Stuck in Rehab facility

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Stuck in Rehab facility

Postby flagman1776 » 05 Dec 2020, 17:25

I've gotten myself into a bad situation. Due to my MS, 3 months ago, I was barely shuffling around the house on a walker, extremely limited in time and distance. Realizing MS is a progressive disease.
I went through several stressful days of tests, taken off my meds, and had several days of constant leg spasms. When the hospital wanted me to stand up, I could no longer bear weight on my ankles, which were very painful.
I seem now to have finally recovered from what ever injury it caused but my legs don't have the strength to support me. I'm now in a rehab facility. I've been working with OT, PT daily. My insurance is balking o assist because of my extremely slow progress. I'm able to stand to walker with 2 PTs to assist for 2-3 minutes, can barely shift right foot. Usually not left. If I can't shuffle, I can't go home.
PT wanted/insisted on a board tranfer to/from manual WC. With my poor upper body strength, I was man handled back and forth. Never felt so disabled short of a fall to the floor.

I am being Hoyred to a recliner for the day... out side of therapy.
I don't know where I go from here.
no longer able to use my TravelScoots
flagman1776

Re: Stuck in Rehab facility

Postby Burgerman » 05 Dec 2020, 17:32

What you should have done long ago. And was already suggested. Ready for when there was no option. A decent rehab powerchair all setup and properly configured ready to go that is tested and modded as needed to suit you. And a lowered floor minivan for transport that I think you already have.

And a patient lift to get you in/out as needed. They are battery powered and your wife or a carer can easily transfer you too and from the chair.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 05 Dec 2020, 18:19

Sorry to hear that - hope you get better soon and get home ASAP - you have to adjust and adapt now to new ways of doing things -

new wheelchair that works for you as BM said -
Quickie P222se - 60Ah ADD ON
Quickie S646se - 150Ah LifePo4
Quickie 636 - 200ah LifePo4
Bounder Plus - 200Ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby biscuit » 05 Dec 2020, 18:40

Scary situation! I wondered how you are I hope your abilities come back some time. I've had things come back very gradually. Unfortunately planning for MS (or other degenerative conditions either, I suppose) is a thankless task. And with MS there's usually no energy to spare. Running as fast as you can to stay in the same place. Though in my case I might start to look after the monstrous wheelchair. The monstrous wheelchair didn't do my remaining walking ability any favours... I got out of the habit of fighting for every step and I noticed walking getting harder, so I stopped using it. It's part of the reason I prefer using my tiny little chair.

I totally feel for you. And also wonder whether Scooterman fell to the MS, as he isn't posting. There's a couple of us here that dread this, it is like a regular visit to hell. Get well soon.
biscuit

Postby flagman1776 » 05 Dec 2020, 19:16

The PTs were very anxious that I move the manual WC with my feet... only limited success pushing it backwards. PT telling me there a manual chair with cross linked drive wheels as if my limited Right arm could handle it with out further breakdown.

They are leaving the Hoyer pad under me all day in the recliner with is very uncomfortable on my rear. I'm trying to get in the recliner before lunch and staying through dinner. Unless I need a bed pan earlier. I have a follie cath because I can't pee when I'm horizontal.

I am with you on the powerchair if I can't return to my previous mobility.
flagman1776

Postby Burgerman » 05 Dec 2020, 19:35

I am T4 paraplegic. So my arms are normal. A manual chair is what all the physios and OT push you towards. Program your mid. With you dont "need" a powerchair.

Its all bull.

I bought a powerchair after 2 years with various manual chairs. And got my life back. The manual ones are so restrictive. So impossible to do anything or go anywhere. And without proper rehab seating are so uncomfortable.

Dont allow them to persuade you!

Get a GOOD rehab powerchair with every option ticked for lift, recline, tilt, power legs etc. Just like your recliner, with better seating, and any position you want. And it can go to the shops, the loo, anywhere. You should have done this a decade ago.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby biscuit » 05 Dec 2020, 20:34

You are not going to be able to use a manual wheelchair. What are they on about. :cussing Even ignoring the inconvenience of it, the energy cost and the damage to your shoulders, it is not reasonable for them to assume that you will be able to develop and maintain the arm strength.

Here in the UK the health and public services also like to act as though tomorrow does not exist.
biscuit

Postby expresso » 05 Dec 2020, 20:43

what happens is - the rules for a power wheelchair - are to some degree very outdated and need to be changed - thats another story - but legs say you cant walk - but your upper body is good - you may not qualify for a power chair - they say you can use a manual since your upper body is good -

i am sure if your doc. says you need a power chair - you would get it one way or another - i know a guy who been using manual for ever - he didnt mind - but by overdoing it with his arms shoulders - now he damaged them and now hes in a power chair anyway - like BM said also - a manual is so useless limited -

you can really take a ride with one - i go very far with my chair - no way you can do anywhere near the distance with a manual - no matter how strong you are upper body
expresso

Postby flagman1776 » 05 Dec 2020, 21:48

An attendant gets the lift sling under me by rolling side to side on the bed. How do they remove it in a chair if you can't stand? Or are you forced to sit on it for the duration?
flagman1776

Postby biscuit » 05 Dec 2020, 23:56

Oh dear, flagman - I don't know. In 2010-ish I got such a sheet when I had an attack, I couldn't get out of bed for some weeks, a period which I'm happy to say I've put right behind me and mostly forgotten. I remember some crawling on all fours to get onto a click-clack bed we had at home. And various people lifting me & my canvas wheelchair over the lintel into the garden. And therapists coming to visit with all kinds of goodies including a plastic sheet to help me turn over or something, I forget what. My long-suffering mother and I tried using the sheet a couple of times and decided it was easier to crawl.
But I left the hospital before they wanted me to go, hence the canvas wheelchair and the crawling (which I would never have done except at home). I do my own thing about my health whenever I can.
biscuit

Postby stevelawiw » 06 Dec 2020, 00:29

Prism make a sling designed to stay under you in a wheelchair all day, I think they are called Comfort, something like that I can't tell any more as the labels have lost all thier writing from the washing. I sit in them all day.
stevelawiw

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2020, 02:00

An attendant gets the lift sling under me by rolling side to side on the bed. How do they remove it in a chair if you can't stand? Or are you forced to sit on it for the duration?

I am paralised from cheast down. The sling doesent take any effort removing while sat as the shape of it is designed to be full over your back, and a strap under each leg. So quite easy to put on in a chair and to remove.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby flagman1776 » 06 Dec 2020, 02:10

Thankyou Steve. A quick search shows me many sling shapes for every purpose. Of course. Knowing this is a huge help.
flagman1776

Postby Lord Chatterley » 06 Dec 2020, 19:09

A toiletting sling is different from an in-situ sling. Toiletting slings fit underneath your legs not your rear. You would probably be better off with the former.

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2020, 19:19

OTs and physios will work out what works best for you. And supply hoist, sling, etc. Well thats what happens here. You get to practice before going home. And wife or carers get shown how its done.

Remember that a good rehab powerchair with fancy gel/air cushions, and a rehab back like a jay3 or whatever you prefer, soft wide arm tops are at least as comfortable as your recliner. And can do many positions. And A lift so you can go up in the air to reach stuff... And also drive around...

You really SHOULD have aquired a cheap eBay one, say 3k. And configured and set it up to your requirements with an eye to the future and a electronic tie down for the van while it was all easy to do a year or two ago. I did suggest that but you didnt want to. But it was obvious that this was where you were headed. Now will be harder. Less time to deal with everything. But dont panic it will happen.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 06 Dec 2020, 22:21

Life is a continuous race of obstacles.
Diseases make that race harder.
It will take time for you to adjust, but you will.

11 years ago I walked with difficulty.
My body was capable of many things.
I just needed more time to realize it.
Today my body is not the shadow of what it was.

"God squeezes but does not hang"
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 06 Dec 2020, 23:57

Well there is no such thing as gods. But life does that. In the end, everyone goes out the same way. You gotta make the best of it while you can.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 07 Dec 2020, 00:12

martin007 wrote:"God squeezes but does not hang"

Burgerman wrote:Well there is no such thing as gods.

