Electric Cars

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Electric Cars

Postby expresso » 17 Sep 2021, 02:11

What happened ?
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Re: Electric Cars

Postby Burgerman » 17 Sep 2021, 03:12

They figured out that fossil fuel went 20x further. And way faster. And you could "recharge" the fuel tank in 3 minutes. And were around a ton lighter. We didnt "lose it" at all. It is just that we had a much better solution. And still have.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 17 Sep 2021, 03:48

i guess - but what if we just kept at it - improving each year - 100 years of improving - we may have been way ahead now on electric -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 17 Sep 2021, 03:49

With electric you get either range OR speed - Not both.
Typical example from the pistonheads forum:

On a blast around Norfolk country roads I have seen 110 miles range from a 90d. But that was taking no consideration for regen and flat out at every single opportunity.

To the chap asking about 95 mph on a cold day. I just did Schladming to Norfolk earlier this month at at -2 with a head wind trying to maintain 85 on an autobahn I could only muster 135 range I ended up having ditch my original route because the car wasn’t going to make it had to stop 9 tines on the first day. Was a total disaster.

Going 95 anywhere in a Tesla is pretty pointless because you have to stop more so you piss away everything you gained plus more.

Unless you are willing to sit there and chill at 65-70 don’t bother.

I enjoyed my trip to Austria so much in my Tesla that I’m test driving range rovers next week.

P.s if don’t need to long jounrnies regularly they are great cars!!!

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 89156&i=20

So they can be great if you drive like miss daisy, but not if you drive hard. Acceleration and high speed skill it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 17 Sep 2021, 03:57

for range you need a bigger pack -

just saying if they kept at it - we would be 100 years with improvements - who knows by now how much better electric would have been -
expresso

Postby Gnomatic » 17 Sep 2021, 04:15

Electric cars took off back in the day because of ease of use. Back then, engines had to be manually turned over via a crank to get started. Women didn't like this, so electrics became popular for those wealthy enough to do so. Then the electric starter got invented. Once this happened, ICE cars had both the convenience of electrics at the time, and all the advantages BM speaks to above.
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 17 Sep 2021, 04:41

for range you need a bigger pack -

just saying if they kept at it - we would be 100 years with improvements - who knows by now how much better electric would have been

Lithium is lighter than the old lead was. But a tesla is a 2.5 ton car. Adding more battery is an ever diminishing return. Because most of the alloy teslas weight is battery now. Teslas already have the largest battery of all EV cars. They cant add more because of weight, and the most expensive part of the car is the battery anyway. Already they are unafordable for many. But adding say double the existing battery will a) not fit and you would need to fill all the luggage area, at both ends. Making a 3+ ton car with a relatively small range increase. At an extra 20K in cost. Its just not practical. Thatswhy they are concentrating on faster tesla superchargers closer together.

if they kept at it

"THEY" have kept at it for the last 100 years. To make laptops, phones etc practcal.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything