Keeping warm

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Keeping warm

Postby Burgerman » 31 Mar 2022, 20:14

Next winter. My gas bill has increased from around 100 monthly to 290 based on this years gas usage.

Because I was paying 3.7p per KW hour. Now incresing to a rediculous 12.4p per kwh. Electricity is increasing by around 55% too.

We are an island. One that has enough coal and mines for generating super cheap electricity for the next 200 years according to estimates. Enough to heat all our homes with electricity for pennies. But we shut them all down, allowed them to flood, And then the morons in power celebrated this by literally blowing them up and "greening" the land. With the exception of 3 powerplants. The biggest of which was converted to burn WOOD pellets that are shipped from the USA. Burning trees in this DRAX converted power station by destroying huge forrests in the USA at 4x the price of our own coal is apparently green! The other two power stations, remaininng for now and much industry like steel, are now buying overpriced coal from around the planet.

Then theres the fact that we are an island. We have at least 400 years worth of gas, and oil in the north sea. And around scotland. And in the irish sea. But instead of continuing to use research vessels and mapping out new fields and doing test drilling, building new oil and gas rigs as we did in the past we refused to allow the oil companies to do this. Why? Because while we have industrial shit loads of the stuff literally all around us, waiting to be used the morons with the green nonsense brainwashed into their skulls say oil/gas is bad. So now we buy all our oil and most of our gas from rediculously expensive sources around the planet and ship in gas in boats as liquid which is refrigerated. So we still actually burn the same amount, but now we pay over 6x as much for it and because its always "boiling" off to remain liquid a large percentage is also wasted!

Then theres nuclear. We had 17 nuclear power stations all built around the same time. These are all now either already shut down, including 3 more this year, and all will be closed by 2029. In 2025 only 3 will remain. So the reliable energy that nuclear represented is going away fast. So this leaves up in a proper mess. Caused by a complete lack of forsight over the last 30 years. A complete bunch of stupid ignorant "green" agenda politicians. So now we have a country that is claiming to be leading the world in "net zero" because of wind and solar.

We the reality is a litte dfferent.
I use an energy watchdog website with real time energy usage data. It shows that the reality in this country for ELECTRICITY is that wind is hopeless. And that almost all of our electrical power relies on IMPORTED gas to generate electricity. Typically that is half of our electrical grid most days. The rest is around 16% nuclear. Both of which are supposed to be bad. Gas = co2 and we are all going to die :lol:

The rest, around a third of our electricity comes from buying it from 6 different interconnects to other countries which is really expensive. And from microgeneration like solar which only works in summer and not at night, and then some small coal, wood pellets like drax. So this net zero is all a sad joke. The government have wasted 30 billion of our money building millions of windmills. These CAN generate a third of the UKs power. If its windy enough. Usually a lot less. Like 1, to 3 percent only for around a week. See below.

So since gas is bad and they wasted 20 years allowing all the gas/oil fields to run our without allowing any new ones, and thats still ongoing, wood pellets are also CO2 bad, nuclear takes 20 years to build and become operational, we are now completely up shit creek.

All this "renewables" nonsens on non windy days generates literally 1 to 3% of our needs. We BUY IN fossil fuels, and fossil fuel generated electricity just to keep the lights on. And now boris wants us to all drive electric cars. (takes 50 to 100kwh to charge! 10X what your home uses).

And that ist the worst of it. Gas boilers which heat almost all british homes are now to be banned. Its already against the law to sell gas central heating boilers after 2030. And boris things we can send 30 to 60k rebuilding every house to be efficient enough to use an electrical heat pump. That will take approx 3 to 5x as much electrical power as your existing electricity consumption. So we will need a grid that can generate around 5 to 10x as much as it does today.

So this huge energy cost thing is a direct consequence of the green agenda and stupid politicians. And it will all end in tears with massive reduction in GDP as well as everyones standards of living. And all for nothing.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Keeping warm

Postby Burgerman » 31 Mar 2022, 20:16

A week of energy supply mix.
CCGT is gas powered turbine generation. Gas that we are now paying through the nose for while being surrounded by many hundreds of years worth of the stuff even ignoring the 200 years worth of shale gas... Its a joke. A sad joke at our expence. All so that we can claim to be green while buying all our fossil fuel from other places instead!
Attachments
windmills march 23rd 2022.jpg
March 23
windmills march 25th 2022.jpg
March 25
windmills march 28th 2022.jpg
March 28
windmills march 29th 2022.jpg
March 29
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Puma » 01 Apr 2022, 19:07

I agree, you have solar panels and you could save on night time electric with the use of Home Batteries then you could use an energy efficient heater. I have the same problem heating a big bungalow when there i is only me and my carer, kids don’t come that often!!
Puma

Postby Puma » 01 Apr 2022, 19:07

These are the batteries which you can get in various sizes, are they rubbish and not cost effective?

https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/giv-energy
Puma

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2022, 20:30

BIG problem!

When its cold, as during winter the solar panels generate almost nothing as the sun is low and days are very short. So no matter how much battery power you buy they will never cope and go dead. Solar is useless for heating a house. A simple cheap 2kw fan heater is almost 100% efficient. It just heats my bedroom nicely. So ignore the other 9 rooms for now. They can freeze up. And burst pipes etc.

So 2kw in winter x 24 hours a day would be 48kwh needed per day. Its thermostatic so spends say 60% on time depending how cold outside. Ignoring comuters, fridges, lights, and all the rest of the gadgets. Or charging wheechairs though. So lets call it 100% on.

That would need 10x 48KW worth of solar so 480 kw of panels! Because a solar system generates around 10% of the summer figure per day during winter. The typical large panel is around 100 to 270 watts depending on size. Mine are 250W each for about 5 mins a day in july... We will ignore that lead batteries are only around 90% efficient for the moment too. And that they die in a couple of years. And need replacing. And that will be a HUGE cost for a typical 100kwh battery needed to support your single room heater for 24 hours. Remember sometimes cloud for a week. So even those will be nowhere near big enough.

So I would need to increase my 3kw of panels to 480kw worth. Thats a solar farm. And each solar 250watt panel is around 120 uk pounds. So thats going to cost 230K in panels, then they need a field to put them in, and each needs mounting to an expensive frame. And then theres the wiring, and enough solar inverters for almost 500kw! That will be as expensive as the panels are. So we are now into almost half a million. And we didnt buy any batteries yet. Which need relacing every few years. And then theres the other 9 rooms needing heat...

Can you see why we use mains AC power? Generated by huge quantities of coal, gas, nuclear?

Solar for heat is a joke. And windmills not a lot better as we get weeks with no wind!

Which is why my electricity/gas heating bill went from 1300 per year to 3460 per year today. In one single jump. And is expected to increase by a further 27 to 55% estimated in october. Green nonsense as shown above. Biden is going to do the same to you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2022, 20:54

I was paying 1300 approx per year.
Now it is 3.3k plus.

I was paying 3.7p per kwh for gas.
Now its 12.27. A 300% plus increase!

This is what green nonsense, net zero, and ignoring the fact that we are sat on and surrounded by many hundreds of years worth of supercheap coal, oil, and gas does. And it will get worse. And we even allowed all our nuclear stations to reach end of life without replacing them. Or politicians are morons. All because of the net zero bullshit. And all the other greenies and lefties being terrified of nuclear.

Our economy and living standards are being destroyed by a bunch of idiots.

oldprice.jpg
YESTERDAYS PRICE

Todays price.
Attachments
newprice.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Puma » 01 Apr 2022, 21:20

I understand the theory of dark winter not producing any solar energy, but the theory is you charge the batteries with a tariff like economy 8 or something? At night time Electric used to be cheaper, then you charged the batteries up and use that energy at peak time. I know it has changed now but the high energy bills are scary.
Puma

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2022, 22:35

And the more the stupids in society persue this green bullshit the worse it will get. This was easy to predict 20 years back.

Gas is around 5 times cheaper per kwh than electricity. And we generally use around 5x as much. So the gas or electric bill work out about the same for most households.

If you were to heat your house by electricity, instead, that means the amount of kwh your house would consume in electricity would increase by 500%!! And so will your bill.

Yes economy 7 is available. Its around 10% cheaper... Which would not make a dent. Not to mention storing it in batteries loses 10% through the charger. And another 10 because of the battery charge efficiency. And another 10 when you convert it back to AC... So no its not remotely practical.

These green idiots are super keen on taxing and subsidising their nonsense that doesent work, and stopping us using oil coal, gas, nuclear but dont have any alternative solution. But they dont care.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 01 Apr 2022, 23:08

Heres what I am currently doing about it.

1. collecting a gallon of used cooking oil per day from the school around the corner. Why? They put a fresh gallon out every day. I asked and they dont want it. I already have 16 gallons in 3 weeks.

2. I will filter it. Add 10 percent kerosine.

3. And burn it in a truck cab heater. This will go outside my bedroom wall. Its exhaust and air intake will be outside. It will blow up to 5kw of heat into my house through a 3 inch hole and a tube. Its automatic electric start and has a remote, and can be turned down to a low level of under 1kw. Or on/off.
I have fitted these to trucks 25 years ago. They work well. And reliably. And dont make a lot of noise inside the vehicle or bedroom. They are slighly noisy outside. But not loud just a combustion sound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403186585363

Free heat almost after a one off 90 pound purchase.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 02 Apr 2022, 18:40

The green religion has colonized the entire planet.
The unbelievers will be burned at the stake.
The dogmas of the environmentalist god are already law.
We will be hungry and cold...

