Meyra optimus 2 a small review

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Meyra optimus 2 a small review

Postby terry2 » 20 Dec 2019, 12:38

I've only had this chair since Tuesday so bear with me.

Q=Where did you get your Meyra from and how was the service?

A=I got my Meyra through horizon mobility. Dealt with a gentelman called Peter. He helped me through the whole process of ordering right through till it got delivered. Peter even put up with me emailing him questions every other day :D Awesome guy.

Q=Is this chair hard to steer?
A=Well no more then I had when using my first chair. Now all is ok. No drunk streering.

Q=Is it unstable at high speed?
A=No. I was doing 11mph and I turned to test if it was unstable. It auto slowed down when I done a harsh turn. So that's good.

Q=Can you get to the R-Net controllers ok?
A= Yes. All electronics are in between the batteries. So dead easy to get too.

Q=Is your R-Net 120 amp?
A=Yes. I paid for the 120 amp version and a LCD controller. The big screen controller was to much money. I was on a tight budget but you can buy it when you order.

Q=Is your's the RS version?
A=No. The RS version comes with many extras. But I never had the cash.

Q=About the rear steering
A=The rear steering is just like a cars one. Only this has a small motor to turn the rack and pinion. See Picture

Q=What's the suspension like.
A=It's very good.I hardley feel bumps any more. Way better than my Puma 40S

Q=What batteries did it come wit and what's the real world mileage?
A=It came with 2 X 82Ah. I have not gone on a long jouene as of yet so I can't say about the mileage. But the battery space is massive and will hold many 200Amp cells.

If there is anything you want me to try or take a picture of. Just post
Attachments
IMG_20191220_060752.jpg
battery box.jpg
IMG_20191219_152000.jpg
terry2

Re: Meyra optimus 2 a small review

Postby Scooterman » 20 Dec 2019, 18:35

Wow! nice one Terry, and thank you for answering typical questions in advance. It's a lovely powerchair :admirer

Looking at it I can understand why it's such a comfortable ride, it's just what you need outdoors. Will you use it for everything, or is it mainly for going to the park, woods, lake, and general riding round outdoors taking in the scenery?

If it's the same Horizon Mobility I'm thinking of they make their own brand of mobility scooters, Horizon, Aztec, and Mayan, I think? :eh:

You're brave to do 11mph in a wheelchair! I hope you're buckled in securely :ambulance
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 20 Dec 2019, 21:34

Its a car, or scooter. Not a powerchair! But yes for outdoors they are great. And because its not a powerchair, it has 4 wheels that steer like a car. So 11 or more doesent feel fast or unstable. Albeit steers from the rear. And because they dont do tank steer like powerchairs, and have no casters, they get way more miles on a given battery than a powerchair. For indoors not so much. No sensible way to steer in a house. Its like shuffling around in a fork truck. But thats not what they are for. Its basically a scooter driving in reverse, with a joystick/servo turning the handlebars.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby snaker » 21 Dec 2019, 01:37

Is 11mph the original max speed or after you increase the motor voltage?

Does it have 2 motors, the bigger one is in the front and the smaller one in the rear (for driving)?
snaker

Postby Scooterman » 21 Dec 2019, 08:31

I like it Terry, it's a half way house between a powerchair and mob scooter, and easier to park indoors than a big scooter. It's worth knowing about, something I might consider one day in the future instead of a mobility scooter. And the top speed is great, I saw a video of a guy on youtube going fast along suburban roads, he had what looked like a storage pod fitted to the back. It looked liked it was designed for the Optimus 2, I.E. not a 3rd party product.
Scooterman

Postby terry2 » 21 Dec 2019, 09:02

Scooterman wrote:I like it Terry, it's a half way house between a powerchair and mob scooter, and easier to park indoors than a big scooter. It's worth knowing about, something I might consider one day in the future instead of a mobility scooter. And the top speed is great, I saw a video of a guy on youtube going fast along suburban roads, he had what looked like a storage pod fitted to the back. It looked liked it was designed for the Optimus 2, I.E. not a 3rd party product.

Look for the Russian guy going through snow on you tube :lol:

Yes the storage pod is just for the chair.
But it costs a bomb. It does swing from the back to your side so you can get access it. Which is handy.
I will save up and get one later next year.

I wanted a chair for outdoors. The puma 40 was good in doors and around streets. But not in the country side I.E fields\mud
The Meyra can go anywhere. My place is small so it's no good in doors for me.

But getting around my doctors\hospital\dentist\shops is a breeze.
It also has drum brakes if you need them.

