Schoolbus Turned Accessible RV

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Schoolbus Turned Accessible RV

Postby Gnomatic » 31 Jul 2021, 18:56

Gnomatic

Re: Schoolbus Turned Accessible RV

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2021, 04:56

Whats "barnwood"? Never saw a barn tree. He likes wood. I couldnt manage in that bus. But good for him.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 01 Aug 2021, 15:41

This is what I'd like. Like living on a boat, only not as damp. This is enough living space for me.
Looks like this fellow can use his legs a bit, or at least feel them, or else he'd maybe not find this possible.
I bet he he doesn't actually live on it though. His laundry for example.

I think reclaimed barn wood is what comes from dismantled barns not barn trees, as barn trees are too rare to ever produce wood for recycling, they just pick the barns for single use at extremely high cost. :?
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 01 Aug 2021, 19:23

This is what I'd like. Like living on a boat, only not as damp. This is enough living space for me.

You can ive in my garage if you want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sacharlie » 02 Aug 2021, 03:14

Cool it came with the commercial lift.
He has it together.
sacharlie

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2021, 11:48

Whats he going to do though when he gets older. And instead of having an accessible house thats doubled in value, that he can go live in. He has an old bus thats not worth a thing. Probably needing new chassis/engine etc.

Really you need both. And have a bus or camper or whatever for long trips or summer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Aug 2021, 11:59

I think that if I was going to do this then I would rent out my house to pay for lease on one of these new.

https://www.rvusa.com/diesel-pusher-rvs ... sel+pusher

Then I can always go back to my home. Makes no sense in the UK though. So would go to the USA.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 02 Aug 2021, 20:33

Need to be careful with these gin palaces. If living aboard for more than a couple of weeks you need more home comforts, less glossy tiles and sofas lined up along the sides. But if you are going on a road trip with your groupies then this is super.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 04 Aug 2021, 04:21

What do we mean by home comforts?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 04 Aug 2021, 12:41

Living aboard, most things aren't necessary... good because you have very little money, but you haven't got accommodation costs either. a glossy truck like that site had, that's for the super rich and making movies.

You have to be able to wash and dry laundry. You need privacy. you need personal and equipment cleaning things. you need personal storage. equipment storage. hot & cold running water. sewage. Electricity. air conditioning /heating. Sociable, comfortable seats, not one person freezing and the other burning. good insulation so as not to freeze at night.

we had parents + 4 children/ teens living in the 53' boat... pointy front and back cut off maybe 10' from that? idk, that's used for storage. got to be self sufficient for months, at sea.

On the truck through Africa we had 12 adults in about 30' with open/canvas sides and a roof bench which was always in use. We travelled overland by day and stopped to camp at night. 12 adults...I do not recommend it. Too much conflict.

It would be a matter of how much to spend on what...
A big tv? I would never, myself. Get a crick in my neck and miss the point of travelling! I'd need a lift for a wheelchair, so the schoolbus conversion appeals to me.

All different with lots of money on a short trip with friends, then you have everything glossy and showy and a driver/courier/cook and spend the time entertaining.

I didn't make the designs for the trips above and I've not seen the bus plans either... but that's my initial thinking.
I'd want more of an itinerary, really.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 04 Aug 2021, 13:21

If swapping my house for a RV then I would want all that show too!

Living aboard, most things aren't necessary... good because you have very little money, but you haven't got accommodation costs either. a glossy truck like that site had, that's for the super rich and making movies.

You have to be able to wash and dry laundry. You need privacy. you need personal and equipment cleaning things. you need personal storage. equipment storage. hot & cold running water. sewage. Electricity. air conditioning /heating. Sociable, comfortable seats, not one person freezing and the other burning. good insulation so as not to freeze at night.

But they do have all of that. And more. Yes expensive. But so was my house. I would be swapping one for the other. So why would I slum it?

Met a black guy in the US 25 years back that was in a huge one. I asked how much. He said it didnt matter it was his home. He worked from it, he had motorcycles, and he travelled every few months to another place. It was very very impressive and super comfortable. Air conditioned luxury with built in heat, generators, bathroom, hundreds of gallons of fresh, grey, black water. He was just himself and his girlfreind around 40. And yes washer, dryer, and a huge TV inside and another outside. He was a programmer.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 04 Aug 2021, 16:33

:lol: Why indeed. better to stay at home. tv set works.
pub nearby where everybody knows your name.
Age gracefully and have nice things.

A big glossy gin palace, you can have friends aboard. I wouldn't advise that for more than 2 weeks or they will no longer be your friends, something will break, tempers will go, moodiness will set in. :argument
biscuit

Postby biscuit » 04 Aug 2021, 16:58

He said it didnt matter it was his home. He worked from it

leads to
Whats he going to do though when he gets older. And instead of having an accessible house thats doubled in value

if you sell your house you have capital for gallivanting in style. if not you probably find you have to cut back somewhere.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 04 Aug 2021, 20:42

But IF I were to do that and I am not, I would rent out my house. Use that to lease a huge new RV, and then its costing me nothing is it. And I can move back into my home or sell it probably for double the price many years later. As already mentioned. One of the many advantages in buying over renting. But that guy mentioned that thats his only home in the vid.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 04 Aug 2021, 22:48

I think you'd find there are problems with that. I suspect the insurance on a leased RV would be rather high. Also the cost of running repairs. Running the thing at all. Or even parking it...I don't know. Seems to me that there would be better ways to travel and better ways to show off than having a swanky RV.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 04 Aug 2021, 23:25

Running it? If its leased thats all included. And insurance frequently is too. Not only that but most leases are 5 years. So new one every 5 years! No repairs. No problems. And I have insured similar stuff in the past. Not realy a problem. Fuel in the US is cheap. Parking it? Have you been to the US? Its somewhat bigger than you are thinking! :D
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Bubbernator » 06 Aug 2021, 04:52

I think "Single Use Barn Tree" is going to be the name of my next rock-'n'-roll band.....
We just bought a camper/trailer. Caravan?
Anyway, it's what is known as a "toy hauler", meaning that in addition to the standard camper accoutrements there is a large ramp door that folds down for you to load your motorbike, golf cart, power chair, scooter, whatever.
We want to take the grandchildren on a cross-country tour and this seemed to fit the need quite nicely.
Easy to tow, easy to park, unhook it at the campground and use the pickup truck for excursions, grocery runs, etc. If we ever make it to Yellowstone Park I'll send y'all a picture!
Bubbernator

Postby slomobile » 20 Sep 2021, 22:24

I had a school bus camper years ago built for 4 guys and their dirtbikes. Painted black with flames. Said HONDA where it used to say SCHOOL BUS. When I got married, and relocated to a new state, I thought "what luck! I can just load everything in the bus and drive it down. We can do family camping trips, park it behind the barn." Wife says "You will not park that monstrosity in our driveway for even one second." Had to sell it for $400 with much of my stuff in it. Basically $10k loss. Buy smaller enclosed trailer for $3k use it once and sell it for $2k. It's nice being married. But sometimes...
slomobile

Return to Anything