polishing the turd!

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: polishing the turd!

Postby Viz » 06 Feb 2020, 19:12

@Burgerman Thanks mate makes complete sense, when I finally get down to Duke I should be able to make some progress if Duke has not handled it already.
Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
Bertrand Russell
Viz

Postby duke1 » 07 Feb 2020, 11:53

Viz wrote:@Burgerman Thanks mate makes complete sense, when I finally get down to Duke I should be able to make some progress if Duke has not handled it already.

i most def have not handled it! i tried what @woody suggests but am still stumped even after that as i cannot figure how you connect to the now inverted plug that is now stuck in the hirose socket on the new joystick the 3 tiny terminals all stayed stuck in the hirose socket and i was worried i may dislodge them and end up in the wrong hole! so after finding my glasses and a tiny pair of jewelery pliers i just put the plug back together i hope correct and retired to bed in a huff!
had another crack at the prog but have had enough and very close to binning the fucking lot!if i had known all this would be so difficult i would not have started ever and have less of a headache now!
anyhow i got the pleasure of taking her shopping this morning and boy is she in a bad mood!!!!!! :cussing
duke1

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 12:03

Theres no emoticon of a big thumb pressing on a head.

Seriously its not hard, or complicated. Many here have done this. You just need to relax and have a look at the readme file, and the wiring woody posted. Or the instructions on the link I gave you some time back...

The easy way is to buy r-net, and an OEM dongle. But thats not cheap. Its super easy though!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 07 Feb 2020, 12:19

Buy these.... you will need 3.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aukru-Male-Fem ... 4X5XBWZFTT

Then connect like this ...
DUPONT HIROSE.jpg

NOTE:- The Dupont female ends may need a bit of persuasion to push over the DB9 pins .... AND you should remove the pin housing on the BLACK / GND Dupont wires Male end....( you remove the male pin housing due to spacing issues )... to do this you just lift the retaining tab and extract the pin.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby duke1 » 07 Feb 2020, 12:24

Burgerman wrote:Theres no emoticon of a big thumb pressing on a head.

Seriously its not hard, or complicated. Many here have done this. You just need to relax and have a look at the readme file, and the wiring woody posted. Or the instructions on the link I gave you some time back...

The easy way is to buy r-net, and an OEM dongle. But thats not cheap. Its super easy though!

bless her she is very patient mostly but today is in great pain and so grumpy as hell one minute and ok the next,i find things with tiny precise parts difficult in the extreme and spend 90% of time constantly retrieving dropped parts and then due to no feeling in my rh index finger i have no sensation that governs how one grips and so randomly drop shit which becomes very frustrating very quickly!
my fear is i will break the lead trying to make it work on both chairs id rather find a plug that fits the hirose socket i think it may be easier for me and my useless hand.
as to the program well i have stopped trying today as yesterday just made me cross and grumpy too! i shall wait for @viz as he knows about such things far more than me,
on brightside i did after many hours of fixing have the centre footplate on and working properly on the puma 40 its 90% straighter and adjusts as it should now and not tangling in the casters !
thanks for trying to help,peace
duke1

Postby woodygb » 07 Feb 2020, 12:27

The Hirose plug is available in kit form ...but it is expensive.

NOTE:- I have bought and constructed one and will NOT do it again.... it is a PITA even with a magnifying light and 2 working hands.

I could make you a homebrewed one using a felt tip pen top as the plug housing.
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 12:43

I just superglued some single plug pins together after filing them a little thinner. Then heatshrink it.

I used 5 pins.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 07 Feb 2020, 12:55

woodygb wrote:The Hirose plug is available in kit form ...but it is expensive.

NOTE:- I have bought and constructed one and will NOT do it again.... it is a PITA even with a magnifying light and 2 working hands.

I could make you a homebrewed one using a felt tip pen top as the plug housing.

hi woody i did have a quick look for a hirose plug on ebay but i found allsorts none of which looked right.
so i decided till the program works and the puma 40 gets reprogram done then if needs be i shall dismantle the lead to do the hirose type one after.
but all in all a right pita! see even with specs and jewelers pliers i find tiny parts near impossible to handle now and so many things get lost/broken/stuck in strange places (try inside the battery box on the puma!) i dropped the only t40 socket in the set right inside the puma could even see it but even a magnet would not pick the cnut up banghead !
if you could make me a plug that i can attach to the wires and fit the hirose socket it would sure help tbh if they were not so close together terminals id have a go at making something but far to fiddly for me now,cheers
duke1

Postby woodygb » 07 Feb 2020, 12:56

OK..I will make one.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 13:03

A serial adapter, USB lead. +

Mine, bought wires epoxied together as a plug with a bit of heatshrink to make sure... https://www.amazon.co.uk/40pcs-2-54mm-B ... MKXW2WRRE5

Soldered at the ceap ebay SubD connector.
Attachments
810_1816.JPG
810_1818.jpg
810_18182.jpg
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 07 Feb 2020, 13:13

So you can use the Orange DWIZ if needed. Or in your case, dont use it, as its not needed.

A diy plug that anyone can make.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby woodygb » 07 Feb 2020, 14:48

duke1 wrote:if you could make me a plug that i can attach to the wires and fit the hirose socket it would sure help tbh if they were not so close together terminals id have a go at making something but far to fiddly for me now,cheers

Done and tested.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby duke1 » 07 Feb 2020, 15:47

woodygb wrote:
duke1 wrote:if you could make me a plug that i can attach to the wires and fit the hirose socket it would sure help tbh if they were not so close together terminals id have a go at making something but far to fiddly for me now,cheers

Done and tested.

wow quick work woody!thank you again for your kind help i will get there eventually!!!! :worship i am just wanting the job over now tbh,then concentrate on my cars mot! do you have my addy still? bless you ;)
duke1

Postby woodygb » 07 Feb 2020, 17:26

P.M. it again please.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby duke1 » 09 Feb 2020, 17:49

hi all well im not getting anywhere with the damn pain in the arse program and my friend who was helping has been called away i have spent many hours and much time reading and trying to understand but i fear it is beyond me.
the damn computer dont help some bits go one place some another when i download and i cant work out navigating back to the needed bit,ive tried about 10x today and still only wizard lite works with one red button thihg so still basic no good.
my comp keeps saying it cant open files and or they are not there though they are showing on the programs bit. is there anyone who could program the thing if i send it(the js module not my comp!) czy ?i swear i will end up mad and bald at this rate and the area is flooding again so she needs the mudmonster working more than ever,quite honestly wish id never started this but equally cant afford to give up! banghead
duke1

Postby steves1977uk » 09 Feb 2020, 19:25

I would do it for you duke, but I don't have any Dynamic stuff here including the connectors/leads. :thumbdown: Think it would be easier for you to stick with PG Drives stuff, at least you can program them way easier without any hassle. :thumbup:

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby woodygb » 09 Feb 2020, 20:20

duke1 wrote:hi all well im not getting anywhere with the damn pain in the arse program and my friend who was helping has been called away i have spent many hours and much time reading and trying to understand but i fear it is beyond me.
the damn computer dont help some bits go one place some another when i download and i cant work out navigating back to the needed bit,ive tried about 10x today and still only wizard lite works with one red button thihg so still basic no good.
my comp keeps saying it cant open files and or they are not there though they are showing on the programs bit. is there anyone who could program the thing if i send it(the js module not my comp!) czy ?i swear i will end up mad and bald at this rate and the area is flooding again so she needs the mudmonster working more than ever,quite honestly wish id never started this but equally cant afford to give up! banghead

What do you want doing?
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby duke1 » 09 Feb 2020, 21:13

woodygb wrote:
duke1 wrote:hi all well im not getting anywhere with the damn pain in the arse program and my friend who was helping has been called away i have spent many hours and much time reading and trying to understand but i fear it is beyond me.

What do you want doing?

hi woody well i thought as its got the puma 40 motors and control gear if i got it to communicate i would use the file from the puma 40 i bought and in theory should be right on most of the settings.
but being a used ebay purchase and being unable to read it ive no idea on what settings it has installed if any.
i have it wired up and it switches on with no flash codes or such but does not operate anything despite unlocking the magnetic key bit so i guess needs unlocking in programming? i tell you that fecking chair hates me and is trying to drive me even more bonkers! czy i have the saved file from the puma on my comp. cheers
duke1

Postby woodygb » 09 Feb 2020, 22:29

Well ... I could probably transfer the settings if you want me to try.
Niels Bohr
woodygb

Postby duke1 » 27 Oct 2020, 22:17

hi all just to say the mudmonster is a year old today!been used lots and hard ,still has the cheap lead bricks i have kept them topped up with acid and its charged fully for 12 hours atleast so they lasted 9 months longer than expected and hoping they see out this winter ok and then should be able to fit a set of leochs.
i did the @burgerman mod on the cush drives (new ones) and fitted to both motors so it shouldnt eat this set so quick!
the chair has had a small service and checked the pressure in the rear tyres for first time in months and still exactly the 4psi i put in :dance
i fitted the dynamic 90 amp system and the nice metal joystick and thanks to @woody for all the help with program and going to the extra trouble of constructing the lead,she still loves to use the mudmonster and can say the best conversion humanely possible now from the turd it started as!
also perfected my diy tubeless wheel in 250/280/4 been inflated 3 weeks and still at 20 they started at,just need to find the energy to change them over now i been suffering copd episode and is horrid,peace all and happy motoring :joint
duke1

Postby duke1 » 09 Jan 2021, 22:10

hi all well i have a strange one again,i stole the master remote from the mudmonster for tinas gunter meier chair and replaced the mudmonster one with this Genie powerchair mk1. joystick Dynamic DX REMG80A
it has dynamic 90a dx pm and previous master joystick was the dx rem 24 sd 90a so if im thinking right its 10amp smaller so why does the chair now go like a rocket and wheelie away from standing start at twice the rate it did before and on the exact same program other than having to convert it for compatibility ive done nothing else,was the first master remote just weak ? not complaining but just puzzling :? :joint
duke1

Postby Burgerman » 09 Jan 2021, 22:56

No idea. But probably a setting somewhere in programming. Such as acceleration scaling or a different joystick setting.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 13 Jan 2021, 21:30

Burgerman wrote:No idea. But probably a setting somewhere in programming. Such as acceleration scaling or a different joystick setting.

hi what i find odd but good is before i changed it the lefthand motor was not sounding right by that i do not mean the normal sorts of sounds one would expect from a worn gearbox or badly damaged motor,more like if you turn down an electric motor voltage too far and they labour to run and the sound changes back to smooth as you increase volts again,but now it is same as righthand in power and sounds far happier,so maybe its possible the current to that motor was somehow less than the other and it showed when driving by needed more stick one way than other to keep it going straight and even.
just as well though the muds getting deeper round here by the minute so tina will need the mudmonster for doing the dogs,also going to look for a small outdoor wheelchair shelter that can go out front for the outdoor chair,anyone use such thing or know of a good easy one?,stay well all :joint
duke1

Postby duke1 » 28 Sep 2021, 18:45

hi all just a quick update on the mudmonster i built for my tina,its still brilliant around here and all that has needed doing since my last post is replacing the now bald rear tyres,even the cheapo tayna deep cycle leisure batteries are still in good working order and it still has all the torque power and range it had at the start (approx 12 miles at full speed) used without mercy but charged fully every single night.
it helps that the chair is very light and so are myself and tina but even so i been surprised at the cheapo lead i thought id have had to replace after a year,nearly 2 and still reliable :clap
last week we took both the mudmonster and my newly built puma40 out to the woods around horsham along a track made by the local bmx riders,tina got all the way around in the mudmonster!
i got bogged down after about halfway and she had to tow me out!which it did no problem thought it really shows how much better the mudmonster is :worship
right of to search for decent 145/70/6 low pressure tyres.peace all :joint
duke1

Postby duke1 » 29 Sep 2021, 20:48

hi all well i done pretty well and have managed to buy a pair of 145/70-6 off road tyres still low pressure but with 4 ply instead of the previous 2 ply and a better tread pattern that should not allow gross amounts of mud to adhere to the tyre for just under £24 new old stock so next week i shall find out how difficult removing the old tyre is having used continental tyre cement to secure the tyre to rim,heres what i bought they look ok and same make on my old quad bike have lasted a couple of years,
s-l1600new tyre 3.jpg

s-l1600new tyre2.jpg

s-l1600 new tyre.jpg

so mudmonster will be fit for another winter of dragging through the quagmire :dance :joint
duke1

