Foldawheel PW-1000XL review

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Foldawheel PW-1000XL review

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 15 Oct 2017, 21:59

Could i use a pair of 12v 20ah agm batteries instead.
Obviously make a new battery box and upgrade wiring
for a bit more range and safer option really.[/quote]

Not sure those would fit and give you enough ground clearance. Even if they did, you'd have to make the box very carefully, so as not to impair the chair's ability to fold.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years now, and it continues to perform flawlessly with the original battery pack (I use the maximum 3 batteries). My range is easily 20 miles on the few occasions I've pushed it that far. In everyday use (around the home/neighborhood and around the office) I only need to recharge it about once every couple of weeks.

The only safety issue I've had is when I took a curb cutout too quickly and got dumped on my back last February. The rear casters were useless and just folded flat under me. I removed the casters, learned to be more careful and haven't had a recurrence since.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby hank » 15 Oct 2017, 22:12

Yes i understand where you coming from.
What i was going to do was fit the batteries in a proper bought battery bag for each battery
then fit in the front of the PM either in the STD canvas bag behind footplate Or make
the bags easy to fasten on frame tubing to undo and lift out.
Basically so i could unplug and remove easily from chair if needed to fold
making it lighter to handle.
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby Burgerman » 15 Oct 2017, 23:04

Why not use two 12v 8400mah hobby lifepo4 packs? That will double range.
Or 4. 2 parallel, 2 serires. They will fit in your pocket, and will geve much better range than 20Ah lead?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby hank » 16 Oct 2017, 10:08

I know its a much easier and lighter battery pack
But not got a charger for 12v 8400mah hobby pack.
Sold all my heli hobby stuff.
When i go lifepo4 route i will then get a Celpro pl8 charging system and power pack.
Thanks on options :thumbup:
Quickie groove Brushless
BM2.5 clone
hank

Postby MenCallMeGimpy » 23 Oct 2017, 01:01

Generic Name wrote:Hello!

Has anyone had an issue with the PW-1000 or PW-999 similar to the following: The chair seems to have difficulty when maneuvering at certain angles (typically straight left or right).

I haven't encountered anything like that in my PW-1000. It can get a little nose-happy on inclines, but on the flat it handles very well and is quite smooth (for a chair of its size with no suspension). Your experience sounds like one of the hub motors may be having problems. Torque-wise the chair is nothing special, but is certainly capable of hauling my 13 stone (180lb) carcass around without complaint, even up hills that exceed its recommended incline ability. I can get a steady 5mph (as determined by a speedometer app on my phone) all day long, or at least as long as my spine can take it over Los Angeles' ridiculously rough pavements.

Let us know what Wheelchair88 tells you. They've been pretty good with the few issues I had, so here's hoping they get you sorted out quickly.
MenCallMeGimpy

Postby Sully » 28 Oct 2017, 19:51

Have you considered asking Wheelchair 88 if you can acquire a programmer for your chair? Ask if your motors can be re-set. You will not reset your motors themselves but the controls that operate them. This sounds like one motor may not be getting the power it needs to respond to your demands. They sound as if they are not synchronized. Turn them to 0% and then re-set to what you think you want. I would keep a written record with the info with what you do, so you can refer back to it. Every manufacturer's programmer does essentially the same things, they just use some different language. Some do go a bit deeper into the controller. Good luck with it. Keep us posted with your progress.
Sully

Postby Burgerman » 28 Oct 2017, 21:12

Remember that its easy to just write a bit of code that seems to work ok. Compared to decades of fine tuning and bug fixing. Of the kind that Lenny is doing with our roboteq code for 5 years so far! And the 20 years that Dynamic or Curtis instruments or PG Drives have done. Where do you suppose that the cheap chinese controller is along this path? And brushless is difficult and has issues with starting torque.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby scootntootn » 03 Jul 2021, 23:29

Thought I'd post car loading techniques here too. Different chair, but odds are good the same levering technique can be used. https://eloflex.eu/load-in-car/
Irritatingly female..
Scooter: Afikim Superlight SL2 and a small full size for longer trips.
scootntootn

Previous

Return to Powerchair Reviews