Lithium Chargers

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: Lithium Chargers

Postby Arima » 17 Jan 2022, 19:02

I can't recommend the ISDT charger at this time. The software has been a big pain for me. Just getting it installed and maintaining a connection. It may work, but I get disappointed when it doesn't. Then it sits for a couple weeks till I get back to it.
Thxs
Arima

Postby fishinjunky » 17 Jan 2022, 19:19

Arima wrote:I can't recommend the ISDT charger at this time. The software has been a big pain for me. Just getting it installed and maintaining a connection. It may work, but I get disappointed when it doesn't. Then it sits for a couple weeks till I get back to it.

Good info I was wondering about the isdt software
Invacare tdx sp
Bounder 300M 200ah lifepo4
fishinjunky

Postby Wavedy2 » 17 Jan 2022, 20:03

Arima wrote:I can't recommend the ISDT charger at this time. The software has been a big pain for me. Just getting it installed and maintaining a connection. It may work, but I get disappointed when it doesn't. Then it sits for a couple weeks till I get back to it.

do you refer to the BT connection ?
I am not sure a BT connection is a huge point when choosing a charger. Like for selecting camera definition for a smartphone.

iSDT has very good charger, for exemple the small/big PL30, K4 and X16.
these are very very good charger even for 250, or more, amps cells.
they don't give you the option to setting up settings but for 99/100 of cases their own settings are fine, in my opinion.

however I prefer the 4010 duo and the X12 at first becaus of I need 10 cells charging

ciao !
Wavedy2

Postby steves1977uk » 17 Jan 2022, 21:14

Good info, but is the charger fully configurable from a PC with the software? This is a must for me since I'm unable to set up/configure a charger with my feet unless Melissa or my Mum or Brother helps me. Even then it can get confusing for them. :thumbdown: The PL8 needs to be remade again.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby expresso » 17 Jan 2022, 21:17

Has anyone had there PL 8 repaired with the guy after they closed shop ?

i recall some users were going to reach out to the repair guy

wonder how it went - if they did it - how much was charged etc,

if he is even repairing them at all - i know it was shared as he would - -
Quickie 636 - 230ah LifePo4
expresso

Postby Arima » 17 Jan 2022, 23:27

expresso - not sure about repair but I need to load the pl8 software onto another machine. Need to search around here I thought someone posted a copy or a link. The Revolectrix store linked stopped working if I remember.

steves1977uk wrote:

Good info, but is the charger fully configurable from a PC with the software? This is a must for me since I'm unable to set up/configure a charger with my feet unless Melissa or my Mum or Brother helps me. Even then it can get confusing for them. :thumbdown: The PL8 needs to be remade again.

Steve

I'd need the software up and running to know if it's fully configurable. Not counting on the PL8 to come back. How can we move forward with what we have?

Wavedy2 wrote:

they don't give you the option to setting up settings but for 99/100 of cases their own settings are fine, in my opinion.

Greetings. Is there another type of connection other than bt? I admit to be a novice when it comes to batteries and tech. It's failed me on Android and Windows but my effort was halfhearted. I'm not giving up on it having some purpose but I can't yet tell what the settings are. Do you have them? The documents all need translation too:( My energy is good today so I'll be messing around with things. Have you charged an out of balance pack? I believe you are correct that settings will be acceptable for 99/100 cases. What do you use 10 cells for? I've just assembled an 8s test pack and the PW30 didn't appear to balance as I thought.
Thxs
Arima

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 00:09

I use 10 cells on my helis, And 12S too. and my BM3 powerchair uses 13S. All by PL8. You just hook them together via 2 screws and link electronically and they are 16S capable. But for almost all powerchair uses we need 7S for lithium ion and 8S for lifepo4.

Are you still after the pl8 sofftware and latest firmware? If so I will repost. I also have a means of making presets without all the "traps" and rules that trip us up in other chargers. So if you need any presets for specific lifepof use mine not the built in nonsense ones!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 00:17

I am not sure a BT connection is a huge point when choosing a charger. Like for selecting camera definition for a smartphone.

He is refering to the easy way to configure and monitor your charger the PC software. Normally via USB. Most of us find it pretty much essential. Having used that to control, and configure the charger and monitor the charge graphs you would never do it any other way.