Human stupidity is infinite.
martin007

Postby sacharlie » 02 Apr 2022, 20:28

sacharlie

Postby Gnomatic » 02 Apr 2022, 23:46

If the war in Ukraine has taught the world anything, it's that energy security = national security. Abandoning nuclear power is absolutely idiotic, especially for the Greens. Nuclear power produces ZERO CO2 commissions, if that's your primary concern. Yet most greens hate it. banghead
Gnomatic

Postby Burgerman » 03 Apr 2022, 21:59

Abandoning nuclear was rediculously stupid. Polititions are stupid though.

But the UK is an island with 400 years worth of gas and oil surrounding us. We have ignored this and shut down most of it refusing new licences to even send out research vessels to map out the best new oil and gas fields. All based on the green nonsense. Only to IMPORT the very same stufffrom all over the planet and massive cost! The massive push towards EVs and electric heat pumps is also stupid. They generate most of our electricity by gas, anyway! We used to use coal all over this country because its super cheap. We still have at least 100 years worth of coal too. Abandoned...

So now we fuel the biggest "coal" stations on american forests, apparently buning millions of acres of forrests is green! :clap At almost 3x the cost of coal. And thats not our very cheap home grown coal but expensive coal bought across the worls. Like we do with liquified gas. Thats also using MORE energy and producing more C02 than north sea gas we ignore.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 06 Apr 2022, 02:54

Gnomatic wrote:If the war in Ukraine has taught the world anything, it's that energy security = national security. Abandoning nuclear power is absolutely idiotic, especially for the Greens. Nuclear power produces ZERO CO2 commissions, if that's your primary concern. Yet most greens hate it. banghead

I think Nixon talked about energy independence back in the 70's.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 06 Apr 2022, 19:09

Most greens hate everything we use for power. That power that feeds 8 BILLION of us, made the civilised world the safest and most comfortable its ever been in history. With the least illness, warmth, clean safe water and sanitation, safer food with refrigeration, and the longest lifespans and cleanest cities in history.

What they never do is offer a better alternative. Because there isnt one. And they simply dont care. They really are mental and ignorant.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 06 Apr 2022, 19:20

This idiot is a prime example. A complete ignorant hypocrite.

Lets see. He lives in a house made of brick which are all fired in gas kilns. He ate breakfast which was industrially produced using electicity and diesel. He arrived in his synthetic top made from oil, and travelled on public transport on tarmac roads which includes oil, in vehicles that use (oil, diesel, on tyres made with oil, and by electricity produced by burning gas). And then tried to stop a football match by using a large plastic cable tie directly manufactured from oil.

And yet he cant see that a windmill which on the day he did this were literally producing almost zero power, wouldnt help anything at all. To say the idiot is a moron doesent even begin to explain it. And theres millions like him. We cant see his trainers. Also containing oil in the nylon etc. Even if his top is cotton. Its only affordable due to mass production powered by oil and electricity.
Attachments
56249255-0-image-a-53_1649167743116.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Apr 2022, 20:20

Burgerman wrote:Heres what I am currently doing about it.

1. collecting a gallon of used cooking oil per day from the school around the corner. Why? They put a fresh gallon out every day. I asked and they dont want it. I already have 16 gallons in 3 weeks.

2. I will filter it. Add 10 percent kerosine.

3. And burn it in a truck cab heater. This will go outside my bedroom wall. Its exhaust and air intake will be outside. It will blow up to 5kw of heat into my house through a 3 inch hole and a tube. Its automatic electric start and has a remote, and can be turned down to a low level of under 1kw. Or on/off.
I have fitted these to trucks 25 years ago. They work well. And reliably. And dont make a lot of noise inside the vehicle or bedroom. They are slighly noisy outside. But not loud just a combustion sound.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403186585363

Free heat almost after a one off 90 pound purchase.

Are you sure it works with 90% used oil?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Apr 2022, 21:16

Nope!

But my engineers head, says that it will. And nothing ventured nothing gained. Might need more than 10% diesel. Sometimes you just need to experiment! Anyway, if it doesent run well I will make a simple oil heat exchanger with its exhaust. Hot oil vapourises much easier. And so once its glow plug gets its oil burning and its fan turning it will heat up its own fuel as it goes in.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Apr 2022, 22:00

I understand.

How do you transfer the oil from school to your home?
How do you plan to filter the oil?
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Apr 2022, 22:53

My care walks past the school to get here. He grabs it on the way. I have lots now.

Filter?
Large funnel with a cloth covering the top. And wait! Actually a 5 gallon drum. Then filter again same way with finer cloth.

Or buy a filtersock. http://www.oxfordwastecookingoil.co.uk/filters.html
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Anything