DIY Van/Wav Hybrid?

Adapted Vehicles.

VEHICLE MENU: www.wheelchairdriver.com/accessible-vehicles.htm

DIY Van/Wav Hybrid?

Postby Scooterman » 29 May 2022, 15:21

Take for example this small van
youtu.be/BO19zfGqAcs
FOUR of the big name manufacturers badge their own version of the van with varying levels of trim and goodies but all four vans are basically the same. (common platform)

Rear doors are easier than a tailgate to manually and open and close (from the outside) when sat in a wheelchair.

How feasible do you think it would be to automate a basic fold-down wheelchair ramp such as this
youtu.be/5SazxwPvGzE. I thinking along the lines of aftermarket 12 volt actuators, similar to actuators used for electric gates and power chair lift/tilt mechanism?

And also fit actuators to remote close rear doors.

Then the remove rear bulkhead behind front seats and replace with DIY bullhead only behind drivers seat.

Remove front passenger seat and install some form of anchorage fitted to floor for power chair.

Idea is to open doors manually or remotely from outside, deploy electrified rear ramp remotely, drive up and next to drivers seat. Then using wooden transfer board perform a manoeuvre any contortionist would be proud of, and transfer across to drivers seat?

Repeat process in reverse to exit vehicle

A stupid idea, or does it have promise?

NB: Have push/pull brake accelerator professionally fitted. Might as well as need to have professionally fitted adaption to qualify for VAT exemption.
Scooterman

Re: DIY Van/Wav Hybrid?

Postby foghornleghorn » 29 May 2022, 16:13

Unless you are a midget or have no head there is no way you are going to fit inside a standard small van. A big part of what makes a wheelchair van is the floor being chopped out and lowered.
foghornleghorn

Postby Scooterman » 29 May 2022, 18:57

foghornleghorn wrote:Unless you are a midget or have no head there is no way you are going to fit inside a standard small van. A big part of what makes a wheelchair van is the floor being chopped out and lowered.

Hmmmm, but that's what makes them expensive, and a smaller fuel tank I've heard?

Changing the subject a bit, I was travelling in my chair in the back of a WAV taxi the other day. (Train replacement service, I'm too tight to pay for a taxi out my own money). Anyhow this WAV taxi had a sloping floor and my power chair which has a rear weight bias and 10 degrees of fixed seat tilt. And every time the taxi pulled away my chair would tip over backwards, it was bloody annoying.
Scooterman

Postby foghornleghorn » 29 May 2022, 19:23

Scooterman wrote:Anyhow this WAV taxi had a sloping floor and my power chair which has a rear weight bias and 10 degrees of fixed seat tilt. And every time the taxi pulled away my chair would tip over backwards, it was bloody annoying.

Driver is supposed to tie down the chair so you don't have that happen, and also your wheelchair doesn't go through the windscreen if the van stops suddenly.

Two straps attach to the floor at the back and have clips for the tie down points on the chair.

At the front of the chair you use the clips on the winch.
foghornleghorn

Postby Burgerman » 29 May 2022, 23:08

Hmmmm, but that's what makes them expensive, and a smaller fuel tank I've heard?

Lowered floor means chopping the old card floor out modifying practically everything, and then getting it destroyed to certify safety. And its all essential. So yes expensive. https://www.wheelchairdriver.com/images ... -roadshow/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 30 May 2022, 12:28

Hmmm, very nice.

I expect they hold their value, partly due to long build time.

My thinking was wondering if a useable vehicle could be done on the cheap?
Scooterman

Postby steves1977uk » 30 May 2022, 12:46

https://www.wavsgb.com/ Not exactly cheap, but are properly converted and serviced.

Steve
steves1977uk

Postby foghornleghorn » 30 May 2022, 19:22

Prices on all vehicles have gone nuts recently. Ordering something brand new leads to delivery in many months so used vehicles have become desirable as you can have it straight away.

