MacOS - Hackintosh

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

MacOS - Hackintosh

Postby martin007 » 04 Feb 2024, 19:19

Is anyone an active MacOs user?
martin007

Re: MacOS - Hackintosh

Postby Burgerman » 05 Feb 2024, 20:30

If you are talking about running mac software (uhhg) on a PC then I have no idea why anyone would want to.

Just because you can? But its crap!

You can use LTSC and an industrial shit load of "free" top of range PC software all for nothing and its way better. It actually runs things!

I might do it the other way around, and I was tempted when attempting to use one a few years back. Because it was crap... but then you end up paying $$$$$$$$$$$ for hardware... To gain what?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 05 Feb 2024, 20:41

I'm just learning about macOS software.
Software y O.S. MacOS.

For example.
MacOS uses packages .dmg
If you download the official MacosOS (Sonoma) you get a .dmg
However, you also find .ISO
I have tried to install Sonoma (.dmg) on a virtual machine and I can't.

"Knowledge does not take up space."
And is free.
martin007

Postby steves1977uk » 05 Feb 2024, 23:13

Martin, a Hackintosh requires specific PC hardware for which version of MacOS you're trying to run. AFAIK Apple never used AMD motherboards/CPUs, only PowerPC, Intel or ARM (their own design).

I don't think you can run MacOS in a VM on a PC, but I haven't looked into it as it would be of little benefit to me. What you can do on MacOS you can also do on Windows. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 06 Feb 2024, 00:52

And much more.
There are lists of hardware that it will run on on th web. Its very limited. Unlike windows which is designed to run on almost any IBM x86 system including thousands of different configurations/drivers all built in, apples software just isnt...

ARM stuff is interesting. My new camera uses a custom extremely powerful ARM chip. It can crunch numbers fast enough to read billions of colours, from the sensor, and make a 50mpixel jpg, and a huge raw file, and follow an eye with mm perfect focus, and update the viewfinder with zero blackout all at the same time at up to 120 frames per second! It writes whole GB plus of data to the rather fast CFexpress cards per second! And does the same with 8K Raw uncompressed video too. Yu need a hell of a PC to edit those! All while sipping a tiny amount of battery power and making almost no heat. Those ARM chips are rather good. Its the future. I think theres a version of windows that runs on ARM and x86, x64 depending on needs.

So they are the future. Not quite as fast as the top intel and desktop AMD CPUs just yet, but they will be. While eating much much less power/heat.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Feb 2024, 18:18

martin007

Return to Anything