windows 11. 3 weeks as daily driver.

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: windows 11. 3 weeks as daily driver.

Postby expresso » 30 Nov 2021, 17:27

i have to see - i have a lot of folders - and most of the cracks are unzipped -

i can pick a folder - with all the folders in there ? or do i have to pick each folder in the folder ?

there are on other HD - not the C drive - other than that - its fine - i dont mind if it finds something - but i like to have to the time to allow it or clean it etc,

it has the option to do that - but last time i did - it just got rid of it - before i had time to check the details - and allow it - it was gone :o

dont even know what it was now - i guess i didnt need it then - i have a folder for the longest - just saved programs over the years with cracks -

90 % of them i dont use now anyway - i did 20 years ago - but there are some i do need and use -

i should zip them all then - :thumbup:
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 30 Nov 2021, 19:00

All my software is drive D so I just selected drive D... And E, F, G, H, I, J, K, H, I etc. So its only allowed to look in C.

And on C desktop, and my documents is also added as no go areas...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 30 Nov 2021, 19:12

Its mad at me because I have found a way to disable the windefend service from running. On ANY drives. Or realtime which nobody that has a clue needs or wants.

It only scans when I say so. And so doesent interfere day to day or slow down my machine or randomly delete my stuff! But you can tell its angry!
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image3.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 30 Nov 2021, 19:20

nice - but it wont work then - it may be good for you and others who stay on top of things

i want it to work -just not remove the cracks i have on the programs - i excluded the folders where my programs are - also did the C drive program folder in case since some are installed

now when i got use those files - i need to use them with in the folder thats excluded - or else if i move them it will pick it up - or disable defender if i remember before installing them - if i can
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 30 Nov 2021, 21:45

What do you mean by "work"?

Mine works perfectly, and can be reenabled or scan downloads or system at will. And is off the rest of the time as it should be?

Works about as well and as easily as any solution could.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 30 Nov 2021, 21:49

if you turn it off - it wont work

i want it on - i added the folders where my programs are so it wont scan those -
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 30 Nov 2021, 21:58

If you know how to drive a computer the last thing you want is any antivirus program on all the time. It inteferes with what you are doing, and it doesent matter which you install - they all do. And it isnt needed. The only time you need it is when downloading anything that can "run" like exe or bat files etc or scripts in documents or similar. THat stuff is obvious to any idiot. So its best turned off. you get to use your own computer without big brother trying to stop you using free software...

I turn it on to test stuff that I download - targeted - only. And I run an occasional full system scan to be sure. But in 20 years it never found a thing. Neither did the full version of malwarebytes. So why have it running in realtime to slow your computer and interfere with your daily use? You are not 7 and not a newby are you? Big brother or nannying isnt required.

Whats much more important is have you configured all the ins and outs of your firewall? THATS where any real problems will come from both in use and getting hacked. And that takes many weeks to get right. Which is just 1 more reason not to keep reinstalling everything!!!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 30 Nov 2021, 22:03

true -

but i know after some time i get used to it and wont even remember to turn it on when downloading things etc, to have it on maybe better - depends

i wont remember to turn it on at the moment i may be downloading something or installing etc, now i am backing up the folder with the programs and its finding them - i have to allow it to restore

i shouldnt have backed it up
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 01 Dec 2021, 11:50

EverythingI have is on at least 4 hard drives or SSDs or memory sticks.
Every computers current setup is also in 4 places. And gets redone every few days or after any changes and dates and records of changes kept.
But it hasnt deleted your files it has QUARANTEENED them.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 01 Dec 2021, 17:34

i am not worried too much - they are very old programs i used to use 20 years ago maybe with DVDS - etc, havnt used them in ages - i just keep them anyway

it would be the end of the world if i lost them - just a few i use - i zipped them now - excluded the folder - more concerned about windows and office cracks etc,

but dosnt seem to pick those up - so they are good clean activation's - that work - the ONE folder i keep everything important - i have on 3 drives now

only on the SSD drives - 1 thumb drive and laptop - so thats 5 places - the MUSIC folder i have - in 2 places - but now i added it to the backup which windows does every hour i think - few folders along with the ONE i really need -

never used windows before for these backups this way - but cant hurt - i always keep things off the C drive and just make images - restore back if i do something iffy or a problem i installed acts up - if i dont want it again etc, -

now i just made one image with AOEMI - and left it alone - the very worst that can happen is i reinstall windows - i only had to do that if for some reason something got screwed up with drivers - or missing from windows to make it work - then i wont let me restore with the program - why it happened before i dont know - it happened twice before - but all other times - it worked fine -

i had to use the boot disk - and reset from windows - or recovery etc, not wiping it clean - or restore back to a previous time -

i though the purpose of the image program was to use it to restore when or if system acts up and wont boot into windows - if it happens again - i will take a screen shot - you may know whats missing - has to do with drivers -

all good so far now - will update the bios so i can install windows 11 if i choose - at least i be ready
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 01 Dec 2021, 18:09

Yes in case of disk failure or whatever. Or you deleted something in error. Maybe you need a backup every 5 years or maybe never. Not most days/weeks!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 01 Dec 2021, 18:30

I mean it wont be end of world of Iost the program cracks etc. Most of them I dont use anymore.

I will change to weekly backs. Every hour is not needed. Not like I am working. and saving files all day long
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 01 Dec 2021, 19:37

You only needbackup changes. And you must keep some older backups so you dont go and backup the problem! And no way to fix. I keep a recent one for a month. And the odd one for a year. And even old ones from win 7 and XP complete systems inc work etc. Old style hard disks are cheap, so stash them in a sealed plastic bag in a cool dark place. As you move to all SSD. Even then my early SSDs were 250GB. No longer used. So now moving to 2TB ones. You never know what you may need or want from the past. You realise you can mount an image and dip into that and take individual files, old mail, bank statements of websites or whatever without doing any full recovery right?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 01 Dec 2021, 19:43

no i didnt know that - i though an image is the whole thing and can only put back the whole thing

unless you backup or make an image of some items - i didnt know
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 01 Dec 2021, 20:48

With say a macrium image, just double click it. It opens on a imaginary drive in memory with a drive letter. So you can go in, select your lost image or program or whatever and past it to your desktop. Try it now. This is really basic how to drive your computer stuff.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 01 Dec 2021, 21:04

ok never knew that

and you can pick what you want from there if you want or just look at it in windows

i have to install it again and make a image - i can try that with the one i used now to see if it works in the same fashion

forget it with me -its always something - i have many things goin on here at once- other things - so my mind is not always on one thing - even if it was - dosnt mean i will get it - i try it

now another thing - which is something simple i am missing -

updating the bios - i done it before - and done it with this new system - but now i went to do it again - and i dont see it or my thumb drive -

i downloaded the bios - i first format the drive to fat32 - actually shows exfat - the option to pick

i extracted the bios to the drive -

insert in usb back of my computer

reboot - delete to get in

i pick Qflash - brings me to screen to update the bios

i pick it - and i dont see the drive i have the new bios on -

i see my external drive with the folders there - i dont recall seeing this before

i named the usb drive UPDATE so i pick the correct one - dosnt show up -

i will try it again another day - dont have spare usb to try it now - i reused the one i had it on -
expresso

Postby expresso » 01 Dec 2021, 22:13

guick search showing others having the same issue with the bios updating

i can install software that will let me update it within windows direct to there servers etc, -

or what if i put the bios in the drive that show up and pick it from there - but those are not Fat 32 drives - they are NTFS - that may not work then

strange - but i hold off - just curious why its not picking up my drive with the bios in it -

and i did it this same way at the very start worked fine easy simple fast
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2021, 02:40

Because the drives UEFI partition is corrupt? Or set up incorrectly in the bios...

Put the file on the memory stick you CAN see...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 02 Dec 2021, 02:50

i think its the usb i was using is too large 64gig

needs to be 32gig or less for it to show up and format it as FAT 32

i will try that first - it should show up then -

if not - then i have to see what to do next - i see my other drive i have installed inside - and can look in them also -

when i first did it - updated the bios - i had nothing inside i believe - just the main OS drive

used a 16gig usb and worked fine - easy simple
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2021, 15:24

I have formatted 512GB ones fat 32.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 02 Dec 2021, 17:31

thats strange - everything i read about it says windows wont show up to FAT 32 with a larger USB

i will try it later - i have a 16gig one - if that dosnt show up then i guess i wont update the bios - no windows 11 for me

others are having same issues - maybe its an gigabyte issue - all i know is it worked super easy the first time i did it - when i built it -

i get to the screen fine - i see other drives - i just dont see the usb one with the bios on it - i did have to rename the bios i believe first time -

but others have not and worked - either way besides that - i dont see the drive at all -

i see later - if not i leave it alone for now
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2021, 19:24

Win 11 is garbage at least till the LTSC one apears. Even then it so restrictie, pushes you to use its microsoft search, and its edge browser which is locked to the inbuilt help/links everywhere. The latest 10 LTSC is way way better. Currently using dual boot and have both. 11 makes me swear.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2021, 19:39

Here is a little excersize for you.

You need to click on the little floppy disk icon in rufus an choose to make an iso and select your C drive. And then tell it where to Put it.
2. plug in you fast nvme USB3 drive.
3. tell rufus to load your ISO onto the fast removable drive. You must choose UEFI and MBR and SHOW ALL USB and then click select... Show it your new ISO file.

It will write an exact copy of your C drive to the removable fast USB drive. With a difference. That difference is that it is a fully working, bootable clone of your computer. You will not know the difference. If in the future anything goes wrong you can just boot your windows system from the removable. If you want you can boot from it in OTHER computers too. And after a few driver updates that will work on TWO computers. Or as many as you have.

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/releas ... s-3.17.exe

I always have an up to date one on me...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 02 Dec 2021, 20:21

i used a 16gig drive - and it worked - updated the bios - when it rebooted - nothing - its not booting now at all - black screen

i gave myself an early xmas gift - its dead - maybe bricked the board -

i tried to get the dual bios to kick in - nothing is working - it turns on - i hear the beep trying to boot i guess - and nothing

so its dead -

i know if its not broken dont fix it - the lasted bios was so Windows 11 will work - now nothing works -

i just shut it off now - and thats it

i have one last thing i can try - have to open the case and short out the main bios - i cant do that - i need someone to do it and with steady hands

so there you have it - when it rains - it pours - banghead

if that dont work - may need a new board - wonder if they take it back RMA for a new one ?
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2021, 20:24

i gave myself an early xmas gift - its dead - maybe bricked the board -

You cant brick modern boards. You just need to do whatever your board manual says. With my asus boards its simple.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 02 Dec 2021, 21:03

i am back - it was simple stupid thing

its all good - was always all good

the problem was the video card !!!

when the board is cleared - reset - it defaults to the Video card installed - not the processor on board graphics

i plugged the cable to the Video card and its fine -

i think i will either leave it on the video card or just remove it - so i wont have this issue again - not the first time i had to do this - and i keep forgetting - i dont know why it dosnt just scan to the next display device and continue - if i remove the video card - wont have to worry about it -

i wasnt even using it - if i left it installed and didnt use the card - is it still working the fan on the video card or just sits there dead ?

i really though it was dead - :lol:
expresso

Postby steves1977uk » 02 Dec 2021, 22:54

After you update the BIOS, it should default to UEFI mode which means the graphics card also has to be UEFI compatible. If not, then you'll get a black screen on first boot. The MB then enables CSM mode which is legacy BIOS mode which will allow old graphics card to boot, but you lose all the modern UEFI stuff which is better to use these days.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 02 Dec 2021, 23:00

this happened before - the default in the bios is the video card if a card is installed

if not - its fine - i can change which is default - and go back to the processor video - leaving the video card doing nothing - thats the way i had it before

video card is installed and did nothing - i wasnt using it - i can either leave it alone and use the video card instead - wont have an issue - or change it back and use the processor - wont have an issue

it happens if the settings get cleared - then it go back to default - with a video card installed - thats the default

i wonder if i change it to processor default and then let it try to find the video card - maybe that would work also

but it keep it simple - i leave it alone - if i do want to go back to the processor only - i may just remove the card all together and never have to worry about it again

its in there - so i left it - or just use the card -

i think i will remember this now - if in the future - i will try this first before panicking -
expresso

Postby expresso » 02 Dec 2021, 23:05

i worried because others all were having the same issues - i figured ok i did it now

forgot all about the video set up

in the bios it should just do down the line - default - finds nothing - move on to the next - but it dosnt work that way on this board at least

when a video card is installed - thats it - thats the default video - cable needs to be in that video card or you wont have a screen -

i would think it would notice the cable is on the board processor and continue on - but it dosnt
expresso

Postby Burgerman » 02 Dec 2021, 23:55

The whole point of going to a faster modern CPU and motherboard/power supply is to be able to get sensible frame rates on modern games. If you never do games or things like MS flight sim then your OLD CPU would have been plenty for general use. You wont see any difference.

The only reason I am going to buy a new board/CPU in the new year is so that I can upgrade to be able to run 3080 or above graphics for 4K flight sim. Because for surfing, watching movies etc it will not make a blind bit of difference. And has not done so since the days of the old athlon and pentium 5 days. Almost everything since then has been ever greater overkill for normal home use with one exception. Gaming. That has driven the market.

But since the 12900 CPU even murders the fastest AMD 5950X, and the newest 3 series nVidia cards like the 3080Ti absolutely destroys all previous generations its worth doing. There a big enough step in performance for gaming that its worth doing. Wont make the web browsing or watching movies any better! Even with 250 browser windows, and 10x 4K movies at once!

Whats more both AMD and Intel have newer generation CPUs that only work on DDR5 and new chipsets due early in the next year. And I am in no rush. So we will see whats available in spring. Not much point doing any of this until a 3080Ti 4k capable video card still isnt a sensible possibility!
Burgerman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Anything