easy fold

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

easy fold

Postby biscuit » 02 Jul 2022, 21:32

Got myself a cheap runaround chair, suitable for me as I am ambulant for the time being. It is called a Livewell Easy Fold. The manual calls it a Cirrus. I got it as I am sick and tired of chairs with tiny wheels or batteries and backrest angle that I can't change myself and it was cheap as chips. The Easy Fold (aka Cirrus) works for me (about 60kg) to sit in for an hour or two.
This is what I think of it.
The seating is very basic canvas and velcro.
The arm and leg rests flip more handily than I have seen before, Sunrise should do that.
It isn't crash tested for WAV seating. I'd rather put the Vienna into the car boot than the Cirrus.
It comes with some Allen keys for adjusting things, but they don't fit, they just look like they will.
The footrests fit together too tightly to adjust the length.
The batteries are difficult to put into their rack.
The motors click ominously and therefore I do not expect the motors to last unless I figure out how to grease the gears.
The wheelchair was dangerous to drive with the VSI joystick programmed like it was when I got it, as the compensation was too high at 80 or 90 mΩ iirc which I reduced to about 55mΩ, and of course the turning accelerations were delusional, as per. So now that my joystick is programmed and it's left hand drive, it is a great chair but probably short-lived.
biscuit

Re: easy fold

Postby biscuit » 05 Jul 2022, 11:24

... and I reviewed that machine on eBay when I bought it, as I went in it to the corner shop before it was corrected and it nearly gave me and my sister a nervous breakdown with zigzagging and hopping like a mad thing between the hedge and the busy road, it was dangerous, a deadly trick to play on an innocent, it should not be sold like that. Now they aren't on eBay any more, so maybe the seller read my review and tried it for themselves.

I'm not a safety freak, but that chair was bad.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2022, 11:34

This is a common problem unfortunately and applies to all stock powerchairs for reason that completely bewilder me.

The stock settngs should be with all turn accelerations and decelerations set to maximum. So its linear and proportional. And turn rates (all turn speeds) set low, so that its easy to control and non jumpy. For ALL chairs. But every single chair sold is the opposite to this, so you are out of control! Why???

Then all that turn acceleration/deceleraration nonsense can be added if you actually find that better. And nobody ever does... What the hell is it good for?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 05 Jul 2022, 11:40

Also, this chair has exactly all of the things that I hate!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 08 Aug 2022, 20:22

Actually I'm really happy with this chair, now that the VSI is programmed (a matter of reducing the motor load compensation a whole lot and setting the turning accelerations & decelerations to 100%.)

I used it at an outdoor conference last week where I had to go up and down in the fields to reach my classes. Nothing was on level ground. The machine seems to have managed without damage to its structure or battery. It simply warped its shape so that all 4 wheels were always on the ground (not counting my accidental wheelie going over a root up a hill at its top speed of 4mph.) Tussocks, roots, holes, sudden little artistic steps in the path - this chair juddered its way through them all. And charging it each day at 6A returned about 8Ah capacity.

It's a very uncomfortable ride though and it does not really fit indoors. But my other powerchairs have issues at the moment.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 08 Aug 2022, 23:53

Sounds like my ex gf.

It's a very uncomfortable ride though and it does not really fit indoors. But my other powerchairs have issues at the moment.

Im kidding. Shes lovely.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 21 Mar 2024, 21:38

Still a favourite for gym, open-plan shop floors or riverside paths, a tad faster than 4mph and re-programmed for proper steering and ok torque, after correcting the crazy motor load compensation. I'm guessing Livewell stuck a VSI and a pair of AGMs (that are too heavy to be practical) onto a cheap Chinese machine. They don't do them any more, they advertise an "improved" easyfold with an un-programmable VSI lookalike.
biscuit

Postby Burgerman » 23 Mar 2024, 18:16

If you cannot walk at all (me) and suffer spasm and comfort issues then non of the small folding or lightweight chairs are any good. Only a proper full sized chair makes any sense. And frankly they are only around 2 inches wider and sometimes not even that. The thing is they dont fold. But if you cannot stand or walk thats all pretty irrelivant and just makes things impossible! How do you get out of it and into a car seat? You cant. So these things only make sense as a shopping chair if you are able to stand/transfer/walk anyway.

I see a better solution is a properly accessible vehicle - not a popemobile - and a suitable house or adepted one that has plenty of open space and wide doors etc so that you can use a normal rehab style chair indoors easily. At least for those that have no standing or walking ability.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 25 Mar 2024, 11:21

Yes. This chair is a total failure unless you can walk at least a bit. Also it does not actually fold because the batteries (+/-32Ah AGMs) are too heavy to re-position after removing them to fold it. Also not a car seat. Also wide and can't do the narrow aisles in the corner shop. Also eats batteries. Also it's just kind of blown together, prone to rust and nothing really aligns nicely.

So yes it's really an awful chair, but I have consistently detested all my "good" chairs as I really dislike heavy chairs, and it suits me for my circumstances.
biscuit

Return to Powerchair Reviews