Another advantage is that I only have to buy 1 motor. And that cost £600. My Puma 40 was £1,800 for 2 motors.
So a saving of £1,200 from the start.
terry2

Postby terry2 » 21 Dec 2019, 09:09

snaker wrote:Is 11mph the original max speed or after you increase the motor voltage?

Does it have 2 motors, the bigger one is in the front and the smaller one in the rear (for driving)?

You pay a small fee to have it unlocked to official 10 mph. It's a dongle that fits on the R-Net controller.
Peter at Horizon mobility went through every thing for me as this was my first chair with the help of WCS.

It has one big 950W motor at the front for powering\driving it.
It also has a very small motor for the rack and pinion drive shaft at the back.

So I can move my rear wheels left or right before moving.
Very good in tight spaces.
terry2

Postby snaker » 21 Dec 2019, 09:19

Yes, this chair has very good dimensions 116cm overall length and 68cm overall width, not bad for its strength. It just looks a little hooligan but that's good :cussing

If you increase the motor voltage up to 25.5V, you could gain the max speed 10+2mph.
snaker

Postby Burgerman » 21 Dec 2019, 11:47

The indoor problem is that it cant turn in place. It drves the same as a car/scooter with normal car style steering. So many 3 or 10 point turns. And its long wheelbase so thats not so easy. But all that is better outdoors.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 21 Dec 2019, 12:17

snaker wrote:Yes, this chair has very good dimensions 116cm overall length and 68cm overall width, not bad for its strength. It just looks a little hooligan but that's good :cussing

If you increase the motor voltage up to 25.5V, you could gain the max speed 10+2mph.

I never knew that.
But I would have to buy a R-Net dongle and then find out which of the 2 120 Amp controllers to change :lol:

Burgerman wrote:The indoor problem is that it cant turn in place. It drves the same as a car/scooter with normal car style steering. So many 3 or 10 point turns. And its long wheelbase so thats not so easy. But all that is better outdoors.

And that's why I bought it.
Just for outdoors and fields so I can take pictures(my hobby)

Next thing is I am going to buy some 4 ply 5.30 X 4.50 tires

Oh yes. If anyone want's my 8 mph Puma 40 for spares give me a shout.
It does have electric rise and electric back rest. It has a 90amp Dynamic system
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 21 Dec 2019, 13:37

Its only got one motor. It cant have 2 controllers. It uses a special and confusing rnet power module with a parallel output. Designed so that it can work like a scooter, but with a joystick in place of the handlebars. Steering is by an actuator module and a small motor as far as I know. I never took one apart but dont see any other way to do it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 21 Dec 2019, 14:54

Burgerman wrote:Its only got one motor. It cant have 2 controllers. It uses a special and confusing rnet power module with a parallel output. Designed so that it can work like a scooter, but with a joystick in place of the handlebars. Steering is by an actuator module and a small motor as far as I know. I never took one apart but dont see any other way to do it.

There are 2 modules in between the batteries.
Which on does what I don't know.

All I can say The Beast does an AWESOME :worship
terry2

Postby Scooterman » 21 Dec 2019, 18:51

I bet also unlike a standard fwd chair it's not like so much to flip 180 degrees when breaking downhill?
Scooterman

Postby rover220 » 21 Dec 2019, 20:00

terry2 wrote:
Burgerman wrote:Its only got one motor. It cant have 2 controllers. It uses a special and confusing rnet power module with a parallel output. Designed so that it can work like a scooter, but with a joystick in place of the handlebars. Steering is by an actuator module and a small motor as far as I know. I never took one apart but dont see any other way to do it.

Cant imagine it has 2 power modules.
rover220

Postby terry2 » 21 Dec 2019, 21:13

Scooterman wrote:I bet also unlike a standard fwd chair it's not like so much to flip 180 degrees when breaking downhill?

That would be bad if any chair did that!

rover220 wrote:
terry2 wrote:

Cant imagine it has 2 power modules.

From what I can see. It has a large module that the ports are filled(1 with a dongle)
And another where all the ports are filled up.
terry2

Postby Irving » 21 Dec 2019, 21:17

terry2 wrote:From what I can see. It has a large module that the ports are filled(1 with a dongle)

Piccie?
C5/6 A (complete)
Puma 40, 75Ah LiFePO4 (pic is on tour @ Whistler, BC)
Puma 40 backup, 73Ah MK (for now)
Spectra Plus (weedy 40Ah MK)
Irving

Postby Burgerman » 21 Dec 2019, 23:16

What dongle?
(1 with a dongle)

It will just be an inhibit wire. A link. I think.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 24 Dec 2019, 11:40

Irving wrote:
terry2 wrote:From what I can see. It has a large module that the ports are filled(1 with a dongle)

Piccie?

