LOOKING TO BUY POWER CHAIR... YOUR INPUT

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

LOOKING TO BUY POWER CHAIR... YOUR INPUT

Postby ctcadman » 02 Mar 2019, 03:32

I'm been looking at a Quantum Q6 edge (300 lb unit) a Pronto m91 (400 lb unit) and the Hoveround Teknique XHD . I don't need this chair every day . I'm mobile I drive car but walk with a cane. I can't stand for too long I have 6 screws in knee and plate in hip. I'm 330 LBS I'm looking to use it on vacation / go shopping with wife / go to the fairs. I want to spend less than $1000.00 if possible. I have been looking on ebay / craigslist. Could you help me which one to buy. Pro and cons. The quantum looks modern .. but I heard the were junk. M91 pronto was built like a tank. Some one reviewed Hoveround Teknique XHD and said the only 5 miles and they had to recharge it and it was new. Your knowledge and opinions would be helpful.. WHAT WOULD YOU BUY??? Thanks Mark
ctcadman

Re: LOOKING TO BUY POWER CHAIR... YOUR INPUT

Postby EdwinC » 02 Mar 2019, 04:08

I have 6 power chairs, 4 are Permobil, bought each of them for less than $1000 off Ebay ans Craigslist. I prefer Permobil C300 by far, have 3 all with different options.
EdwinC

Postby Burgerman » 02 Mar 2019, 12:10

Everyone wants something different. For E.g. I wouldnt touch any mid drive or front drive with a barge pole. And I wouldnt buy any chair that didnt have 100A or more controller, grp 24 battery area, and access to full programming facilities - not a dealer level tool. And centre footplate. And 6mph - not faster, or slower 4 pole motors.

Thats my list of essentials. Because those simple parameters mean I get a chair that works and steers properly outdoors. And anything else does not.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby F3Head » 03 Mar 2019, 23:41

If the seating system is important to you, I would go with Permobil. I like the Corpus seating system.

F3HEAD
F3Head

Postby martin007 » 09 Apr 2019, 00:20

Burgerman wrote:Everyone wants something different. For E.g. I wouldnt touch any mid drive or front drive with a barge pole. And I wouldnt buy any chair that didnt have 100A or more controller, grp 24 battery area, and access to full programming facilities - not a dealer level tool. And centre footplate. And 6mph - not faster, or slower 4 pole motors.

Thats my list of essentials. Because those simple parameters mean I get a chair that works and steers properly outdoors. And anything else does not.

The budget is only 1000$.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 09 Apr 2019, 05:16

If possible. It isnt. Unless very lucky used.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Mechniki » 10 Apr 2019, 01:13

330 lbs, if that is correct, assuming that is; a bariatric chair would be a better fit. You're unlikely to get a new electric bariatric chair for under £1000 let alone $1000. Most electric wheelchairs are designed for people up to 18 stone, there are some that cater to 21 stone. But 23 stone is definitely a bariatric fit. I expect many chairs would cater even if the limit was 18 stone.
https://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/el ... hair/10200

Having tried the narrower version on the chair in the link, it was generally very good except it's standard wheels were too tight for my bedroom (couldn't get through the door frame), though the built in wheel hub could have been shortened if needed. It uses 34 Ah AGM batteries, 2 of, it boasts a range of 15 miles, the batteries lift off a wire frame individually, making it lighter for transportation (in component parts) and folds to about 8 inches flat. Typical range is actually about 8 miles less your own weight. Though as it's a wider chair, it can accommodate 50 Ah batteries of the AGM variety. It has no suspension, so will feel rough on uneven ground or board walks. Has a top speed of 4mph and to be honest it would benefit from an kerb climber (partly as it adds to rigid strength). The charger supplied with the chair is a standard 24V 5Amp. So if you want to use it for travel, buy a better charger and batteries.
Mechniki

Postby ex-Gooserider » 10 Apr 2019, 07:08

ctcadman wrote:I'm been looking at a Quantum Q6 edge (300 lb unit) a Pronto m91 (400 lb unit) and the Hoveround Teknique XHD . I don't need this chair every day . I'm mobile I drive car but walk with a cane. I can't stand for too long I have 6 screws in knee and plate in hip. I'm 330 LBS I'm looking to use it on vacation / go shopping with wife / go to the fairs. I want to spend less than $1000.00 if possible. I have been looking on ebay / craigslist. Could you help me which one to buy. Pro and cons. The quantum looks modern .. but I heard the were junk. M91 pronto was built like a tank. Some one reviewed Hoveround Teknique XHD and said the only 5 miles and they had to recharge it and it was new. Your knowledge and opinions would be helpful.. WHAT WOULD YOU BUY??? Thanks Mark

You don't mention where you live - this is an international forum and what is available varies... If you go to the User Control Panel near the top of the page you can add your location (country will do if you don't want to be precise)

Given your stated 330lb weight, I would look for a chair with at least a 300lb capacity rating, and wide enough seating (depending on your shape, might or might not need to be a 'bariatric' chair...

Again given the weight, I would want a chair with Group 24 or possibly 34 batteries - avoid smaller batteries as they will give you range problems.... Similarly, you definitely don't want an 8mph chair, and even a 6 might be low on torque... A 4mph chair will have more torque so won't bog under your weight on slopes and hills, and given the things you describe as uses, would be fast enough (remember that 4mph is faster than normal walking speed, and you don't want to go fast in crowded areas, or make your wife play track-star)

My recollection is that the Quantum chairs use undersize batteries. and Pride is generally best avoided anyway... I've never heard much about the Pronto's but your 'built like a tank' sounds like they might be a reasonable choice. Not sure about the Hoveround, other than another person I know says they are often available cheap, and he and some friends often use them as 'parts donors' for off-road buggy creations.... He also said he uses one to mow his lawn with a push mower...

BM has unusually high demands for his chairs as a 'high performance' user in many respects... While his recommendations are definitely ideal goals, it sounds like your use case is much less extreme, so it might be reasonable to consider chairs that he would not consider adequate...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby Mechniki » 10 Apr 2019, 17:50

seems betterlife has ceased trading today
Mechniki

Postby Scooterman » 22 May 2019, 10:16

Burgerman wrote:4 pole motors.

Being a bit of a powerchair numpty. One thing I particularly notice is the difference between a powerchair and scooter in going up a say a 3 inch kerb. With the 180Ah lithium scooter I have to take a slight run up and bump it up the kerb, otherwise it bogs down and more throttle doesn't help. But with the 75Ah LA powerchair it climbs up so easy without a run up, so much so that I only have it on 1-LED speed setting. I guess having two motors helps, but I was also wondering if the 4-pole motors help?
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 22 May 2019, 16:57

But with the 75Ah LA powerchair it climbs up so easy without a run up, so much so that I only have it on 1-LED speed setting. I guess having two motors helps, but I was also wondering if the 4-pole motors help?

Yes. But also you have double the amps. From the controller, so a 90A controller for E.G. gives you 90A twice. Amps = torque.

The reason it goes up at the slow speed setting is called Motor Load Compensation. Behind the scenes, it ADDS much more than your 1 speed setting... Right up to maximum amps. Thats what it is for. If you were to reduce the setting called Motor Load Compensation to zero, then it will still climb the step/curb. But you will need to manually give it much more throttle, and use the fast speed setting. Then it will shoot away like a rocket once the obstacle has been overcome.

Motor compensation prevents this. It gives you more power only as required.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 25 May 2019, 02:58

This isn't what you asked but if you can still stand briefly to transfer, you might want to consider a scooter. Scooters only use power to move where as power chairs must use battery power to steer.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Return to Powerchair Reviews