Looking at what is currently for sale around the country my Peugeot Partner WAV is worth more now than I paid for it used 3 years ago czy

Not sure you will save much money by bodging up a van either. The Amazon effect, where loads of people are delivering parcels in their own small van now, has made used van prices go silly too.
foghornleghorn

Postby Scooterman » 31 May 2022, 10:36

steves1977uk wrote:https://www.wavsgb.com/ Not exactly cheap, but are properly converted and serviced.

Steve

Cheers for the link Steve, I shall make a coffee and have a gander :thumbup:

foghornleghorn wrote:Prices on all vehicles have gone nuts recently. Ordering something brand new leads to delivery in many months so used vehicles have become desirable as you can have it straight away.

Looking at what is currently for sale around the country my Peugeot Partner WAV is worth more now than I paid for it used 3 years ago czy

Not sure you will save much money by bodging up a van either. The Amazon effect, where loads of people are delivering parcels in their own small van now, has made used van prices go silly too.

They're all good points. Perhaps I'll stick with buses & trains, and me large mob scooter which good for spring/summer local trips of say 1-5 miles. And I probably wouldn't get enough use out of WAV to make it worthwhile.

A small van with manual fold down ramp would be fine for the spring/summer as I can manage to hobble and stand with crutches enough to drive power chair up and down ramp with detachable joystick on long r-net cable.

Trouble is I couldn't/wouldn't want to be doing it in the winter with the rain pouring down and wind howling, I'd get blown over! :ambulance. So the only sensible/usable all year round option would be a drive from wheelchair WAV. Or an easy way to get across from WC to drivers seat, which as you say unless you're a midget forget it, it's not feasible.
Scooterman

Postby Scooterman » 19 Jun 2022, 09:19

Something like this as an EXAMPLE would probably be the most sensible option, although not cheap! But it would have to have a powered tailgate and ramp.

By sliding the drivers seat to it's rearmost position, there might be enough room to transfer across to drivers seat (I'm stick thin)

https://sirusautomotive.co.uk/upfront-passenger/
Attachments
8764-Edge3182-1600px.jpg
VW-Caddy-STRAIGHT-BLUE-Back-1600px-1-e1571147654343.jpg
Scooterman

Postby Burgerman » 19 Jun 2022, 12:34

Tried that and the transit connect versions. Not enough room for a proper wheelchair and even with extended steer wheel etc you cant sensibly get square on and drive and the wheel is too low.

All these car derived small van conversions are terrible to use compared to a US style conversion like the rollx, or a WV caravelle colarado, (all the other VW conversions do not have a properly lowered floor and inadequate headroom etc). Trust me I have examined them all and bought a few.

The only ones that make any sense at all are the VW Caravelle Colarado DRIVE FROM conversion, https://www.gmmobility.co.uk/private-pu ... r-colorado

and the US minivan lowered floor conversions be they the Honda, Toyota or Chrysler one.

E.G. Rollx https://www.rollxvans.com/
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Scooterman » 19 Jun 2022, 13:02

Burgerman wrote:Tried that and the transit connect versions. Not enough room for a proper wheelchair and even with extended steer wheel etc you cant sensibly get square on and drive and the wheel is too low.

All these car derived small van conversions are terrible to use compared to a US style conversion like the rollx, or a WV caravelle colarado, (all the other VW conversions do not have a properly lowered floor and inadequate headroom etc). Trust me I have examined them all and bought a few.

The only ones that make any sense at all are the VW Caravelle Colarado DRIVE FROM conversion, https://www.gmmobility.co.uk/private-pu ... r-colorado

and the US minivan lowered floor conversions be they the Honda, Toyota or Chrysler one.

E.G. Rollx https://www.rollxvans.com/

Thanks BM I'll defer to your superior knowledge and experience. Buying the wrong vehicle would be an expensive mistake. And anyway with all this 'green' tyranny I wouldn't risk buying anything with a combustion engine. Or investing a LOT of money into any type of WAV vehicle. If I did I would hope to be able to keep using it for 20 years to make it financially viable.
I'll probably just stick me scooter and powerchair for local trips and public transport for longer ones.

BTW Rover delivered me Jive R2 on Friday. I'm super pleased with it :dance . I'll post some piccies of it in the garden when we get a bit of sun. It's 120A r-net, 4-pole 6mph, tilt (no lift). It's even got an LCD joystick which says 700m on the display. I don't know whether the M stands for miles, and if so whether that's the miles from new, or from when it was last serviced?
Scooterman

Postby slomobile » 20 Jul 2022, 01:21

rampOut.png
Rear Ramp
rampOut.png (256.28 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

RearInterior.png
Rear interior
RearInterior.png (198.37 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

That is my new (used) van. Ram Promaster 2500 high roof 159" wb. Former commercial medical transport. ADA compliant when rear kneeling, ramp slope still ok when suspension at stock height, but a bit more nervous going up and wheels can slide going down if you let the brakes click.
https://www.amf-bruns-behindertenfahrze ... eurorampe/
The "Euro Rampe" is manual and I'd like to motorize it.
Same with rear doors.

I've been told by a commercial sales rep and engineer for Mobility Works that aftermarket door closers and kits for motorizing manual ramps are a very common request among customers that remains unfulfilled. There is a market for them. He suggested repurposing commercial door openers used in buildings.

I'm happy to hear your ideas, try them out if I can, and report back.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 20 Jul 2022, 01:37

If it were me I would find a used ricon clearway lift or similar. That ramp looks like hard work and very long.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 20 Jul 2022, 16:54

youtu.be/nvwF4PuWnts
Is that what you are looking for?
slomobile

Postby slomobile » 23 Jul 2022, 21:04

foghornleghorn wrote:
Scooterman wrote:Anyhow this WAV taxi had a sloping floor and my power chair which has a rear weight bias and 10 degrees of fixed seat tilt. And every time the taxi pulled away my chair would tip over backwards, it was bloody annoying.

Driver is supposed to tie down the chair so you don't have that happen, and also your wheelchair doesn't go through the windscreen if the van stops suddenly.

Two straps attach to the floor at the back and have clips for the tie down points on the chair.

At the front of the chair you use the clips on the winch.

This is a failing of most wheelchair transport vehicles, including buses. They require an able bodied person spry enough to reach the floor and dedicate 2 hands to securing each restraint. The design just assumes one will always be available.
That is not the case if the wheelchair user is transferring into the conventional driver seat.
It is also not the case when the driver/carer is elderly or infirm themselves. Stooping to secure 4 restraints can take a toll on the carer.
Even if the driver/carer is fully capable, the extra time and effort required is annoying. That often results in omitting one or more necessary securement points.

The winch is a step forward as it can secure the 2 front points with a single motion if done properly. Obviously it isn't always done properly.
Another issue, removal and replacement of the rear restraints to allow a clear path for the chair to pass. We can do better.

The systems to secure 4 caster stretchers, as in ambulances and NEMT(Non Emergency Medical Transport), are much simpler to use. The front casters are captured automatically when the stretcher is wheeled in. A structure shaped like falopian tubes guides the stretcher into a set of horizontal hooks which prevent the front casters from moving up, forward, or sideways. A single hook at the rear is normally out of the way. Once the front casters are captured into the hooks, the rear hook is swung into position, and clamped onto a stretcher frame tube. The entire stretcher is now locked in place, attached to the floor of vehicle with one smooth motion. It does not require anything like an EZ Lock bolt which lowers ground clearance.

I think it can be a model to build wheelchair securement completely operated by the seated wheelchair user. It would also be much easier for driver/carers to operate correctly.

Accommodating existing chairs would require a vehicle system that
A) can be tailored to a chair's front caster separation and height. Front drive wheels are also accommodated by this system.
B) has a configurable distance between front casters and rear clamp.
C) has a hard point on the chair which can be interfaced with the rear clamping hook.

Future chairs could be built to a standard front caster separation and height, and rear hard point, which matches existing stretcher systems.
That would allow any vehicle configured to transport stretchers(ambulances) to also transport wheelchairs with a portable ramp. It would also potentially allow rear ramp WAVs to transport people in stretchers provided the vehicle is long enough, or the stretcher is short enough.

