Win 10 LTSC - ?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Win 10 LTSC - ?

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 04:05

BM - that boot usb i made with the Win LTSC

it works - i tried it on my computer - it boots and loads etc, but what is different about it - from the Win 10 Pro ?

i dosnt have any browsers - seems to have nothing at all on the menu bar - or just very different - will take time to learn it - get my shortcuts etc,

what am i missing by using this ? when i installed firefox - i was not able to search - just did nothing -

wondering if i should use it on my new system ? i was under the impression its limited with junk - it seems very limited to the point you cant even search ?

i went back to my old setup - now i know to put all my programs on a usb to install -

at least boot usb works fine - i didnt try the AIO for it to see if it worked -

looks like it will take some time to setup the desktop with shortcuts etc, but i wonder why i was not able to search after installing firefox ?

what gives ?

i dont recall what AIO i used to activate the Win 10 i am using now - i got it from you a while back - would you still have it ?- in case i install the same OS i am using now on the new setup -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Win 10 LTSC - ?

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 04:13

i just read that an LTSC Win 11 wont be out for a few years - is it worth installing this one now and have to wait years to get Win 11 ?

what would be the better one now to get Win 11 once its ready ?

Win 10 Pro ?
expresso

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 04:23

this is what i am running now

i dont recall what i used to activate it - i must have gotten it from you at the time

i may be ready to build it in a few weeks - waiting on some parts -

i want to be ready to install something then that will work - and able to get Win 11 from the updates ?

https://winbuzzer.com/2021/07/22/micros ... rs-xcxwbn/
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 04:37

Be specific one question at a time. Or I will have to write more than a sentence. And I will try to help. As it is I have no idea what to answer.

That screenshot may be your new instalation, your old instalalation and is Enterprize LTSC 1806. As it says on screen. How it got there and what you used to activate it only you can know. And presumably you kept both software and activator safe. Thats why we all do backups / storage right?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 04:47

Ok - ok the win 10 i made the boot usb with -

it worked - i installed it - but it was very limited - had almost nothing on the menu - - or should i say start menu - there was almost nothing there -

maybe its hidden -

i installed firefox - i went to search using firefox - and was not able to search - did nothing - not sure why - i did nothing other than install it - i had to install firefox from a usb since there were no browsers with that OS - not a big deal -

after installing firefox - i went to search for some stuff - nothing happened -

besides that - the OS i am using right now is Win 10 LSTC - i have the disk for that one - i know my new setup wont have any Dvd or CD drives - i do have an external one for those times if i ever needed one -

between the one i am using now - i posted the pic - compared to the one i have on the boot usb to install on new system -

whats the difference between them - the start menu for sure is not the same -

will it work the same or would i be so limited if using the new on on the boot usb - not sure what the difference is from this LTSC vs the Pro ? is it just the privacy stuff - which is fine without that - but will it work the same in terms of updating it - or drivers - etc,
expresso

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 04:52

Burgerman wrote:Be specific one question at a time. Or I will have to write more than a sentence. And I will try to help. As it is I have no idea what to answer.

That screenshot may be your new instalation, your old instalalation and is Enterprize LTSC 1806. As it says on screen. How it got there and what you used to activate it only you can know. And presumably you kept both software and activator safe. Thats why we all do backups / storage right?

no its the old OS i been using all along - the screen shot - i am using it now - well i have a folder for Win 10 and activator etc, - but over time - i saved many there - not sure which is for which now - i may be able to figure it out -

i have the activator for the new OS on the boot usb i made - my intention was to install it fresh on new setup - use the activator and - then install my stuff one at a time - make backups etc, -

what was strange was - firefox - i couldnt search - is that because its so limited and wont allow it ? or do you have to configure the browsers to work etc, -

in the past you install a browser and just search etc, use it - just works - yes i had internet connection - nothing at all was touched or changed - i just installed it - installed firefox -

i went back to the way i was -
expresso

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 05:02

OR maybe i got this Win 10 from when i had Win 7 and got the free upgrade

its been a while - i dont remember how i got this Win 10 - i though maybe it was from you with the crack -

i know i have a disk labled Win 10 64 fresh - i dont know which crack was used for this one - if any at all -

i think i got it from you - years ago now - looking at my folder with the Win 10 stuff - i cant say which is what for sure

the only one i know for sure is the current activator you gave me - to go with the boot usb i made -

i have my old office 2016 - i can still use that one- have the activator for that - all i use it for - to type a letter - etc. dosnt have be the latest - but if you have it also - i take it - :thumbup:

going to bed - take your time - answer simple - cheers
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 05:36

ONE at a time. You just contradicted everything all over again.

