What is the legal max speed of your weelchair or scooter?

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

What is the legal max speed of your weelchair or scooter?

Postby Florin IS » 19 Apr 2022, 19:10

Hi guys.
Because I saw on this forum peoples from diferend countries, I am courious about legislation of mobility in yours local places.
Is everywhere a maximum speed limited by law? A mandatory insurance need for a weelchair or mobility scooter? It is somewhere a law for mobility traffic on public roads?
BTW. I put a question to Authorities in my country and the answer was that I am considered as a pedestrian on my mobility scooter. I must to respect the rules for pedestrians. No other rules for me on a electric device for mobility.
Especialy I'm intrested in England. If it is a law specific for mobility, please send me a link to me for study.
THX
Florin from Romania
Florin IS

Re: What is the legal max speed of your weelchair or scooter

Postby Dan » 19 Apr 2022, 21:33

In the UK the speed limit for powered wheelchairs on paths/pedestrian areas is 4MPH 6KPH. On the road network your powerchair (Class 3 Scooter or Powerchair) can go up to 8MPH 14KPH but you're meant to have lights, indicators and a wing mirror, the weight of the chair is not meant to exceed 150KG. For road use a chair is also meant to be registered withe the DVLA. There is no mandatory insurance.

https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-rules

a maximum width of 0.85 metres
a device to limit its speed to 4mph
a maximum speed of 8mph
an efficient braking system
front and rear lights and reflectors
direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
an audible horn
a rear view mirror
an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway
I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude.
Dan

Postby Burgerman » 19 Apr 2022, 22:27

But since its against the law for cyclists or anything else other that people on foot, or mobility devices, to actually use the footpaths or pedestrian areas. And the police do not take a blind bit of notice od the mass of illegal users, we no longer do either.

The pedestrian areas have literally dozens of bikes a minute at high speeds trying to knock you down as well as electric buzz board type scooters, inc even the police riding illegally. And dangerously. So it appears that its now a lawless dangerous mess. So just go as fast as you want on whatever like everyoe else does and its highly unlikely anyone will do anything about it. When they begin to stop all the bikes, scooters, lazy fat people using mobility scootes as cheap transport, drunks throwing empty bottles, cars blocking the footpath, then I will also obey the "rules". As it is I go any speed I want, use the road or the footpath and its just a free for all...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 20 Apr 2022, 10:57

In all my life of driving a powerchair (40+ Years), I've never had the police come up to me and say you're going too fast on the footpaths (sidewalk), nor have I registered any my chairs with the DVLA. What's the point??? It's highly unlikely I'd be riding along a busy A-road/dual carriageway/motorway! :lol:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby martin007 » 20 Apr 2022, 16:56

Burgerman wrote:But since its against the law for cyclists or anything else other that people on foot, or mobility devices, to actually use the footpaths or pedestrian areas. And the police do not take a blind bit of notice od the mass of illegal users, we no longer do either.

The pedestrian areas have literally dozens of bikes a minute at high speeds trying to knock you down as well as electric buzz board type scooters, inc even the police riding illegally. And dangerously. So it appears that its now a lawless dangerous mess. So just go as fast as you want on whatever like everyoe else does and its highly unlikely anyone will do anything about it. When they begin to stop all the bikes, scooters, lazy fat people using mobility scootes as cheap transport, drunks throwing empty bottles, cars blocking the footpath, then I will also obey the "rules". As it is I go any speed I want, use the road or the footpath and its just a free for all...

I think the same as you.
martin007

Return to Anything