I think intercompatible transport systems would be better for everyone involved, especially the person in an emergency trying to find appropriate transport.

My van has a Stryker branded stretcher securement system. I don't have a Stryker stretcher, but will be looking for a used one to experiment with. I don't know how much variation there is between other brands of stretcher.

Re: used ricon clearway lift instead of ramp.
That would not permit my new side hustle. Transporting motorcycles for hire in my van.
slomobile

Postby slomobile » 23 Jul 2022, 22:21

Any idea what this system is?
https://youtu.be/wJPlBoAK96A?t=2270
Starting at 37:50
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 02 Sep 2022, 22:29

No. But it wont work on any of my chairs.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 25 Sep 2022, 05:12

https://carolinaautomotivedesignsolutio ... ramp/#more

Thats pretty cool. The swinging barn doors in back are replaced by a rear ramp that makes up the entire back door. The hoist is too slow and the latches are wrong. But they are on their way to a hell of a solution.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2022, 10:32

We have vans and box trailers like that here already. My mobile dynamometer used one. But like that one on your link they have 3 problems.

1. Much too long. Making parking and access very difficult. And the whole vehicle too big/high/long too.
2. Too steep for many chairs.
3. Cant drive from wheelchair.

Dynamometer (inertial chassis) trailer.
Before I became injured. Water cooled GSXR 750 about to be tortured. It made 115bhp for what its worth. Working for PB magazine in 96.
Attachments
th-2454385186.jpg
th-2454385186.jpg (33.57 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 25 Sep 2022, 16:52

Are there any Ducato vans over there with the combined ramp/rear door? Pics please. Or any other vehicles sharing the Ram Promaster body. This is the first US version I've seen. I've already bought the van so changing the size aint going to happen. I need the extra space inside. My suspension kneels, and the floor to ceiling height is less than my current ramp length. I'd like to make it a bifold ramp with the new shorter section on the exterior so I don't hear it rattle and just long enough so that it can also be 'half deployed' to serve as 'table legs' to support the rest of the platform level as a work surface. I don't see why it couldn't be driven from wheelchair. I'm working on a drivers 'seat' that is shaped more like a motorcycle mockup so that I can drive laying somewhat prone. My feet work, so I'd add rear set foot controls, but I don't see whe it couldn't be driven with hand controls.

If you have any interest in what follows, copy it into a new thread and lets hear your thoughts on that. I love that my van can haul bikes. It'd be nice to have a ramp wide enough to load a trike.

I'm lovin that dyno setup. I have similar CRT monitor and dot matrix printer in my garage but missing the main attractions. My Guzzi is still waiting to be transformed into something I can ride again. Have you tried to adapt any bikes to your condition?

I'd like to lie on the tank like a drag bike. Remove the rear wheel, fender, and tail for access to climb on it from the back. Add a low solid beam and uprights between 2 rear wheels. CV axles with diff pinion centered and bolted in the swingarm where the rear wheel used to be. The diff attaches to the beam by a bearing around the pinion housing and another in the diff cover. The rear wheels are unsprung, the bike can still lean (at pinion height rather than road height, so trail calculations are different), engine torque is isolated from the lean, original central suspension is unaltered. Geometry is changed as minimally as possible for a trike conversion, I think. I don't see why this couldn't be done to any bike.

Computer controlled clutch and air shifter ought to be possible these days. Pneumatic righting that is completely passive until a stop is detected. Compressed air supplied by turbo maybe?
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2022, 17:18

Are there any Ducato vans over there with the combined ramp/rear door? Pics please. Or any other vehicles sharing the Ram Promaster body. This is the first US version I've seen. I've already bought the van so changing the size aint going to happen. I need the extra space inside. My suspension kneels, and the floor to ceiling height is less than my current ramp length. I'd like to make it a bifold ramp with the new shorter section on the exterior so I don't hear it rattle and just long enough so that it can also be 'half deployed' to serve as 'table legs' to support the rest of the platform level as a work surface. I don't see why it couldn't be driven from wheelchair. I'm working on a drivers 'seat' that is shaped more like a motorcycle mockup so that I can drive laying somewhat prone. My feet work, so I'd add rear set foot controls, but I don't see whe it couldn't be driven with hand controls.

Lying prone? I have no experience of that setup. But mostly the issue is that all the vans have a higher floor at the drivers position. So that needs lowering and ther are engine/gearbox parts in the way. Or you dont have the depth between steering wheel and knees SAT in a chair. Your situation is different. These doors are custom aftermarket setups. There are many companies doing custom work. These companies do all sorts of modified bodies and chassis cab conversions for work purposes.

I'm lovin that dyno setup. I have similar CRT monitor and dot matrix printer in my garage but missing the main attractions. My Guzzi is still waiting to be transformed into something I can ride again. Have you tried to adapt any bikes to your condition?

The cathode tube monitor, and dot matrix was because this was the 90s...
I wouldnt use those today!

I'd like to lie on the tank like a drag bike. Remove the rear wheel, fender, and tail for access to climb on it from the back. Add a low solid beam and uprights between 2 rear wheels. CV axles with diff pinion centered and bolted in the swingarm where the rear wheel used to be. The diff attaches to the beam by a bearing around the pinion housing and another in the diff cover. The rear wheels are unsprung, the bike can still lean (at pinion height rather than road height, so trail calculations are different), engine torque is isolated from the lean, original central suspension is unaltered. Geometry is changed as minimally as possible for a trike conversion, I think. I don't see why this couldn't be done to any bike.

Computer controlled clutch and air shifter ought to be possible these days. Pneumatic righting that is completely passive until a stop is detected. Compressed air supplied by turbo maybe?

Most bike turbos only boost above around 6k rpm. By which time you are accelerating as if you are a et fighter on the runway. So maybe not a turbo bleed off. But a Nitrous system, with a tap off the gaseous side of the bottle and a regulator set to 50 to 150 psi would work. Or C02. Since you only need the gas, it would last a long time.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 25 Sep 2022, 18:28

Or nitrogen, or dry air. Something like this www.amazon.com/IMAYCC-Compressor-Quick- ... 092DJVL3Z/ to fill up bottles at home. 2 bottles on the bike with automatic changeover and a persistent dash warning light whenever either tank is low.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2022, 18:43

Compressor. 18 mins to fill half a litre! That would be way way too slow. You will need 20 of them.
Nitrogen wouldnt last long because like air it can only be compressed. CO2 or Nitrous Oxide is stored as a liquid and held that way at ambient temperature by its own vapour pressure. Much like the transparrent gas lighters you use. So you have the vapour replenished as its used. From the liquid. That means it lasts a lot longer! And you have around 760psi to work with for the complete bottle as long as any liquid remains. And you will likely need 150psi after regulation or so to make it work fast enough.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby slomobile » 26 Sep 2022, 21:35

I forgot about the extra height needed to fit legs under steering wheel in a wheelchair.
I'm not sure its enough, but the Promaster steering can be relocated up about an inch by bolting in a spacer or stack of washers. It is a somewhat flat angle bus driver type of wheel.
The drivers floor slopes to the rear and the extremely wide battery is right under where front casters would go. It might be possible to use a normal sized battery and make a new cover with recessed pockets for front casters.

If anyone needs measurements just ask.
slomobile

Postby Burgerman » 27 Sep 2022, 04:27

Generally you need around 10 to 11 inches. Which is why most minivans have 11 inch floor drop. Or 14 in some as a specal order. Thats too much for normal powerchairs. Thats why they cost so much...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby eizbear » 17 Sep 2023, 08:05

Old post, but got curious to know if you have ever used an automated wheelchair lock - and if so, what are your thoughts about them?
We had it in our first van and it was kinda nice. Much faster in and outs for my son, but it was a real pain in the ass when you used the car for “other stuff”.
Attachments
IMG_4566.jpeg
eizbear

Postby Burgerman » 17 Sep 2023, 08:49

Not if its in the driving position!
Although in yur case that isnt an option.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Adapted Cars Vans MPV's