I am answering THIS post.
Ok - ok the win 10 i made the boot usb with -

it worked - i installed it - but it was very limited - had almost nothing on the menu - - or should i say start menu - there was almost nothing there -

maybe its hidden -

What did you install??? What is "IT"?? This is what heppens when insufficient detail.

i installed firefox - i went to search using firefox - and was not able to search - did nothing - not sure why - i did nothing other than install it - i had to install firefox from a usb since there were no browsers with that OS - not a big deal -

Again, nit sure what you have installed. Becase you didnt say. And that screenshot you said was your old system. There are many versions of LTSC around. NON of them get put on your PC automatically with an update. Some of the ones on the net have lots stripped out. Some are really meant fot the IOT people. But once you installed firefox I have no idea whay you cant search. You must determine that.

after installing firefox - i went to search for some stuff - nothing happened -
besides that - the OS i am using right now is Win 10 LSTC - i have the disk for that one -

What sort of disk, and what is "that one"? If you mean a DVD then why?

What does "nothing happened" actually mean? No internet connectivity, windows not correctly configured, a 404 page, no search results like a blank page, how did you search? With what, the search bar, a google page, ??? DETAILS matter.
i know my new setup wont have any Dvd or CD drives - i do have an external one for those times if i ever needed one -

You never need one. Those are a throwback to the 90s. I dont own any cd or dvd for a decade at least.
between the one i am using now - i posted the pic - compared to the one i have on the boot usb to install on new system -whats the difference between them - the start menu for sure is not the same -

I have no idea as you still have not told me what you installed. The start menu on LTSC should have very little. Its not microsofts money making machine its an operating system thet YOU control and configure.

will it work the same or would i be so limited if using the new on on the boot usb - not sure what the difference is from this LTSC vs the Pro ? is it just the privacy stuff - which is fine without that - but will it work the same in terms of updating it - or drivers - etc.

I have no idea because you wont say what you installed. How could I possibly know?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 05:48

Now another post answered

OR maybe i got this Win 10 from when i had Win 7 and got the free upgrade
its been a while - i dont remember how i got this Win 10 - i though maybe it was from you with the crack -

i know i have a disk labled Win 10 64 fresh - i dont know which crack was used for this one - if any at all -

Heres an idea. LABEL folders and add notes so you dont confuse yourself and know what is what.
You CANNOT get an update from a bedroom version of windows to ANY version of LTSC...
May I suggest you read about LTSC an how it works because if I add all the stuff you need to know you wont read it and will go off on your own opinions and stuff all over again.

i think i got it from you - years ago now - looking at my folder with the Win 10 stuff - i cant say which is what for sure

As I said, ORGANISE YOURSELF. Label things properly. Add notes.
the only one i know for sure is the current activator you gave me - to go with the boot usb i made -

I uploaeded several. Use the latest/newest.

i have my old office 2016 - i can still use that one- have the activator for that - all i use it for - to type a letter - etc. dosnt have be the latest - but if you have it also - i take it - :thumbup:

2 things.
ALL the activators esp the newest ones I posted will activate EVERY version of windows and office.
And why on earth use an old version of office when 2019 is better, and freely available...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 10:23

BM - that boot usb i made with the Win LTSC
it works - i tried it on my computer - it boots and loads etc, but what is different about it - from the Win 10 Pro ?

EVERYTHING. That was the point! And you are ALREADY using it... Only you have configured everything how you like it. Which is why I said ALL ALONG to clone your existing PC to your new NVMe drive. And use it.

i dosnt have any browsers - seems to have nothing at all on the menu bar - or just very different - will take time to learn it - get my shortcuts etc,
what am i missing by using this ? when i installed firefox - i was not able to search - just did nothing -

LTSC is an OPERATING SYSTEM. Its not all stuffed with microsofts moneymaking garbage or useless programs. YOU install and configure those as you already did over time on your old computer. On LTSC as I can see from the screenshot. Again, when you say "search" what are you doing? Search on the internet requires a browser and a search engine configuring and has nothing whatever to do with the operating system it all runs on so I am completely baffled as to what you expect or are doing. And Which is why I said ALL ALONG to clone your existing PC to your new NVMe drive. And use it.

wondering if i should use it on my new system ? i was under the impression its limited with junk - it seems very limited to the point you cant even search ?

Search what, with what? Cortana? Thats not a part of LTSC as its just more microsoft junk tracking you and trying to make you use microsofts services and search engine and so make cash out of you. Google? Thats a web site on the internet. Your browser can search many different ones and I dont often use google either. if you configure it properly. Or the file search in windows? Thats all still where it always was. And when you say use it on your new computer, why not? You are ALREADY using it on your current one!!! At least I think so because you wont say wa=hat you actually installed! I am presuming LTSC.

i went back to my old setup - now i know to put all my programs on a usb to install -

Or: Which is why I said ALL ALONG to clone your existing PC to your new NVMe drive. And use it. Since you just tried a clean install and did not like it!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2021, 16:05

I guess expresso's trying to search using the taskbar search function, which is very limited in LTSC. I always hide it and load the browser from the desktop icon.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 16:25

Firefox was used to search - not the taskbar - i said that from the start -

its not that i didnt like the new install - it was very different - start menu - etc, - and didnt have nothing compared to what i have on the start menu -

its not a problem if thats how it is - just have to figure out the hidden settings and how to get where i want - like MY PC -

about two days ago - you gave me the link to download the OS and made a boot usb with rufus - thats the one i installed -

its Win 10 LTSC - - either way - the activator works for all of them - ? in that case - its fine -

i dont have a activator for office 2019 - if you do - send it over - a one click version - link to download office 2019 - i see others 365 office etc,

its not that important - as long as i have something i can write a letter etc, i dont use all the other stuff - but good to have - i have used it once or twice - mostly just letters

whats the easiest way to clone what i have now ?

when i get my new SSD M2 - can i clone it now - then just install it on my new setup ? or will the hardware give me an issue - since its different ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 19:16

Firefox was used to search - not the taskbar - i said that from the start -

Then that ONLY depends on how you configure firefox, which search method you configured, and which online search engine you choose. Obviously you cant search the web without an internet connection configured either. Did you install all the correct drivers etc?
Non of this has anything to do with the operationg system.

its not that i didnt like the new install - it was very different - start menu - etc, - and didnt have nothing compared to what i have on the start menu -
its not a problem if thats how it is - just have to figure out the hidden settings and how to get where i want - like MY PC -

Well you are I am guessing installing LTSC??? But you still havent told me. And that is exactly the SAME operating system you have on your old/existing setup. So as I already mentioned, instead of starting out all confused and not configured wih nothing installed just make a backup of your OLD PC. And deploy that straight to your new NVMe drive and new PC. Its faster, easier, and its already fully configured. And will save you an awful lot of confusion and time. I always do that. Starting from a new setup takes weeks to months to fully setup.

about two days ago - you gave me the link to download the OS and made a boot usb with rufus - thats the one i installed -

Well I gave many links...

its Win 10 LTSC - - either way - the activator works for all of them - ? in that case - its fine -

Then its EXACTLY the same as you are alredy using on your old computer. So just transfer a copy of that disk complete to your NEW computer. Then add any new drivers etc on the first few boots when it cries...

i dont have a activator for office 2019 - if you do - send it over - a one click version - link to download office 2019 - i see others 365 office etc,

How many times can I say this. ALL the activators activate ALL windows versions, and all office versions...

whats the easiest way to clone what i have now ?

You can either CLONE the drive from your old PC. Or do a full disk backup and deploy that backup to your new NVMe drive. It amounts to the same thing.
Then fit it in the new machine and boot!!!
Use whatever your favorite backup program is. I use Macrium FREE version. Its easy.

when i get my new SSD M2 - can i clone it now - then just install it on my new setup ? or will the hardware give me an issue - since its different ?

Yep and yep.
It will have all the wrong drivers. It may boot. Mine always have after a couple of attempts. And worst case you might need to do a "repair" install over the top. You have nothing to lose do you. You can always format it and use that USB stick and start from scratch if it doesent work. (it will).
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 19:43

yes i will try that first - nothing to loose

when i get my M2. - i have an external case already - will connect it and clone this OS with Macrium - and try that first

worse case - i use the new fresh usb i have ready

it would be easier for sure - i see in a few weeks maybe - once all parts arrive -

thanks
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 19:51

If it wont boot be sure you have all the bios setting correct!
If it still wont boot use your USB stick and do a REPAIR not an install. Then it will....

Then go to the DEVICE MANAGER. Choose SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.
Then choose to DELETE everything it shows that is greyed out. These are the old drivers for your old motherboard and other devices no longer present. There may be lots!

Then add all the missing drivers initially from the disk that comes with your board. Then remove any SOFTWARE that was motherboard specific. For e.g gigabyte stuff if you now have a ASUS or whatever. And then you are done.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 19:52

This is all that stuff that you told me you didnt want to know earlier. :argument
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 20:00

Burgerman wrote:If it wont boot be sure you have all the bios setting correct!
If it still wont boot use your USB stick and do a REPAIR not an install. Then it will....

Then go to the DEVICE MANAGER. Choose SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.
Then choose to DELETE everything it shows that is greyed out. These are the old drivers for your old motherboard and other devices no longer present. There may be lots!

Then add all the missing drivers initially from the disk that comes with your board. Then remove any SOFTWARE that was motherboard specific. For e.g gigabyte stuff if you now have a ASUS or whatever. And then you are done.

how do i use the disk that comes with the board with no disk drives - haha - no worries - i have a disk external usb for these purposes - thats why you still need one on hand -

i didnt get Asus - i got a new gigabyte MB - which has the bios flashback also - in case i need to - i will just try it first - if it boots fine - if not bios flashback usb is ready -

this is why sometimes a fresh install is better - you dont have to worry about old drivers etc, - then install programs one at a time as you want or need -

clone is great also if all goes well - makes it easier - if it dosnt go well - its then harder - i have all winter to tinker with it

i keep both PCs on my desk till i am good with the new one - just unplug cable to monitor and plug in new PC - leave on desk till i am ready to replace -

i will just take my WD drives out of my old and stick them in the new one - at first i didnt want to but its 4T - i have the space for it anyway in the new Case - i will use them - two M2 drives - one SSD - also
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 20:04

how do i use the disk that comes with the board with no disk drives

Download it from the web and stick it on your USB stick. And/or newer better drivers instead. Go to the motherboard page, click downloads... This stuff is basic computer stuff!

The disk will be out of date anyway.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 22:35

yeah - done it - i may use the disk it comes with first to just get started anyway -

i see when the time comes

what size usb drives are the most common needed - if you want to burn ISO to usb instead of disks - for example office 2019 - i have the iso - but want to burn it to usb - 8 gig would be the best size overall for this - ? i have many usbs - either 4gig - too small and or have too large a usb -

i figure i can buy 5 or 6 8 gig size - to use for this purpose and save them - as you say - instead of disks - which i want to stop using also - i have a hand full still -

i can use rufus to do that - then have to boot from it to install it ? office 2019 - or just open the usb and run it like normal ?

Win 10 - i know i have to boot from it - but other things ISO programs if i burn them to USB - then just run them as normally i would do ?

if yes - 8 gig would be the size to get ? for this purpose - 2.0 would be fine ?

i can start making rescue usb this way also instead of CD's - which both of my drives are dead anyway - havin used them in so long - they wont eject - seems stuck - dried out maybe - who knows
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 20 Aug 2021, 23:03

I threw all my small usb sticks away. My smallest ones are 256GB. I now have a couple of 512GB ones, I have two 1TB ones. I actually buy 1TB micro SD cards and put them in a tiny USB3 adapter.

I leave the tiny microSD 1TB ones plugged in to my laptop permanantly. I use them as hard drives... Gives me a couple of extra 1TB disks.
And they are all bootable (strelec) as well. So each one also has backups of C drive too on them compressed. They are 90mb read and 70MB write continuous. Its not as fast as hard disks, but what the rush they do backups as I work or sleep in the background.

I see no use for small ones. Dont hold enough. I can boot from ANY of my large USB drives and install windows, run programs, restore backups etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 23:09

i agree - small ones are useless

but i am asking for the sole purpose of using one usb for office 2019 - use another one for Win 10 -- bootable - use another one for recuse disk etc, etc,

this way each one has one function only -

is there a better way to do this then ? to keep things clear and organized -
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2021, 23:39

Why not get a 128GB+ SSD and use it with SATA-USB3 cable, make it bootable from the LTSC ISO. Then copy drivers/office 2019 and others to it, now you will have everything on SSD ready to install.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 23:45

that sounds too much to do - i dont know about drivers etc, which to do or get etc,

i have a 500gig external SSD M2 drive - its fine - i just burn it to usb drive and use it to install it - i have all the MB drives already on ssd external drive - just one driver was not able to download - will try it again another day - website must have an issue with it -
expresso

Postby expresso » 20 Aug 2021, 23:47

steves1977uk wrote:Why not get a 128GB+ SSD and use it with SATA-USB3 cable, make it bootable from the LTSC ISO. Then copy drivers/office 2019 and others to it, now you will have everything on SSD ready to install.

Steve

i wanted to know if an 8 gig flash drive is the most common size needed - if i want to use just one usb for one function - like the old days - you burn a CD for a program - - label it and save it - instead use usb in place of the disk - 8 gig should be enough for that purpose only - ?
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Aug 2021, 23:54

Yes, but why bother when you can have everything on one SSD/NVMe bootable drive? Be much faster than small USB drives.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 21 Aug 2021, 00:03

i dont get how i can burn many iso or others at once on one bootable drive -

when i burn the ISO it formats the drive dosnt it ? what your suggesting is good - i never it done it that way - and dont know what i will need later if i want to add to it

its not a big deal - i can use one of my flash drives - empty it - then burn the ISO - install it and can reuse the usb after installed

with a rescue disk - usb - dont i need to have just that one item on the drive - in case to recover from - macurium etc,
expresso

Postby Bubbernator » 21 Aug 2021, 00:07

Expresso, just get a bigger hammer.
It always works for me....
Attachments
MotoPhoto 035_copy_416x234.jpg
Bubbernator

Postby steves1977uk » 21 Aug 2021, 00:12

expresso wrote:i dont get how i can burn many iso or others at once on one bootable drive -

when i burn the ISO it formats the drive dosnt it ? what your suggesting is good - i never it done it that way - and dont know what i will need later if i want to add to it

its not a big deal - i can use one of my flash drives - empty it - then burn the ISO - install it and can reuse the usb after installed

with a rescue disk - usb - dont i need to have just that one item on the drive - in case to recover from - macurium etc,

Well, that's simple. You extract the ISO using 7-zip/WinRAR etc... into a folder on the drive you're installing from. After Windows is installed, you'd run Setup.exe from your Office 2019 folder to install it.

Super easy it is.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 00:12

Because it (they) cannot be permantly left in the laptop as a spare disk, and a little door closed! Yes not supe fast. Plenty fast enough.

This laptop then has 3 drives... ALL bootable, all storage, all backups and 2 of them strelec.
2TB NVMe M.2 boot drive.
1TB micro SD in SD slot (bootable)
1TB micro SD in a USB adapter (also bootable). All doors shut. So used as drives.

Yes I have a fast 512GB NVMe M.2 removable USB3.2 in a clear case for moving stuff around fast. Thats the one I removed from my desktop PC when I stuck some 2TB ones in it instead.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2021, 00:22

My strellec boot drives display a WINDOWS interface so its easy. You just navigate to your massive software folder, select the version of windows or office you want as a bunch of setup files. Double click setup! I can install any version of windows on any computer.

The strelec interface also allows you to run a lot of software. Several ISO image programs are included. So you can open any iso that hasnt already been extracted. And on top of that iy has a MASS of tools, software inc Macrium backup program for e.g. So you can use it to search for a suuitable backup and deploy that to new hardware. A thousand options! 1TB of stuff to choose from, inc driver packs etc. All this is from a memory stick. However this strelec bot operating system and all its tools mostly depend on the user knowing what they are doing. While some of it is simple the rest like disk tools, or boot tools, etc are not simple.

You should have one. Download the latest strelec image and make a disk. Use a tool to split that disk into a strelec boot partition as extended fat and make the big partition ntfs so you can store files much bigger thn 4GB Like backups of operating system disks. Or movies. Or whatever.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Anything