Roma Marbella P200 (Roma Medical)

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Roma Marbella P200 (Roma Medical)

Postby Mechniki » 23 Oct 2013, 16:13

Roma Marbella P200

as an out of the box daily use chair, it is fairly good alround

It has 50ah AGM batteries as standard, mine are 55ah AGM Batteries
I had to re adjust the suspension as the manufacturer or the seller had overtightened the white springs so the rear yellow springs had no function, and with the solid 14 inch tyres an extremely rough ride. Even with the adjustment made, there is a lowered pavement corner of Bentsbrook Road and Spook Hill (North Holmwood) where the chair gets stuck (got stuck twice). Having to ask for help or wating for somone to come along not being my forte, I skip that bit now and travel in the road (Spook Hill down Holmesdale Road) and then use a driveway to reclimb the pavement. I also bought the luxury cushion after my first outing. The second outing was better even without the luxury cushion as I had adjusted the suspension.
The third outing was in torrential rain and despite waterproof coat and overtrowsers got very wet. Got to the Dentist 4 miles away, took off waterproofs, soaked Medwyns disabled toilet floor (appologised to staff); put waterproofs in a carrier bag, and took the lift to the first floor. Arrived almost 45 minutes early. Had my tooth extracted, made a new appointment for Halloween, used the lift to go down, went back into the disabled toilet to put my waterproofs back on.
Went home.
Got a bug that night and couldn't get out of bed for 3 days.
But since then I have done some mods to the chair, I removed all the thumb bolts (except the 2 for adjusting seat width 18 to 22 inches). There's no reason I can see unless i get extremly overweight to ever adjust the width from 18 inches.
Swapped the footplates to my homemade footplate (hangers from an Invacare Mistral), swapped the controller arm, to a swing away (from a Mistral) attached a chain link repair link, so I could hang my keys etc and a Mirror (made by Raleigh, micro mirror) and a pocket ashtray (using a neodium magnet).

made a couple of holes in two black mouse pads, and fixed them to the back end so that I dont get a draught

added a retro reflective red tape to the battery bar and bicycle button lights (button cell)

to improve evening/night visibility

the cats eyes bicycle lamps from my Mistral

though I stow them away in the bag during the day (normally)
and have white bicycle button lights white (button cell) on the sides of the chair

that I need to find amber lens paint for.

So if you need a no fuss everyday wheelchair, the Roma Marbella is a good place to start
The leather tool bag seen in the picture, lights and easy reach do NOT come with the chair. The tool bag holds the 5amp charger, the power lead is stowed in the bag at the rear (for emergency charge ups or sitting in front of my pc's playing games) and as the controller uses the crx plug as fitted to my previous chairs charger, I use the other charger at night whilst I sleep, 6 amp invacare charger.

The first day I used this without any adjustments and stuff (and an overnight charge), it completly ran out of power just as I got back from booking a dentist appointment near the top of Holmesdale Road so approx 9 miles of travel. Glad my AA gold membership is kept up to date, AA said half an hour, 10 minutes and they were with me, 20 minutes later after a boost to the batteries I was on my way. What had caused it to stop wasn't the batteries but a loose bullet connector

which is now taped.
Still waiting for new caster stem bearings on the Near Side (left side)
Insurance was from Mark Bates Limited, £99 fully comprehensive, which is breakdown insurance too and Legal protection

The Marbella RRP is £2,395.00
Mine was ex demo at £1099 though insured for £1499 (Betterlife Healthcare List price)
and is being purchased via Hire Purchase via Betterlife Healthcare at £93 a month over 12 months, if you buy a wheelchair from them, they don't know a great deal about the wheelchairs they sell but their customer service is very good.

I started with an Enigma Energi, even though I ordered the Energi Engima Plus, eventually got the Energi Enigma Plus (with too many faults to list here) and they exchanged the Enigma Plus for the Marbella on the 7th October 2013.

Both Energi Enigma's are shown on their web site as Ex demo now, just rechecked the site and they seem to have sold one, but still have the Enigma Plus
http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/pro ... &subID=347

The Marbella pictured on their site is NOT a Marbella
Mechniki

Re: Roma Marbella P200 (Roma Medical)

Postby Mechniki » 23 Oct 2013, 16:21

Sorry pictures wouldn't copy into as they were too big
Mechniki

Postby Burgerman » 23 Oct 2013, 19:13

Seriously, non of those chairs on that page are worth even looking at for outdoors.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Seasider2006 » 29 Jun 2017, 00:08

"I had to re adjust the suspension as the manufacturer or the seller had overtightened the white springs so the rear yellow springs had no function, and with the solid 14 inch tyres an extremely rough ride. Even with the adjustment made, there is a lowered pavement corner of Bentsbrook Road and Spook Hill (North Holmwood) where the chair gets stuck"

Hi,
I hope that you are still reading replies to this rather old post.
I bought one in April. I was looking for one that was stable and small enough to get into the lift where I live and also into a storage cupboard on the landing. I would have preferred a mobility scooter but I would have had to keep that in a communal garage reserved for scooters that is quite a trek from our end of the building.
Like you I find it a very rough ride as out local pavements leave a lot to be desired. Even the promenade has a mixture of changing surfaces that I bump along swearing at every impact.
I bought it second hand from a long established dealer. It looked in good condition. After a week I spoke to him about my experiences some of them hair raising on various surfaces and questioned its suspension. He said that the previous owner had not had it for long nor used it much so the springs were still being broken in and it would improve with time!
That is obviously not the case. I phoned Roma, why is that ones who answer the phone are 'not technical' and cannot give an answer. I asked her to seek out someone who was and she came back with a reply that I should take it to the supplier. What tools did you use to make the adjustment?
I phoned them quoting your adjustment and they said the white springs could only be moved slightly and it would not make any difference. I quoted the makers blurb and video that it offers an unsurpassed degree of comfort enabling it to travel comfortably over quite rough terrain and a review elsewhere from a Guy who takes his to the Caribbean every year where pavements are practically non existent and the roads are rough and he also covers rough ground. They said to take it in on Friday and they would have a look at it.
I then phoned ROMA again and got a more technical person who also said that the springs should not be adjusted and if they were loosened too much they could come away from the chassis. He did say that he would phone the company I bought it from. His only other suggestion was to change from the solid tyres. I said if it needed pneumatic tyres that is what they would fit as normal.
Another problem last week was that it twice did not completely charge. In the morning the fan had stopped but the lights were still red and yellow. I assumed it was OK and had no problem the first day as it had not really needed much of a charge. The second time I was not that far from home when the three red lights started to flash and it was bleeping. I slowly made my way home and put it on charge. This time the green light did come on at the end of it.
Seasider2006

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2017, 01:23

Air filled tyres will help with the ride.

And its best to leave on the charger a good few hours after the green appears. If there time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Seasider2006 » 29 Jun 2017, 08:44

I would have preferred one with air filled tyres but main consideration was finding one that fitted into out rather small lift.
Seasider2006

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2017, 09:48

You can swap the tyres...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2017, 09:54

Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Seasider2006 » 30 Jun 2017, 13:02

It looks the same but the name is different.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roma-Medical-M ... bella+p200
Seasider2006

Postby Seasider2006 » 30 Jun 2017, 13:04

It looks the same but the name is different.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roma-Medical-M ... bella+p200
Seasider2006

Return to Powerchair Reviews