Making your own wheelchair seems tame in comparison!

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Making your own wheelchair seems tame in comparison!

Postby JoeC » 27 Jan 2011, 05:39

This engineer made his own heart implant!

http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-depth/a ... 77.article
JoeC

Re: Making your own wheelchair seems tame in comparison!

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 27 Jan 2011, 07:20

Truly fantastic! Thanks for finding this Joe.

So let me look into my crystal ball as to where we could go.

I would break my concept of a better powerchair down as follows:

1. Seating - nothing sold really suits us perfectly - we are all shoehorned into various standards, each with some measure of adjustment. If we can tailor suits to fit and make bespoke shoes to fit, why not scan the body and produce a seat to fit? The article refers to the lines of technology which make this entirely practicable. There's no reson why we should not have seats which last a lifetime, even if the covers need changing from time to time.

2. Power base. Like Tal in the article, Burgerman has shown just what one resourceful individual can achieve - how much more could be done if we combine the strengths of all 300 of us, and get some resources behind it to produce something better? Anyone else up for this?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jan 2011, 10:27

You would think he would have at least fitted it himself rather than relying on others :lol:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 27 Jan 2011, 10:43

John,
Its all to do with collective strength - even you use others to do that which they are better at - will you lead the charge?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 27 Jan 2011, 11:45

You mean do my own heart operation? No I think that might not be very wise!!! :shock:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 27 Jan 2011, 22:28

Hmm, I don't think even I would go that far!

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Lord Chatterley » 31 Jan 2011, 21:01

Martin O Refurbisher wrote:Truly fantastic! Thanks for finding this Joe.

So let me look into my crystal ball as to where we could go.

I would break my concept of a better powerchair down as follows:

1. Seating - nothing sold really suits us perfectly - we are all shoehorned into various standards, each with some measure of adjustment. If we can tailor suits to fit and make bespoke shoes to fit, why not scan the body and produce a seat to fit? The article refers to the lines of technology which make this entirely practicable. There's no reson why we should not have seats which last a lifetime, even if the covers need changing from time to time.

2. Power base. Like Tal in the article, Burgerman has shown just what one resourceful individual can achieve - how much more could be done if we combine the strengths of all 300 of us, and get some resources behind it to produce something better? Anyone else up for this?

Best,

Martin

I think maybe point 2 is answered by point 1.

Because the individual needs are so specific, going much beyond a BM MKII would be a lot of bother for little reward - and then there is the legal problem associated with making an illegal chair.

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jan 2011, 21:04

I am not sure it is illegal... I can program it to be slow... And reprogram it for private, off road, non public areas.

Unless you mean no mirror? But then all chairs are illegal!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby JoeC » 31 Jan 2011, 21:17

I think the only thing that would make your chair 'illegal', based on my understanding of normal tests done on chairs and nothing UK specific, would be its ability to tip backwards. Add some lower anti-tip wheels (defeats the point, I know), and it would pass those tests. Unless I'm missing something else, that seems to be it.
JoeC

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 31 Jan 2011, 22:56

But surely we return to the argument -if no one is offended by the chair and its use, why should Plod want to intervene? Also, if it is a taxed class 3, one surely has a strong defence, of an offensive nature?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jan 2011, 22:59

Also, if it is a taxed class 3, one surely has a strong defence

Other way around. If its not "taxed" or classified they are screwed... You just make it have some rules to have to comply with by doing that. Dont encourage them. EG Tax it as class 2 and get nicked for no mirror.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 31 Jan 2011, 23:29

JoeC wrote:I think the only thing that would make your chair 'illegal', based on my understanding of normal tests done on chairs and nothing UK specific, would be its ability to tip backwards. Add some lower anti-tip wheels (defeats the point, I know), and it would pass those tests. Unless I'm missing something else, that seems to be it.

Correct - it's the stability issue.

Powerchairs have to be able climb gradients without fracturing the skull of some/any end user by tipping over backwards or causing the occupant to clutch at the joystick.
If someone hurts themselves OR SOMEONE ELSE and your chair does not conform to the stability clauses the expect a call from injurylawyer4you.

Bye bye house.

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 31 Jan 2011, 23:43

Mmm. So what about that my 1100 suzuki could flip over backwards at motorway speeds? Or any number of other "unsafe" devices sold to the public? Its up to the user! Eg, sports manual chairs. VERY tippy!

Dont see the difference myself. Why dont manual chair users sue the manufacturers? Or bikers that have gone over the back?

Or adding a power pack to a tippy manual chair? What class is that?

And... Adjustable anti tips would sort that out...
I considered not actually having anti tips on my new one... But decided to make them really high instead! So it will go way past the balance point. Otherwise they get in the way of control (wheelies down ramps etc) much as manual chair users do...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 01 Feb 2011, 00:20

Burgerman wrote:Mmm. So what about that my 1100 suzuki could flip over backwards at motorway speeds? Or any number of other "unsafe" devices sold to the public? Its up to the user! Eg, sports manual chairs. VERY tippy!

Dont see the difference myself. Why dont manual chair users sue the manufacturers? Or bikers that have gone over the back?

Or adding a power pack to a tippy manual chair? What class is that?

And... Adjustable anti tips would sort that out...
I considered not actually having anti tips on my new one... But decided to make them really high instead! So it will go way past the balance point. Otherwise they get in the way of control (wheelies down ramps etc) much as manual chair users do...

I asked the same questions.

The answer I got was - cars and bikes don't have to conform to the British safety standard xyz... and manual chairs were invented before safety fascism took off, and the rules only apply to powerchairs because we are poor dears who need to be looked after and this is a welfare state and not a free country and if you have money or make a profit then you guilty anyway because profits are deducted from wages [even though the reverse is actually true] etc., etc., etc..
Lord Chatterley

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 01 Feb 2011, 05:32

I have come across a closed consultation on wheelchair law, issued by the Department for Transport (DFT). I have started a new thread for this.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby Burgerman » 01 Feb 2011, 10:20

Yes read it. Somene wants to make yet more rules, have more meetings, create more complication for bugger all benefit as usual.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 01 Feb 2011, 19:03

Burgerman wrote:Yes read it. Somene wants to make yet more rules, have more meetings, create more complication for bugger all benefit as usual.

...jobs for the boys...
Lord Chatterley

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 02 Feb 2011, 00:13

My greater concern is - who did this go to? Certainly I didn't know of it - did anyone else?

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Return to Anything