Right now I am charging a chair from my bed. Its in my kitchen. I configured the charge parameters, and the settings needed, and started the charge and am monitoring it from my laptop. Which is something I do almost daily, one chair or battery or hobby plane etc. I have 4 of these things and frequently charge stuff in other rooms or the opposite side of my bedroom. And do so from the laptop as I alway have that when in bed. I mean why wouldnt you? All that pressing buttons and trying to set all the parameters on the actual charger of much more frustrating and then you cant watch the graphs or change parameters or anything. BT is pretty much essential to me. Some of the other chargers are connected via USB instead on my desktop. The PC software once you try it is ALL you ever want! Unless at the local flying site, I almost never resort to button pushing and fiddleing about on a tiny screen/menu/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Arima » 18 Jan 2022, 01:15

Burgerman wrote:
Are you still after the pl8 sofftware and latest firmware? If so I will repost. I also have a means of making presets without all the "traps" and rules that trip us up in other chargers. So if you need any presets for specific lifepof use mine not the built in nonsense ones!

Found the software here: https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/board/ ... 85#p177731

Not sure I can digest any new info right now. My head always spins when I come here. I want to get more into presets but I still haven't chopped the end off my one and only pl8 balance cable. So I won't be testing more than 2s until I get an 8s cable.
Thxs
Arima

Postby fishinjunky » 18 Jan 2022, 13:56

Burgerman wrote:

He is refering to the easy way to configure and monitor your charger the PC software. Normally via USB. Most of us find it pretty much essential. Having used that to control, and configure the charger and monitor the charge graphs you would never do it any other way.

Right now I am charging a chair from my bed. Its in my kitchen. I configured the charge parameters, and the settings needed, and started the charge and am monitoring it from my laptop. Which is something I do almost daily, one chair or battery or hobby plane etc. I have 4 of these things and frequently charge stuff in other rooms or the opposite side of my bedroom. And do so from the laptop as I alway have that when in bed. I mean why wouldnt you? All that pressing buttons and trying to set all the parameters on the actual charger of much more frustrating and then you cant watch the graphs or change parameters or anything. BT is pretty much essential to me. Some of the other chargers are connected via USB instead on my desktop. The PC software once you try it is ALL you ever want! Unless at the local flying site, I almost never resort to button pushing and fiddleing about on a tiny screen/menu/

yea im a bit jealous. I didnt know you could control he pl8 in real time with the pc software. I dont know why i was thinking the settings could be adjusted via pc software but needed to be loaded into the pl8 then start an stop charge on the pl8 controls.
That would be HUGELY beneficial i would love to have that option. But sadly doesnt look like any of the companies making the chargers currently on the market are developing any pc software like with the pl8. And if they did wouldnt it take years for them to get everything well developed in the software?
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 18 Jan 2022, 14:02

steves1977uk wrote:

Steve

i agree i would buy up 4 units right away. Im sort of running into the same situation. I use a mouthstick to set my icharger up but i have to set it in my lap an the buttons are hard to push. So when charging if anything needs changed ill have to direct my mom or sisters on what to do which will be very interesting to say the least banghead
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 15:05

yea im a bit jealous. I didnt know you could control he pl8 in real time with the pc software. I dont know why i was thinking the settings could be adjusted via pc software but needed to be loaded into the pl8 then start an stop charge on the pl8 controls.
That would be HUGELY beneficial i would love to have that option. But sadly doesnt look like any of the companies making the chargers currently on the market are developing any pc software like with the pl8. And if they did wouldnt it take years for them to get everything well developed in the software?

Quite. That is why most of us want PL8S! So everything is controlled and monitored by laptop! And because after me fighting them for a few years we got all the options and settings and relaxed safety nazi settings, as well as special access to the settings that normal mortals dont have. And the electrical build quality is far less fragile than all the other makes. So that things like the order of connection or disconnection dont blow msfets or worse. It was designed to be intrinsically well input/output connection protected. Unlike the ichargers etc. But its dead jim. So we no longer have the choice! Fortunately I have 4 of those. Some hyperion 14S chargers, etc. All with PC control / monitor software.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 15:20

Hyperions. Unreliable. Had 5 only got 2 left working...
Attachments
3.6v.jpg
To test accuracy and balance node accuracy... Recently calibrated fluke hi end meter
6 (3).jpg
Hyperion control software. Not as good as pl8. But my chair is 13S so useful! These chargers are 14S.
700_2061.JPG
Only 4 here! The 5th is in my van. ALL are converted to BT for PC control.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 15:28

Hyperions were OK but only after talking to the developer and the boss for 3 years and about 16 updated test firmwares. Then they stopped making them for years so the only othr decent chargers with PC software was the PL8. And so another couple of years getting many firmware changes so that these too would work well for our purposes inc lead. As they were they were hopeless. Now great!
Attachments
810_1084.JPG
With chair charge cable. 8S.
810_1878.JPG
This can charge 24S
And everything from my 10 and 12S Helicopters, to my 13S powerchair. And my camera etc. Quadcopters, rc transmitters, and my mower.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 15:35

Perfect PC controlled setup.
Power supply, like everything is fitted with a Anderson 50. And I mean everything. Note drill... So I can use my inverters, chairs, mowers, electrc bed, van for charging or starting to or from a chair, and all my chargers and AC inverters and solar system inc solar battert and charger systems. All anderson 50.

Power supply is a Shirley supplied ZXD 0 to 50A, 0 to 60V adjustable industrial telecoms conversion. Super reliable and 3kw. Its also a programable 3 stage charger...
And a PC controlled PL8 charger. And my cheap multimeter! (I have this to lend to people that want to borrow a meter. So they dont get near my Fluke 289!

A perfect setup for charging powerchairs. This one is also BT capable so can be used remotely and controlled from my bed.
Attachments
810_2311.JPG
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wavedy2 » 18 Jan 2022, 18:08

Burgerman wrote:

Quite. That is why most of us want PL8S! So everything is controlled and monitored by laptop! And because after me fighting them for a few years we got all the options and settings and relaxed safety nazi settings, as well as special access to the settings that normal mortals dont have. And the electrical build quality is far less fragile than all the other makes. So that things like the order of connection or disconnection dont blow msfets or worse. It was designed to be intrinsically well input/output connection protected. Unlike the ichargers etc. But its dead jim. So we no longer have the choice! Fortunately I have 4 of those. Some hyperion 14S chargers, etc. All with PC control / monitor software.

that is very strange. i thought i'll find here experts ...
why do you saying that ?
for sure it's possible to manage 4010 via PC. to manage/setup/start up/stop
why do you say only the PL8 could do that ? i really don't understand your mind
Attachments
Data Explorer 4010.png
Wavedy2

Postby fishinjunky » 18 Jan 2022, 19:58

Wavedy2 wrote:
Burgerman wrote:

that is very strange. i thought i'll find here experts ...
why do you saying that ?
for sure it's possible to manage 4010 via PC. to manage/setup/start up/stop
why do you say only the PL8 could do that ? i really don't understand your mind

Where did you download the software and how is your pc connected to the iCharger. USB?
Could you go into more detail on pc control?
Thank you

There are many very intelligent experts here ( I'm not one of them );but the iCharger is new to most people here for this application. But that's what it's all about learning from each other :thumbup:
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby fishinjunky » 18 Jan 2022, 20:06

Burgerman wrote:Perfect PC controlled setup.
Power supply, like everything is fitted with a Anderson 50. And I mean everything. Note drill... So I can use my inverters, chairs, mowers, electrc bed, van for charging or starting to or from a chair, and all my chargers and AC inverters and solar system inc solar battert and charger systems. All anderson 50.

Power supply is a Shirley supplied ZXD 0 to 50A, 0 to 60V adjustable industrial telecoms conversion. Super reliable and 3kw. Its also a programable 3 stage charger...
And a PC controlled PL8 charger. And my cheap multimeter! (I have this to lend to people that want to borrow a meter. So they dont get near my Fluke 289!

A perfect setup for charging powerchairs. This one is also BT capable so can be used remotely and controlled from my bed.

I'll be getting a shirley psu if the iCharger does OK.
Now you got me Andersoning everything. They are great and easy to connect/disconnect especially with the handles you can attach no accidently pulling wires. Also I've not seen any complaints on them getting hot.

The fluke very nice you pay for fine accuracy but great for calibration ect. Definitely a tool to pamper
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Wavedy2 » 18 Jan 2022, 20:14

fishinjunky wrote:;but the iCharger is new to most people here for this application. But that's what it's all about learning from each other :thumbup:

4010 new ?????
around 10 years old ...

the problemo is, "nobody" during a decade wants to look an other charger than the PL8
now PL8 is over and everybody is lost
while alternative chargers are available for a long time

Ciao !
Wavedy2

Postby fishinjunky » 18 Jan 2022, 20:56

Wavedy2 wrote:
fishinjunky wrote:;but the iCharger is new to most people here for this application. But that's what it's all about learning from each other :thumbup:

4010 new ?????
around 10 years old ...

the problemo is, "nobody" during a decade wants to look an other charger than the PL8

Ciao !

Could you tell me where you downloaded the software for pc control? And is it connected usb?

Thanks
Invacare tdx sp
fishinjunky

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 21:33

Last time I looked the software was somewhat basic and looked a bit like it was just started. But that was a long time ago. I didnt want to have to start all over again with a less reliable charger fighting the manufacturer to get them to correct all the firmware. For e.g. you cant set a termination current manually as we need, without that changing every time we charge at a different rate! Its set as a percentage of charge current. Which is how many hobby chargers are set. But thats rediculous... Decide to charge at a slower rate for less fan noise and then the terination current drops. Possibly to the point it will never end. So you then have to do a load of mental gymnastics and go change the percentage too. And a few other weird things.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 21:38

And yes I know PL8 now dead. So I have been saying for a long time I need to get a icharger and check out what is in there to trip us up and properly evaluate. But their software and the reliability issues that I see at my hobby club always puts me off spending £££££ When I have 4 good PL8s and a spare one on my shelf!
?

Where can I look at its newest software
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wavedy2 » 18 Jan 2022, 21:46

fishinjunky wrote:
Wavedy2 wrote:

4010 new ?????
around 10 years old ...

Ciao !

Could you tell me where you downloaded the software for pc control? And is it connected usb?

Thanks

here: https://www.nongnu.org/dataexplorer/download.html
Wavedy2

Postby Wavedy2 » 18 Jan 2022, 21:52

Burgerman wrote:Last time I looked the software was somewhat basic and looked a bit like it was just started. But that was a long time ago. I didnt want to have to start all over again with a less reliable charger fighting the manufacturer to get them to correct all the firmware. For e.g. you cant set a termination current manually as we need, without that changing every time we charge at a different rate! Its set as a percentage of charge current. Which is how many hobby chargers are set. But thats rediculous... Decide to charge at a slower rate for less fan noise and then the terination current drops. Possibly to the point it will never end. So you then have to do a load of mental gymnastics and go change the percentage too. And a few other weird things.

believe me, as I'm working with iCHarger since a while, 10 years, they are strong, stronger than PL8 wich I know well too
iCharger is still alive not Revol .....
Wavedy2

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 21:55

It gave me an unsafe file security warning. I have no antivirus running. So I started it up, and virus checked it and now it says it ants some insecure antique java version 1.8 installing... Not looking promising! Because I can only find version 8 and that has no eecutable file so I am at a loss. This is why I said it looks like they just started.

So what am I doing wrong?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 21:58

And I have been using hobby chargers and many types of lithium for a hell of a lot longer than a decade! At least double that. So what?

My club member mostly use ichargers. They smoke up at regular intervals. And the PL8 doesent as it has much better designed protection. And software that works. I will try again because I really would like a charger that is an alternative if only for other people. But I am not convinced yet. Its a 2nd best.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 22:03

After jumping throgh hoops I still cant find this java 1.8 runtime enviroment. So it wont work. Trying to get the latest version wants me to sign in to my "oracle account"! So again. How/where to download a version that works?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wavedy2 » 18 Jan 2022, 22:08

fishinjunky wrote:
Wavedy2 wrote:

4010 new ?????
around 10 years old ...

Ciao !

Thanks

not possibile to send you the .exe file; too eavy
here it's name: DataExplorer_Setup_3.5.2_win64.exe

buenanotte
Wavedy2

Postby Burgerman » 18 Jan 2022, 22:09

I think it needs some other browser and doesent run on firefox... Marvelous! I am not installing other junk like googles spy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Wavedy2 » 18 Jan 2022, 22:15

working with:
Windows
DataExplorer_Setup_3.5.2_win64.exe - signature file
DataExplorer_Setup_3.5.2_win32.exe - signature file
Supported are Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10.

MacOS Operating system logo Mac OS X
DataExplorer-3.5.2_Mac_64.dmg - signature file
Requires Mac OS X 10.4 (requires Cocoa) and Java 1.8.+ (JDK/JSE). Please do not use Java 1.9.
Use 32 Bit version only on a 32 Bit MAC OS running on Power processor and download here.

GNU/Linux Operating system logo Linux
dataexplorer-3.5.2-bin_GNULinux_x86_64.tar.gz - signature file
dataexplorer-3.5.2-bin_GNULinux_x86_32.tar.gz - signature file
dataexplorer-3.5.2-bin_RaspbianLinux_ARM_32.tar.gz - Signaturdatei
Attention! There are Linux system without GTK3 installed. To enable DataExplorer execution insert line "export SWT_GTK3=0" into start script before line with "java ..." or install "libswt-gtk-3-java".
Related to the USB2Serial adapter support GNU/Linux with kernel 2.4 or newer is required.

up to you if you prefer staying stuck with PL8/Firefox
others will want to go forward

ciao !
Wavedy2

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair