New not so heavy powerchair for small skinny woman

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

New not so heavy powerchair for small skinny woman

Postby max78 » 07 Feb 2021, 18:05

Hi,
My girlfriend is looking for a new power wheelchair.
She is small and skinny and a good driver.
So 10kmh+ and Back wheel drive are her favorite.

Electric Seat Recline and Tilt and Elevate and electrical leg-rest are necessary.
Now she has an Invacare Storm 4 and is happy with it.
But the wheelchair is very heavy, about 190kg. Sometimes a lighter would be better.
So Lithium cells would be great. Or a bit lighter power chair.
Are there any recommendations?

Thanks, Markus
max78

Re: New not so heavy powerchair for small skinny woman

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2021, 18:27

There are 3 good current options that spring to mind.

Most chairs that have elevate, tilt, recline, power legs are around 180 to 190KG. Without, maybe 90kg...

Those are the sunrise Q500R, Q700R (I just bought one) and the Dietz chairs. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9873

In every case they are R-Net which means they can be properly programmed. And all of those can have a centre power footrest option which in my view is essential. It makes the chair shorter as your heels go between caster wheels, and removes the "corners".

Lithium will save maybe 54lb. But will be a diy solution. And give 5x the range.

Q700R with centre powr footrest and all the power options. 6 pages of it but shows whats wrong with it and how I sorted it. I bought a eBay one, new, but 3 months old! Unused. It has the wrong "legs" so I got them to fit a centre footplate in the deal. And I then made a few simple minor changes to suit me. You wont have to. Just dont get the curb climber! viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10062
Attachments
index700.png
Awful footrests
Q700R-MODS.jpg
Mine. Seat moved back and strengthened armrests, and centre pootplate option. Pogrammed so it steers. Makes a way better chair. You wont need the arm mod.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 07 Feb 2021, 22:46

highly recommend the Dietz Sango RWD.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 08 Feb 2021, 00:04

What weight with GRP24, all seating options etc? Does anyone know? Maybe in the brochure. I suspect it will be like every full loaded rehab chair. About double.

Any other options worth a look?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 08 Feb 2021, 09:45

not many other rwd. sango, q500, q700, otto bock juvo. all with rnet, new invacare aviva if you can stomach linx.
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 09 Feb 2021, 02:34

Another is the new version or the Invacare Storm 3 explore. They got rid of the problematic torqueless brushless motors. And use good 4 poles and that awful LiNX controller... But at least there is a OEM programming option we can use to fix it now. At a price. https://www.invacare.co.uk/power-wheelc ... wheelchair

But again, its a 190KG chair with all the best options. I actually ordered and tested one. I sent it back because the brushless motors were useless. I ordered with an essential centre footplate so I could move the seat back to get a sensible CG. Then it works OK. Other than those terrible motors. Now fixed!
Attachments
810_1763-smaller.JPG
810_1764-smaller.JPG
810_1772-smallrer.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Powerchair Reviews