It's just an expression.
martin007

Postby Burgerman » 07 Dec 2020, 00:19

Yes. I know! But some think gods are real...

If he is real, he is a real evil bastard. Worse than any mafia boss.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 12 Dec 2020, 04:28

biscuit wrote:You are not going to be able to use a manual wheelchair. What are they on about.

That is a great question. When exiting my first rehab inpatient stay they tried to set me up with a manual chair. I had used a manual chair thru 4 or 5 weeks as an inpatient. Nice clean shiny hospital floors all level and no thresholds. I did master the outdoor ramp which when I look back was quite a feat. It took everything I had...how would you ever carry a package or open a door I'll never know. I asked about a power chair but they pretended not to hear me. And at the time I didn't know what I was arguing about so I didn't say much. But I didn't order the manual chair. I bought a cheap jazzy powerchair off ebay.

When I met the doctor at my second inpatient rehab I said one of my goals was to get a properly fitted power chair. I left rehab with the permobomb F3. It made a big positive difference.

Wishing the best for you Flag!
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 12 Dec 2020, 10:07

Manual chairs all need to go in the crusher. At least for anyone other than tempory use for the walking wounded.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby martin007 » 12 Dec 2020, 21:12

Many doctors lack empathy with people in wheelchairs.
Some think that a powerchair is a luxury product.
martin007

Postby flagman1776 » 27 Dec 2020, 07:58

Tested positive for CV19. Suddenly moved to covid unit. FORK ME!
flagman1776

Postby Lord Chatterley » 27 Dec 2020, 11:09

Relax - I had it at the beginning of November - one of the mildest colds I've had.
I had a light, dry, tickly cough for 48 hours followed by "it's a bit airless in here" for 2 days and then felt a bit weak [from the coughing, I assumed ] which really wasn't bad.
Everyone reacts differently it seems but for me I barely noticed it.

Best wishes!

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby Burgerman » 27 Dec 2020, 13:02

Not sure if I had it or not. Coughing for 5 days, felt like a bladder infection, hot, cold, thought I was dying. Then went away. About a month ago. Also theres another on here that has got it, but hasnt said on the forum. Only PM. So its definitely about!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby expresso » 27 Dec 2020, 17:51

that would be me - i got it a few weeks ago when it hit me on Dec. 11 - never felt that way before i got every everything except for the cough - fever chills hot cold - major headache - pain body aches - stuffy head nose throat - - i then felt a bit better on the 15th - talked to my doc. online - i started taking a Z pack on the 16th - felt better - i couldnt eat till a few days ago slowly - but no taste at all - stomach just dosnt want to eat alot at the moment - today will be soup -

not sure how i got it - maybe one of my girls gave it to me - or i been out once on Dec. 3 - who knows - i been out all summer and not worried about it much - now we have the vaccine - i cant wait to take it

i know the Z pack i took is not a cure and its not proven to do anything - but its better than nothing and it did help - i wouldnt worry about taking another round if i feel i need it -

right now i have my throat thats still annoying - texture on my tongue is not the same - and dry - my concern is my throat if i feel that getting worse - i take another Z pack -

my highest temp was 101.8 - up and down for a few weeks - higher at night in bed - my oxygen levels were always good - i kept checking

its good to know so you dont panic - if your numbers are good - your breathing and face is not blue - lips etc, you ride it out hopefully at home -

one of my girls has the feeling also she had it at the start also - her household had it - and feeling it again also now - very hard not to get exposed in my case and everyone really - unless you stay home alone for a year no one in or out period - and no one can do that.

dept. of health called me - they track and trace and follow up on people who are Pos. basically if you had it - you may be immune for a few months - 90 days - and can get it again - its like the flu - you can still get it twice - this vaccine is going to be a yearly thing from now on

i hope to get the vaccine by then -
expresso

Postby expresso » 27 Dec 2020, 17:59

i ordered a test kit online - arrived next day - i took the sample sent it back - got results in two days on the 24th

i knew i had it - but had to know for sure -
Attachments
covid.PNG
expresso

Return to Anything