Portable Personal Lift

If you want to say something that doesent fit anywhere else!
MAIN WEBSITE: http://www.wheelchairdriver.com

Portable Personal Lift

Postby Rye » 27 Feb 2021, 22:12

I'm doing some neglected in-home renovations and my wheelchair lift doesn't go high enough to hang paneling. Anyone know of a wheelchair or otherwise lift that will go up around 8ft and is rollable? Scaffolding lift. I've found a few possible solutions:

https://www.jlg.com/en/equipment/low-le ... l-portable

https://www.reechcraft.com/powerlift/

It has to be able to fit indoors and it'd be nice to not have to get out of it to move it over. I was looking at wheelchair elevators, but they are pretty bulky, but one would be handy to get on my second story deck for added storage.
Permobil C350/C300, Quickie P-222, Magic Mobility V6 Off-Road
Rye

Re: Portable Personal Lift

Postby Burgerman » 27 Feb 2021, 22:31

At your own risk. Add a second seating tilt/lift unit. Those are around 100 on eBay. I have thought about it. You better be damned sure its on a level ground though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNRISE-HAND ... SwK2xgKUsl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Invacare-bor ... SwVH1fmsBl

These are overpriced. I have see ones from 100 uk pounds at times. But you are braver than me! Will make the seat at its lowest 2 inches higher. So you might want to skip a thick cushion. And send you up 14 inches more! And dont try tilt! You will go about 90 degrees! :shock:
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 27 Feb 2021, 22:40

Burgerman wrote:But you are braver than me!

I once climbed on top of a large bulldozer just because I wanted to drive it. :shh: When I finally got to the seat, I realized there was no key. :(

I'm still not brave enough to add a second lift to my wheelchair though. Those things like to break frames with just one. A wheelchair elevator might be best and safest.
Rye

Postby Rye » 27 Feb 2021, 22:58

Rye

Postby Burgerman » 27 Feb 2021, 23:02

Somewhat hard to get into and out of a house though. Might be easier to get someone to do the work instead.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 28 Feb 2021, 01:49

Burgerman wrote:Somewhat hard to get into and out of a house though. Might be easier to get someone to do the work instead.

It'd be easier if someone else did everything I do. For the last several years I've raised around 100 acres of rice each year solo. I started out hiring and then I figured out what needed to be done to get in a tractor (CHEAPLY), then I only hired someone to hook up implements and do shovel work, then I figured out how to do shovel work and hook up implements myself. I don't know a single person that puts in the hours of work I do each day (warm season only). I don't work all winter. I've had people tell me it'd be easier if I'd hire someone to do all the work, but that defeats my purpose. I've found my goal in life and it's to figure out how I can do anything. The Internet makes the figuring part much simpler. The funny thing to me is that I have friends and family that are much stronger than me, but are much softer like most people in todays society. I'm not downing people that can't physically do what I am doing. I'm sad that I see so many unmotivated people that DESIRE having helpless minds.
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 28 Feb 2021, 11:12

Whilst admirable. There will be a time where a pressure sore that keeps you off your backside for much of a year or longer.Or something similar. And you will ot be able to continue. So be ver careful!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Rye » 28 Feb 2021, 15:59

The key for me is RoHo cushions. More specifically, the quadtro. Back when I was in college I had severe back pain, constant fatigue, and I couldn't wear jeans because it was painful and I didn't understand that my gel cushion wasn't allowing proper pressure relief. Once I started using a roho things got better. Also, working on the farm has alleviated all my pain, I got strong physically and mentally, I could wear jeans (which is important to help protect your skin from hazards around the farm), and most importantly was my motivation skyrocketed. I attribute my college back pain to sitting at my computer typing research papers for extended periods. I did get a pressure sore in college though. Right on my tailbone. Luckily I noticed it and was recommended a roho and never had an issue since. I think if we people in wheelchairs can get to a point where we can get our skin and rear end circulation healthy we can handle a lot more. Unfortunately many people don't get that education in the hospital or even rehab. I wasn't turned for the 8 days I was initially in the hospital and both of my heels were pretty much gone and I had a sore on my bottom. I had a motivated mom that helped me get over that. I know you're struggling with the same thing and I hate that anyone would have to go through a severe sore. I don't think you lack in motivation though. I admire what you've created. I'd still be helpless waiting for the tech to come figure out why my chair was in turtle again, if wasn't for your forum and the advice I've received here. Thanks and hope you get well soon. cheers

PS- I did fracture my leg once while working, but it's because I programmed my chair to stop instantly. I supermaned out of my chair and then had to sit on a mini ex building levees for the rest of the day with a burning calf muscle. Once I got to the ER the next day they told me it was a badly fractured fibula. They did nothing, but tell me to stay off of it. :lol:
Rye

Postby Burgerman » 28 Feb 2021, 18:13

Yes I agree with all. But I was super active till this sore problem. And I know about skin care, turning, cushions etc and it happens regardless. I have 3 at the moment on my bed! Hip, coxyxx (cant spell) and the usual "sitting bone" all left side. Turned every 4 to 6 hours, and pneumatic air bed etc.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 24 Jun 2022, 14:24

With bed sores do you guy's have to be careful about something called cellulitis I think? At Christmas I had a nasty burn on side of foot, cat jumped off bed and pulled boiling travel kettle off bedside table emptying contents onto my foot.

It was during covid and hopeless tying to get anyone in NHS to see to it. It was so swelled up and painful that I went to A&E but left after a couple hours sat waiting to come home and lie on bed. Keeping it elevated was only way to ease pain. In the end managed to get local nurse to see it and she called doctor and prescribed antibiotics, and re-dressed over subsequent weeks of healing. I got told off for using cling film and bog roll, but it was all I had.

Burn was okay until infection got into foot. So that's the point of this ramble. I expect you guys who have far more disability than me have to be so careful of infection when you get a SORE. Cos I imagine it's not the sore that kills you, it's the infection. I had to have two different courses of antibiotics cos first one struggle to clear infection. It gets worrying when infection can't be cleared, especially for you guys. I suppose as a last result they could always chop a foot off but you can't have your arse chopped off! butred (although the cellulitis had moved up into me ankle as well)

Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jun 2022, 19:28

All true.And I burned my foot as well. Its about healed now. 12 months later! And yes the NHS is a sad joke.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 27 Aug 2022, 08:25

Are you still bed-sore free at the moment BM? I know you had a torrid time of it a while back and had to spend months on bed, and you're still sane! (well just about.... :fencing)

How are the rest of you? I know that bed-sores are a big risk with paralysis.
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 27 Aug 2022, 08:54

I remain sore free. But thats maybe because I am up only 5 hours per day, and only every 2nd day. Gradually increasing up days... The multiple fixes seem to be working.

What I did. Apart from try everything for 5 years individually...

Now:
1. Plastic incontinence bed covers, and a single sheet mean you do not stay dry enough. Ever tried sunbathing on a blow up air bed? Sweat doesent evaporate. So I sleep on a thick exgf beach towel which is changed daily. On top of the sheet. That keeps you dry. I suspect that much of this sore thing is actually caused by a skin candida infection.

2. Soapy water, proper rinse at least twice a day. (candida infection protection)

3. Air bed (continually swaps inflated pockets). To promote blood circulation 24/7. So oxygenates tissues/skin/muscle cells.

4. Room temp at sensible cool level. And low RH level. As cool as I can actually cope with without being uncomfortable. 18C in my room. And 50 RH (dehumidifier all year). And to control this in summer my new Heat pump/air conditioning. This also control humidity and keeps it low which keeps me dry.

5. No more transfer board for as many transfers as possible. From bed to chair and the other way around I now use a sling and hoist. Very slow and frustrating but I think the board was causing small tears on the "sitting bones" on my backside.

6. Change to my worst nightmare ROHO cusion. Why? Because the worst part of them is board transfering, which I am no longer doing most of the time. So just the stability and constant pressure monitoring nusance to worry about. Why use them? Because they do offer by far the best actual pressure equalisation of all cushions. Meaning that the most imersed parts see the SAME pressure as the rest. Air pressure is the same everywhere in the cushion. And they give very low sheer forces. This combined with some seat dump reduces sheer to very low levels.
And this seems to be working well. Sheer reduction seems to be very important.

7. Only up 5 hours give or take a a time gradually increasing. To allow circulation and oxygenation. I intend increasing that and testing using a 2x 30 min tilt/recline/feet high with the salsa/Q700 chairs to see if that extends time allowed. And I think it will.

8. Diet. I know you need a lot of protein to prevent and heal sores. It helps cells heal and repair on the fly. Anything carbohydrate, suger, processed stuff, hurts this. As such I now only eat lean (non highly processed meats). Steak, chicken, turkey, occasional fish, prawns etc. I do not eat weeds. Real men dont eat salad. Never eat startch, carbohydrates. Seriously there are many athletes and others now on a 100% carnivoir diet. Including a few that are dietitions and doctors. You can get everything you need from this. And you will lose weight. And its definitely working for me. Been doing this for 20 years! But now I dont do processed stuff, like sausages, pies, etc. At least not often. Just quality meat. Yes its boring. But the promis of no sores, no heart desease, etc and better body performance and lower bowel output (I have an illeostomy) al helps!

Watch this:
Only takes a couple of mins.

youtu.be/fdcdtM1Fugo
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby greybeard » 27 Aug 2022, 12:25

Because I was very overweight the spinal surgeon refused to operate until I had lost four stone (25.4kgs). He recommended meat only and it only took 3 1/2 months to lose that weight. I felt great but I did find it a bit boring. What I missed most was roast potatoes!
Unfortunately I started eating "normally" again and the weight slowly went back on.

Now I've reduced, but not eliminated carbs and increased protein. It has taken over a year to almost get back to the pre-surgery weight. It shows plainly that meat only is the best and quickest way to reduce. The other general health benefits are pretty obvious.
greybeard

Return to Anything