Fluke warranty and calibration services

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Fluke warranty and calibration services

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2021, 09:22

Sent my fluke 289 in for calibration/certification etc as I do every few years. No point having a super expensive complex multimeter if its not absolutely accurate. I tested it against many cheapies over the years. They are pretty inaccurate in some cases. When they calibrate its not a simple process. They test it at various temperatures and at many points along a current, and voltage scale, frequenciey, resistance, capacitances etc etc. And its got a lot of measurement scales and types that most multimeteres cant do.

I know for a fact that my cheap fluke meter reads spot on on ac volts, at the high end, like 240V. As long as its a clean sine wave. And its miles out when reading lower voltages. And it reads mV considerably low. It also undereads at 10A and overeads at say 25 or 50mA. So a simple voltage reference calibration wouldnt be any use. Hence they have some rather technical equipment and it takes a good couple of hours to fully calibrate a complex meter that does pulsewidths, super low resistances, duty cycles, capacitance, frequencies, and peak/high/low values, ac/dc and dc/ac measurements for noise etc. So £££. But then I KNOW its correct and very accurate everywhere. Is this important? For most stuff no. For some hobby stuff yes. Not on a powerchair really. But some cheap meters are *really* crap and can be say a 0.2V out on a battery measurement.

ANYWAY...
They found a bad capacitor on the board that just keeps the clock accurate when battery is removed. Thats all it does. Dont know how since it still keeps the time when I do it. Its 10 + years old. They just sent me an email saying they are awaiting delivery of new units. They are replacing it with brand new 2021 one with newer firmware. You gotta love flukes warranty! How are they still in business.
Attachments
F-289_06c_600x402.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Fluke warranty and calibration services

Postby steves1977uk » 10 Aug 2021, 11:01

Same here BM, they replaced mine with a 2021 model because it just died for no reason. They do calibration services in Norwich which isn't far from me, so I can drop mine off there anytime if needed.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2021, 12:40

How long? Been waiting weeks!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 10 Aug 2021, 19:32

Mine was 7-14 days IIRC. Maybe in future send it to me and I'll drop it into Norwich service centre for you BM.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 10 Aug 2021, 21:00

Might do that. They say its in customs! A week ago.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 11 Aug 2021, 10:50

Where on earth did you send it to BM??? :?

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2021, 13:52

I sent it to that place near you. They spent a week deciding I was getting a new one. And the rest is just awaiting stock from the USA and that has been S L O W.

Still a brand new one in place of a 10 year old one that seemed to be just fine to me so I cant really complain! Excellent service. :thumbup:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 11 Aug 2021, 14:56

I agree BM! :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 11 Aug 2021, 19:30

I only just realised I posted this in the wrong place. :oops:

So moved it here.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 25 Aug 2021, 22:10

After a MONTH in customs :fencing my new fluke 289 turned up. I sent it in with a set of eneloop rechargables, and no est leads or box. They sent me a brand new one, with retail packaging, new set of high quality quarter turn sheilded and croc clip test leads, all documentation etc. Manufacture date shows as 5 weeks ago. And in the US. And fluke calibrated it 3 days ago with certificate. All marvelous. Screen isnt as bright as my old one though. And they KEPT my eneloops! Still cant complain though. It was a 10 year old meter and I bought it from the US as a very cheap deal. New/other.

Now I just checked its currents, resistances, and voltages, frewuencies, etc against my own calibration tool and all correct to 4 or 5 decimal places everywhere. So looks like I am good to go with a meter that is more capable than I am.

Just measured the mains voltage and frequency, symetry, noise, peak values etc and everything looks to be working correctly... I am so please I ordered a glass screen protector!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything