first power ride

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

first power ride

Postby malamar » 02 Mar 2012, 12:40

I misplaced this post originallyy...sorry for

FINALLY I SAW THE LIGHT THIS MORNING, ALLELUYAH!
Was coming back from hospital pushed the last dozen meters home on my manual chair, mumbling on the sad fact of needing to undergo by next Saturday a further intraocular injection cause diabetes keeps packing water on my retinas, when I saw my neighbour and longtime friend Ana riding happily and swiftly a scooter on the sidewalk...and begged a ride, my first one since my hemiplegia accident. Up and down the street, left and right, i fear I depleted her battery..but know i hold first hand data, as with the attendance of my son very lightly pushing from behind i was able to go up my tremendous ramp and then come down on electric brakes !!. And the machine loked like just an entry level so with something like a power chair of more consistency i think I'll be ok riding on power assist..
Happy finding this one.
malamar

Re: first power ride

Postby Burgerman » 02 Mar 2012, 13:24

Sounds good. Scooters aree OK on ramps though. They are long. Dont tip over!

Any good powerchair has to be short and narrow as possible. For indoors. So pitch (tilting) becomes a bit more of a problem. Mine will go up anything practically in reverse, but forwards would tip me out! You soon learn whats OK and what is a bit borderline... I will go up 3 inch curbs, fast. Dare not do it slow. I will do really steep ramps at speed, going forwards, as long as they are short. So I can ease off the power as I ascend. So it stays 4 wheels on the ground. You cant add power or it will tip you out.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby malamar » 02 Mar 2012, 13:50

Thinking of "aracnid type" special occasions retractable anti tip arms as a solution, isn'it possible?
Or CG way and easy altering mechanism ,for the matter..

Best
malamar

Postby Burgerman » 02 Mar 2012, 14:45

Anything is possible. But just getting used to a tippy powerful chair that CAN tip and be controlled is actually more useful and usable overall. You just learn what isnt a good idea. And what is.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 03 Mar 2012, 00:21

I would start somewhere - anywhere! Go for it. Then learn.

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Return to Powerchair Reviews