Postby duke1 » 30 Sep 2021, 18:45

hi all well the tyres came today and i managed to remove the old worn out ones with a little persuasion :hammer but the new ones are very much thicker material and i decided rather than struggle myself i would do the smart thing and take them to the local tyre shop and get them to fit them,total waste of time as there insurance does not allow them to fit tyres to anything not deemed a passenger carrying motor vehicle so the boss told them there not to even try,so i took them home and managed to get the tyres onto the rims myself :clap :dance however i cannot for the life of me get the buggers to inflate!i tried all the normal tricks ratchet straps and removed the valve hooked my bigger pump up to the volvo with the engine running (it has extra large alternator) and even then it refuses to inflate :ak47 .
because of all the fecking morons blocking the roads waiting to get petrol i couldnt get anywhere near the petrol station with the car (dont even need bloody petrol) so if it is dry in the morning i shall bag the wheels and take a chair that way i can use the sodding pavement as the cars should all be nicked for obstruction,both bloody lanes and the roundabout czy .
also hurt my damn hand and thumb :cussing
on the brightside whilst the mudmonster is up on blocks i got to go round and check all the crucial bits and even after 2 years of constant use all is in good shape still :wave: just need some wind in me new tyres and she be set for action again,sorry needed to vent! no wonder i :joint so much!peace all cheers
duke1

Postby duke1 » 01 Oct 2021, 14:17

hoorah! this morning i set about the tyres again this time armed with some more continental tyre cement a bit of gorilla tape to seal the poxy useless hose they insist on using on the electric tyre pump with silly crimp things to not hold it together!that was most of my problem but this morning i got them both pumped up and back on mudmonster ready for the 3 oclock dogwalk :dance theres loads of mud to test it in atm as it pissed down all night czy the tyres are def far sturdier carcass than the sun ones i removed.
also just so you know if you use continental tyre cement on a rim you can still remove the tyre far easier than anticipated once you let the air out and jump up and down on the tyre a few dozen times it pops right off!
anyhow i need a new good very sturdy tyre pump with lots of oomph,any good ones known? by good i mean work for more than a few uses before breaking :argument i shall find out if my work was worth the now blue and aching thumbnail and cut knuckle! :x
so the local garage can get stuffed as normal i do it myself! :joint
duke1

Postby Burgerman » 01 Oct 2021, 19:14

Used one of these stolen from my brothers wifes car for 20 years. Works great. I replaced the screw on end with a push on one as used at a petrol station, its less fiddly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274933907302 ... SwleVhM3hP
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby duke1 » 01 Oct 2021, 21:16

Burgerman wrote:Used one of these stolen from my brothers wifes car for 20 years. Works great. I replaced the screw on end with a push on one as used at a petrol station, its less fiddly. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274933907302 ... SwleVhM3hP

cheers bm i shall have a look,i hate the screw on ones there stupid and half the air comes out the time it takes to unscrew it :fencing
anyhow the mudmonster is now fit for another wet winter,just as well as its getting rather boggy on the dogwalk and not got to the worst bit yet,still toying with fitting paddle wheels czy
i still cannot fathom tyre fitters refusing to fit tyres czy czy so as usual i end up doing it myself,, :thumbdown: good job i can i think or i would have been cross :argument pics of the old beast in her new rubber! :joint
chair drobes 01 10 21 001.JPG
chair drobes 01 10 21 002.JPG
chair drobes 01 10 21 003.JPG
cheers
duke1

Postby ex-Gooserider » 05 Oct 2021, 03:02

Motorcycle shops would probably have less of a problem w/ fitting non-automotive tires... The auto place is presumably worried about some dumb $#!T putting tires like that on a car, and then blaming them for it doing bad things...

If the nail has a blood blister under it, what I have found is a very effective first aid treatment is to get a small drill bit, ~1/16", or maybe 1-2mm, (clean it well first if you want to be fancy...)and turning it slowly by hand DRILL through the nail into the blood blister... Be ready for it to spray a bit when you break through the nail, but it will relieve the pressure, and get rid of nearly all the pain instantly. Then just let the nail grow out the way it usually does and all is well... (If you go to an MD, they will use fancy tools to do exactly the same thing, and charge you a bundle...)

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair