money for a new laptop. I wouldnt want a mac as a gift, or if it really was free. And they are not. Too restrictive, too tied to trying to make you buy apple stuff, desperately tries to stop simple copy or download of free movies music, software etc. too incapable of running all the useful stuff I have here. They make everything over difficult. And for that they charge you twice what its worth.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jun 2021, 21:09

Audit mode only allows you to configure for a specific computer though. I need OOBE but with all my software and windows configuration as it is right now to deploy to any PC. Which as far as I can tell is not actually possible. You would need to have all the drivers installed for the target device which is unknown.

One of the first things I do on new laptops is delete the rescue partition or whatever they call it, increase the size of the main windows partition instead. Then remove all the bundled crap and time limited software like antivirus or office365 etc. Then take windows out of dummy mode, download all updates, install firefox, remove all the metro crap, defragment it. Then make a compressed backup of the disk on a memory stick and throw in a draw.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 08:08

I discovered it works with intels on chip PTT as well. Same as microsofts TPM 2.0. Which is avaialable on anything intel for 3 to 4 years as long as the motherboard supports this. Most do.

And this also supports bitlocker which I dont like.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 12 Jul 2021, 09:15

Burgerman wrote:Audit mode only allows you to configure for a specific computer though. I need OOBE but with all my software and windows configuration as it is right now to deploy to any PC. Which as far as I can tell is not actually possible. You would need to have all the drivers installed for the target device which is unknown.

One of the first things I do on new laptops is delete the rescue partition or whatever they call it, increase the size of the main windows partition instead. Then remove all the bundled crap and time limited software like antivirus or office365 etc. Then take windows out of dummy mode, download all updates, install firefox, remove all the metro crap, defragment it. Then make a compressed backup of the disk on a memory stick and throw in a draw.

I thought the advice was never to defrag solid state drives? Is that advice wrong?
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 09:37

It doesent make them any faster so achieves little.
It wears them out faster as they have a finite life.

And knowing they are fragmented agitates me! So I do it anyway. They last around 30x longer now than when that advice was important.

But you dont need to bother!!

I have been defragmenting the ssd on my desktop for 6 years daily. No sign of any problems so far. Ultimately its pointless.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 10:30

Heres my latest problem.

I had a laptp that looked tatty and knackered and the mouse was playing up, as was the mobile sim card. Thats the super lightweight super thin, 7370 with a 4k touch screen on the right. So I ordered a all metal chassis dell rugged/waterproof faster machine with every go faster option. 2.7K.

Then the man from dell turned up. And replaced every part of the 7370 including the screen, and lid complete, the motherboard, the sim card device, etc etc and included a new mouse/palmrest and in fact everything but the hard drive and the battery (which is as new). So now my 7370 was totally as new. I didnt need the one I ordered... But as a business order you cant return. So now I had 2. Then I offered a silly amount for a "spared or repair" laptop. That turned out to be unused with almost no damage other than the metal back cover was dented. And I ordered a new cover for 22 quid in the US.

So now I have THREE and the two rugged ones are basically brand new. But one cost 2.7k has dells 5 year next day warranty. The other was 350 spares or repair.

Cant tell the difference! Although slightly lower spec. CPU is i5 in place of i7. And no descrete graphics chip so no game playing. 16GB in place of 3GB mem. Both 1TB NVMe drives. Otherwise the same. I am unexpectedly awash with as new dell refurb or new laptops. Will be doing a deal with my freinds and family.

:lol:
Attachments
latop-angle.jpg
5420.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 10:34

For those wondering the two on the left are all magnesium. And whilst thats light, its still ending up around 6 to 7 lb per latop. Instead of 1.something lb for the carbon fibre one on the right. Around 3 to 4 times the weight.

But is metal/rubber/waterproof and can be used with its 1000 nits super bright screen in sunshine or on the rain forrest or shower. Or the freezer. Or be bounced and used on site. Its got lots of performance and two large hot swappable batts for all day use. And every imaginable type of connectivity and connector/port. As used by cops, field workers, oil industry, builders etc. Or me. My carers bounce and spill stuff on my laptop regularly. So theres that!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 12 Jul 2021, 19:56

greybeard wrote:I thought the advice was never to defrag solid state drives? Is that advice wrong?

Windows 8+ has a trim function for SSDs/NVMe drives, so instead of defragging it'll trim the drive instead. Only HDDs get defragged.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 12 Jul 2021, 23:42

C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.exe

Is microsofts drive optimiser.

Type or copy and past that into a dos box, or run command, or add it in a new shortcut. Or go there and click it.

Although I do actually defragment my drives with a 3rd party program... Called perfect disk. It has many modes of defragmentation inc one for SSDs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything