Permobil Mid-wheeo drive vs front wheel drive

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Permobil Mid-wheeo drive vs front wheel drive

Postby MrSpudboy » 12 Apr 2019, 10:00

I am almost ready for a new chair. I have a Quantum mid wheel drive now. I also own an older rear-wheel drive. I will go with a Permobil F3, or an F5 if Medicare will pay for it

The Quantum mid wheel chair will high center very easily. I have read that the front wheel drive will not high center as easily as a mid wheel drive. Rear wheel drive is out of the question because I need rehab seating and a seat elevator, both of which have limits with a rear wheel drive configuration. I am thinking that having two less casters to get wound up in something might be a blessing as well.

What do you all think?

Thanks for any advice!
MrSpudboy

Re: Permobil Mid-wheeo drive vs front wheel drive

Postby Burgerman » 12 Apr 2019, 11:10

Well I would avoid permobil for reasons of programming (you often cannot) and FWD because of speed stability (and again programming because it needs a gyro to go straight at all). And so for anyone that wants a chair that steers properly its a no no as it just cant. That may or may not bother you.

What seating restrictions on rear drive?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby swalker » 13 Apr 2019, 03:30

I have Permobil front wheel drive and rear wheel drive wheelchairs. I have tested their mid wheel drive chairs and they are not for me.

My c350 (rear wheel drive) has seat elevate, power legs, recline, and tilt. My C500 has all of that as well. My C500s VS has all of that plus standing capability.

I am in the process of getting an F5, just waiting to see if private insurance will pay for the standing feature.

I vastly prefer front wheel drive to mid wheel drive. Front wheel drive will go more places than mid wheel drive. Front wheel drive requires (in my opinion) an electronic stabilizing unit, which Permobil has as their ESP.

My wheelchairs with an EZ Lock plate and stupid bolt sticking down high center too easily. The bolt is roughly in line with the drive wheels, but still, it is a pain.

When we remove the bolt from the EZ Lock plate (but not the plate itself), the ground clearance is fine for many of my off road adventures.

When I need more clearance, I switch to my Magic Mobility X4 wheelchair. It is great outdoors, but too large for many folks to use indoors.

After a bit of experience, I have found the front wheel drive chairs to be very easy to maneuver in tight spaces. It is second nature for me now.

Steve
Permobil F5 Corpus 3G
Permobil C500s VS
Permobil C500 Corpus 3G
Permobil C350 Corpus 3G
Magic Mobility X4 with 176 Ah LiFePO4
swalker

Postby MrSpudboy » 14 Apr 2019, 01:02

Thanks for the info. I was thinking I would go for the front wheel drive.

Usually the placment of the front casters on rear wheel drive machines limits the size and incline of the footplate, as the footplate has to fit between the wheels. I also need the seat elevation feature not offered on the rear wheel drive machines that I have choice of (Permobil and Quantum)
MrSpudboy

Postby MrSpudboy » 14 Apr 2019, 01:08

I would love to have a Magic Mobility 4 wheel drive, but I dont think Medicare would go for it. 8-)
MrSpudboy

Postby Burgerman » 14 Apr 2019, 04:27

Nobody mentioned 4 wheel drive. They are just powerchairs. :thumbup:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Twinpanther » 14 Apr 2019, 06:54

MrSpudboy wrote:I am almost ready for a new chair. I have a Quantum mid wheel drive now. I also own an older rear-wheel drive. I will go with a Permobil F3, or an F5 if Medicare will pay for it.

Not sure what "High Center" is. /shrug
I started out with a mid-wheel Q6 Edge. Was good for my first chair. Medicare paid their 80%
Just over 5 years later I got an F3 (Medicare will not pay for anything over 6mph so no F5). Rehab seating. Recline/tilt/legs. NO Seat Elevator or Standing (Medicare will not pay for either of these). Medicare paid 80%.
5 months ago I signed up for my VA benefits. 3 weeks ago the VA delivered my Loaded F5. If you can call being 100% disabled and a Vet Lucky, well I am.
The elevator and standing feature is a must if you live in a standard home or just want to sit at heights equal to others. Be it a dining table or sitting at the bar. It makes you feel a little more human. Medicare will let you pay for the elevator but don't expect much of a deal.
Good Luck!
Twinpanther

Postby ex-Gooserider » 16 Apr 2019, 01:43

High centering to me would be if you ended up with both sets of casters on a mid-wheel off the ground at the same time - and started rocking back and forth... However Mr SpudBoy may be referring to what I've more often seen referred to as 'bridging' where the drive wheels come off the ground because the casters are supporting the chair on each end - i.e. when making a steep ramp transition...

Front or rear wheel drive chairs are MUCH less likely to have a problem with this as you only have 4 wheels on the ground - unless you are lifted by overly low anti-tips....

Current design fads in the US make it hard to get good rear wheel drive chairs - but due to the lack of programability I would be inclined to avoid both Permobil and Pride....

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Return to Powerchair Reviews