Rear obstacle kit anyone?

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Rear obstacle kit anyone?

Postby jefferso » 17 Sep 2021, 15:24

I wonder if something could be adapted like curb feelers which were on large cars in the 50s and 60s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_feeler

Something sort of springy which sticks out behind the chair a bit, and would make a sound when it started to bend from being too close. Depending on the configuration of the chair it might be difficult to mount something useful.

I have my ventilator hanging from the back of my chair and it will usually touch a wall or something first before the chair itself does. Of course if it's a small table or something, the vent might knock it over anyway.
jefferso

Postby Jayde1976 » 17 Sep 2021, 19:40

I got a bluetooth camera on my chair and one on my car(car one goes through a seperate screen) but the one on my chair goes to my phone which has a phone mount on my left arm rest..handy in shops in case anyone right behind you
Jayde1976

Postby slomobile » 20 Sep 2021, 19:38

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/op ... -detection
This uses disparity, not active vision, meaning it needs motion (or other source of disparity between images) in order to work, but its simpler and cheaper than most stereo vision solutions. It should work as a rear obstacle kit,I think.
slomobile

Postby ex-Gooserider » 28 Sep 2021, 04:59

Definitely limited for weight bearing, but I have seen mounts for various things based on "modular hose" including catalogs w/ hardware to attach it to chairs or similar things in different ways... The hose comes in different diameters w/ the stiffness / load bearing ability increasing w/ size. It seems most of the catalog stuff I saw used the 3/4" size, and they had setups for at least small tablets as well as zombie-phones.

It essentially consists of hollow beads that snap together to form a tube, that is stiff due to the resistance between the bead joints, but can easily be bent to different positions and will stay where it is bent to as long as it isn't forced....

Probably the more common application is as coolant jet lines on machine tools, or chip suction in the larger sizes...

ex-Gooserider
T-5, ASIA-B
Jazzy 1100
Jazzy Select 6
Quickie Q-7
Invacare Mariner
Want to make / get a better chair, ideally one that stands.
ex-Gooserider

Postby slomobile » 14 Nov 2021, 21:09

20211114_133808-min.jpg
Banner Engineering Ultrabeam SU925QD-24

Used in old robot. Relay output, makes click when within set range to solid objects. Distance set by screwdriver, led lights when triggered. Weatherproof. 24v.
Found surplus for $50 but cables were couple hundred extra.
slomobile

Previous

Return to Everything Powerchair