More AMD issues...

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Re: More AMD issues...

Postby Arima » 12 Feb 2022, 05:35

Can I use a separate power supply just for a graphics card? Everything else would run off the factory power supply.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 12 Feb 2022, 09:55

Yes.

Its jut 0v and 12v. But on a modern 3 series card like my 3080Ti its a massive 400 watts if overclocked and 360 if not all by itself. And it must be wired to turn on with the other one.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 15 Mar 2022, 23:35

When I go back to whatever I was working on before I have a boost in energy. Focusing for several hours piloting a commercial aircraft across the US doesn't yet appeal to me. I can't afford that amount of time sitting on my butt when I should be productive on other projects. Where do you go?

With a big enough monitor you can run it in a window while doing your other productive stuff... Bit ike I have the news on in a window, almost all the time while I do other stuff like banking, maintaining this site, backups, image editing etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 16 Mar 2022, 03:25

Still working on landing the Cessna 172. The last couple weeks with the flu I've not done much except sleep. Think I need to use my instruments more to get the balance of having control at low speed. Flying on the 55in tv has helped a lot! But I still misjudge the ground. My landing flare (not sure what you call it) usually results in a small change of direction and next thing I know I'm bouncing along the edge of the runway into the grass. I'm sure it is my perception but it seems to take a brief moment to get out of wack and the controls never seem to respond fast enough for me to save it all. Right now it's all just a calculated drop onto the ground.

Wish you had one of your old dell 32in monitors to sell. Had my eye on a LG 32 model but when I went to look at one up close in the store the screen looked like it was made of plastic. Yesterday was the first day I didn't take any ibuprofen and had a decent sleep. Hopefully I'm on the mend and get back to some activity.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 16 Mar 2022, 09:08

On a a triike undercarriage plane like a 172 the noseleg is too long and hits first unless you slow it right down and land with high angle of attack. This causes it to bounce up and change direction... So just above stall speed, some flaps, is the answer! Nose high. Same thing on hobby stuff.

My desktop monitor is 55 inch 4k. Yes it helps! cheers
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby LROBBINS » 16 Mar 2022, 10:13

Hi Arima,

Your post brought back fond memories of my 1000+ hours piloting light aircraft, a much missed activity that stopped when we moved to Italy 20+ years ago.

I suspect that there are two sources to the problems you've had with the simulator. First, you are completely dependent on visual information and don't get the physical feedback you'd have with a real airplane or a hyper-expensive airline simulator with haptic feedback in the controls and hydraulic jacks that move the "cabin" in al directions. Second, this new generation simulator may be much more accurately simulating the changes in aerodynamics with changes in flight condition such as during the landing flare (and yes, that's the right term for it).

BTW John's suggestion to finish the flare just above stall speed (in old fashioned airplane speak, doing a "wheel landing") and using a bit of flap, to lower the nose during the approach and lower the stall speed for the actual landing can certainly help.

Some people have native athletic talent and learn to fly even when knowing rather little about why they need to do what they need to do. I certainly don't count myself among those, so for me, learning to fly required the same sort of study that John keeps pushing for learning to get the most out of a wheelchair and its batteries. As he says, knowledge is power. So I'll recommend two of my favorite books:

First step - "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewische. A real classic of deep knowledge and experience, clarity and good sense. McGraw-Hill, NY & London, 1944.

Then, after you've become an accomplished "airman" of "airwoman" and want to polish your skills, "As the Pro Flies" by John R. Hoyt, McGraw-Hill, NY, Toronto & London, 1959.

Now to a couple specifics. I suspect that this simulator is even simulating the changes in airplane behavior that happen during the landing flare and that this might explain the last-moment turn that's causing you a problem. There are several sources for this, but one is the fact that the prop is a heavy gyroscope and when you change the nose angle "precession" will produce a turning force at right angles to the prop's plane of rotation. Older PC simulators certainly didn't simulate this, but the newest might, and that's a real improvement. There's also a change in the way the corkscrew airflow from the prop hits the tail. The fin is offset to counteract that in cruise, but you have to adjust for it otherwise.

In a real airplane you would have both physical (in the control feel and in the "seat of the pants") and visual feedback for this. With the simulator, however, you are completely dependent on what you see and the anticipatory actions you've developed based on knowledge and experience. What John suggested will certainly help, but another thing that I found very helpful, and it took me a good while to condition myself to do this, is to focus your gaze further forward - a few hundred meters in front of the nose rather than looking at the intended touchdown point. Try to force yourself to do this, and you might find an immediate improvement.

HAPPY FLYING!
Lenny
LROBBINS

Postby Burgerman » 16 Mar 2022, 15:18

I found that my 50 years of flying RC planes of god knows how many types and designs, and crashing them pretty good too tought me a whole lot more than flying real ones. Not least because you learn about aerodynamics, stability CG/CP relationships, wing area, sections, control surface flutter issues, where the forces go and what breaksbecause of these forces. Because you must configure everything esp if you also design the things.

My real ones were sailplanes, and an old Auster tow plane that never ran on the same number of cylinders or even the same cylinders on consequtive flights. When I started flying sailplanes I found it stupidly easy. Because it was many times easier than the models. Everything happens slower. Its just the same as the models but you have the advantage of being in it. That means that you feel everything, and can see and hear sideslip, pre stall buffet, etc. And that the controls are always operating in the same sense. In a hobby RC plane when you are flying towards you ailerons and rudder appear reversed... Elevator works correctly. When inverted going away, only rudder and elevator is reversed. When flying inverted going towards you elevator and aileron is reversed rudder is correct again, and your head explodes... Esp with fast stuff doing high speed inverted passes. Eventually it becomes automatic. If I had to think about it I would be digging it out of the runway or field. Traveling away, the correct side up is easy!
Burgerman
Site Admin

arima

Postby Arima » 18 Mar 2022, 19:04

It's kinda funny to me, while missing the haptic feedback I'm sure my blood pressure and heart rate increased significantly. Should have measured my pulse. My approach was all wrong...trying to land at 70 or 80 knots is not good in the cessna. Even with some flaps lol. Looking further down the runway really helped. Also moving the seat back gives a much better view including much needed peripheral vision. Take offs and landing (@40kts) are serviceable but lots of room for improvement.

Thxs for the book recommendation Lenny. I need some study. At first my decent was to steep, now it feels to shallow. Should figure out which way the wind is blowing and how to use the radio. Still a couple of gauges I have no idea how to use. Lot's to learn. Yes my head starts to explode and this is suppose to be a basic plane. Trying to stay oriented while flipping and rolling and turning might require more computing power than my brain has.

And then there is navigation...VOR. Another new acronym lol. Plus configuring the simulator software. Definitely have a growing appreciation for flying. I do love never having to buy gas or paying for repairs.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 18 Mar 2022, 19:51

Trying to stay oriented while flipping and rolling and turning might require more computing power than my brain has.

Everyones brain. But you dont have to try.

You learn it by doing it and one day it sort of clicks. You learn it in the same way you learn to ride a bike. One day you need stabilisers. The next you just do it and dont know how. The difference is that its much harder. Takes longer. Because 3 axis and four controls, and they each do something different as you look at it in different angles. If you have to look and THINK what to do you just crashed it. But you can do it as yor subconcious takes over.

Helicopter hovering is a great example. 4 things to control once you set up the throttle and pitch curves - continually t keep it stable and stationary. It doesent want to do it. Each axis is unstable. To hover you are continually adjusting roll, yaw, collective pitch/throttle and elevator. Almost before it happens. A bit like balancing a broomstick handle on your finger. You can do for a few seconds and then you throw it across the room... Only worse than a broomstick, as each single axis control input changes the other 3... And a broomstick has no yaw or collective to worry about. Its just 2 axis. So its like balancing 2 brooms at once!

After a few hours you suddenly find you can do it. Hover. But cant explain how. Your fingers move the 4 axis sticks automatically. At least while its pointing away from you! And the right way up. At first.

I certainly recomend a RC transmtter with a USB plug in reciever so you are free with 2 sticks, many switches, and no wires. Its much better than a PC joystick.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Anything