Sorry for the late reply.

When I can get someone to remove the battery for me, I will take pictures.
terry2

Postby terry2 » 24 Dec 2019, 11:43

Burgerman wrote:What dongle?
(1 with a dongle)

It will just be an inhibit wire. A link. I think.

So I payed for just a wire to make it go faster! not happy.

I have found 1 thing I don't like.
The profile button\switch on my old DX 2 could go up and down.
On the R-Net it can only go up then back to 1.

So slowing it down is a pain.
I do have a "mode" button does not do anything?
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 24 Dec 2019, 12:35

All of those things are very programable on r-net. Download the OEM R-Net programming software and take a look. Profiles, speeds, modes are all different things and the controls themselves all do and can be programmed to do different things. In different ways. With different speed of response, orders, etc. At least with the advanced joystick theres loads of options.

Yes your dongle is a wire. A dumb way to change the speed without need of a programmer.

And you dont actually need the wire. Because its just an inhibit. You can program that to be ignored, or to any speed you want.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby steves1977uk » 24 Dec 2019, 12:47

The Mode button depends on which modules you have fitted, e.g. Seating/Lift/Tilt etc... Also depending on which joystick you have, the LED version does have speed up/down buttons on it. The colour LCD version I don't know much about since I don't have one, but BM or rover will explain how to do this.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby steves1977uk » 24 Dec 2019, 12:54

Are we talking about the R-Net programming dongle or a different type of dongle? :?

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby Burgerman » 24 Dec 2019, 13:08

The dongle he is talking about is the thing that they fit to change the speed to fit the UK regulation (I.E. 8mph limit). Its basically a box that plugs into the chair with a wire or resister, or nothing at all in it to set the speed to whatever the country of use permits since the myra chairs can go faster.

Depending on how its configured a wire. Or one of 3 value resistors can set speed to one of 4 bands. All programming dependant.

As such it is a thing that plugs into an 'inhibit' socket the same as the ones used for seating etc. So yes he bought a bit of wire. It could just as easily be disabled in the programming to ignore that inhibit completely, instead.

(I think. I dont own a myra chair but dont see any other way it COULD be. Or would be.) They call it a 'dongle' because it plugs in. And charge £££ for it...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 24 Dec 2019, 15:41

Am I right in saying the dongle I need is Product code: D50611
terry2

Postby Burgerman » 24 Dec 2019, 17:41

No idea what any of the product codes mean. each is manufacturer specific. So the 'wrong' code can still be the same thing...

What are you looking for. An OEM programming dongle?

Or that plug with a bit of wire?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby rover220 » 24 Dec 2019, 18:12

D50610 is OEM dongle iirc
rover220

Postby Burgerman » 24 Dec 2019, 19:06

Its actually the full kit, I just looked it up for another reply.
This, dongle, software on disk, a registration nmber for updates, and a USB programming cable. https://powersoccershop.com/pcprogrammer.aspx

So it APPEARS that you bought a OEM level programmer, for THEM to disable an inhibit, or to change max speed, that you never got. That really is a 'dongle'. The thing you are looking at on the chair isnt - although I dont know what you are looking at... Because a programming dongle does not remain attached once used to make any changes.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby terry2 » 24 Dec 2019, 20:16

Burgerman wrote:Its actually the full kit, I just looked it up for another reply.
This, dongle, software on disk, a registration nmber for updates, and a USB programming cable. https://powersoccershop.com/pcprogrammer.aspx

So it APPEARS that you bought a OEM level programmer, for THEM to disable an inhibit, or to change max speed, that you never got. That really is a 'dongle'. The thing you are looking at on the chair isnt - although I dont know what you are looking at... Because a programming dongle does not remain attached once used to make any changes.

I only asked as I am getting one for £175 from the makers. And I wanted to know if it's the right one.

Not that I will need it. But just in case :)
terry2

Postby greybeard » 25 Dec 2019, 10:33

If that is the OEM dongle it is a remarkably low price compared to the £400 odd that most on here have had to pay from various worldwide sources.
greybeard

Postby Burgerman » 25 Dec 2019, 11:28

If that number is the dongle alone, technically you wouldnt be able to use it. Unless replacing a lost or broken one. It does I think, include the software (on official CD) or legal software usage rights. And also obviously updates etc. That needs registration, and a specific box code number, to allow you to register online. Or the cable to connect to PC. Officially... So if thats the number on the full kit, or is that the number on the dongle itself only?

I cant tell because I cant get to mine and the box is long gone!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Next

Return to Powerchair Reviews