You-Q Alex & luca and Salsa MWD

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

You-Q Alex & luca and Salsa MWD

Postby mous3 » 23 Jan 2015, 18:12

Luca.
pros compact RWD very good tie down points takes rehab seating has tilt in space backing in to small spaces is easy drives where you point it outside can mount low curbs without curb climber 4" anti tips work and don't get in the way.
Negatives the front castors at 10" catch a lot indoors and adversely affect steering they do nothing to improve the ride you don't need much of a bump at all to get a rude jolt up your spine.

Alex SWB RWD
Smooth ride, fits in exceptionaly small spaces with carefully steering now I swore my pavement outside my flat was undriveable but in this chair I was actually comfortable can allso get up 3-4" curbs without curb climber. Fits all manor of rehab seating tilt and recline independently adjustable
Not so good bits
Ground clearance on the 12" tires is poor and causes the anti tips to catch these tires are stupidly narrow too so go for the 14" option just like the luca It's around castors are to big for it but smaller ones are available.
With both you can chose center adjustable foot rest or standard. Controls are dynamics of P&G your chose speed from 4mph up to 12mph batteries fit in length ways so 60ah max on the short wheel base and luca access to them is from in front so changing whole pack with center leg rest would be a pain.
As NHS standard the controler programming was vague to be polite.

The Salsa
Looks like Sh## drives like sh## will if it doesn't ground re-brake you spine on the most pathetic of bumps It's long length means the their is no point in it being mid wheel drive as it can't turn without one set of castors or an other catching on something.
I apologise to those who like thier Salon's but really.
mous3

Re: You-Q Alex & luca and Salsa MWD

Postby Burgerman » 23 Jan 2015, 20:21

>>> Negatives - adversely affect steering they do nothing to improve the ride you don't need much of a bump at all to get a rude jolt up your spine.

If large casters are affecting steering your real problem is both CG position (that affects steering severely) or/and the massive issue of PROGRAMMING.

Watch. 10 inch caster, very heavy 22 stone plus user, and old tired "soggy" batteries. Programmed properly.
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/control.mp4 Download to desktop. They should have ZERO effect on steering.

As for large casters giving a rough ride then the pressures must be too high. Mine are at really low pressure and sort of bend around everything. Because the tyre has a bigger cross section. Again you cant do that with CG too far forwards as on most chairs or you cant steer properly...

And bigger diameter wheels always work better on any uneven surface. But there's no miracles. A chair is too high, too short, too heavy, like a barstool.

>>> Controls are dynamics of P&G your chose speed from 4mph up to 12mph -

This is 12mph. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM3-con ... -shake.mp4 you can overtake cars...

12 mph? Really? With 60Ah batteries and a 24v system?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mous3 » 25 Jan 2015, 17:43

I have gone for the 9" castors they are the same width as the 10" but will give me the extra space I need to open my big cupboard in my tiny kitchen and 14" x 3" on the back of the Alex let's see if i get it.... The center of gravity on either was poo the Luca couldn't keep It's castors on the ground tipping over little bumps and jaring you badly as they came back down and the programming was pants

The Alex come in 12mph format but your point about the voltage and capacity is spot on I would say no torque and very poor range with that setup
Center of gravity is adjustable on both chairs you can move the seat section forward or back by up to 4"
mous3

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2015, 18:08

I suspect you are confused.

The 12 KILOMETER per hour Alex is the fastest chair they do. Unless I am very mistaken. That makes it only 7.5 to 8 mph.

A 12MPH chair with stock powerchair mobility controller/motors/batteries would be all but unusable.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 25 Jan 2015, 18:43

you wont get any off the shelf above 8mph. think you mean 12kph
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 25 Jan 2015, 18:45

Actually the fastest Alex is 7.8mph and a special order. It will like all faster chairs lack torque, control, range.

http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/public/ ... K_Alex.pdf

You are light so might do ok with it, as long as you understand the compromise.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby mous3 » 25 Jan 2015, 19:36

Duh yep kph/mph oops sorry I know
mous3

Return to Powerchair Reviews