Handicare Puma 40

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Handicare Puma 40

Postby Step » 12 Jan 2012, 12:03

I just saw Handicare's new Puma 40 outdoor/indoor chair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr9TrOr8sK0
The video doesn't do it justice but I still have to see a mobility add that is actually appealing to anyone under 73.

I have a Handicare Alex (branded You-Q here) and apart from the fact that it can't be fitted with the large lawn mower tires, it's one of the few chairs I think is capable of coming close to BM-style requirements. BMI that is, which was already much better than most, if not all standard chairs.

So does this Puma 40.
rearwheel drive, It only takes 4 bolts to move the centre of gravity rearward, central footrest in option (rectangular board, easy to cut to fit your shoes), 74ah batteries, 120Amp R-Net controller, black tires.

For those looking for a new chair to do some minor changes on that will improve its' behaviour but not affect the warranty, this is a reasonable candidate I think.
I did it with my Alex and am pretty happy with how it behaves indoor & outdoor now.

I know the F55 is still available in the UK but even for the small changes like C of G and central footrest, it requires using parts that are not in the F55's parts list and there's dealers that are reluctant to support that.
Step

Re: Handicare Puma 40

Postby ianduncanberry » 29 May 2012, 21:43

I have been looking at one of these, has anyone tried one? If so what controller would you recommend I believe you have a choice of six:

1 Shark
2 DX REM 421-420
3 DX REM 550
4 VR2
5 R-net Entry level
6 R-net

I would be looking at the 74AH batteries.
ianduncanberry

Postby Burgerman » 29 May 2012, 22:20

R-net 120. Or number 6. All the rest are "weak" and frankly cheap...
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 29 May 2012, 22:39

The R-NET options as well as some of the cheaper options are detailed here:

http://www.pgdt.co.uk

And theres lots of info. The most important of which is that the 120Amp R-net is the most powerful. It can get you up curbs, keep accurate control etc better than the rest given some decent motors to work with. It will also of course need programming correctly, requiring OEM access, if you are to get the best from it and have a truly controllable chair. So you might like to see which systems you can get a true OEM programmer for.

VR2 for eg is easy... Its a bit of software thats easy to find around here, and a lead that woodygb can help you with. But it lacks power.
The others are more difficult since they wont sell you what you need.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Step » 31 May 2012, 11:50

option 6. definitely.
Step

Postby ianduncanberry » 31 May 2012, 17:17

Thank you.

I have now ordered the chair, am told about 6 weeks delivery.

I took your advice got the R-net controller, 74AH batteries and high torque motors, 10" front casters and 14" rear wheels.

I'm told an engineer will call when the chair is delivered to make any mechanical adjustments and also re-program the controller if I wish.
The chair is ONLY for outside use, traveling to and from the pub, restaurants etc. No fields, sand or rough terrain, just pavements and cycle paths.

Can you recommend any values of controller options that I should look at, and should I have the seat moved as far back over the rear wheels as possible?
ianduncanberry

Postby Burgerman » 31 May 2012, 17:35

The engineer will almost definitely not be able to make the adjustments you really need. And if he can he probably wont want to do so. He will want to reduce the delays instead of setting them to 100...

But if you remove all the turn acc, turn dec, at the high and low speed ends of the spectrum, set forward acceleration to max, and turn rates at max and min speeds to whatever suits you best, and reverse speed to a sensible level that should just about do it. The thing is it takes weeks or more to really fine tune and get it right so its as good as can be.

So even if he has an OEM capable programmer (and he wont likely have one), you cant really just just guess and call it a day in a few minutes anyway. Ideally you need to obtain one for your own use. Or borrow or use one via a member of this forum.

Take a read of my programming page carefully and learn what each setting does.

Move seat rearward to taste. Only you can decide what works best for you.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Lord Chatterley » 31 May 2012, 19:45

I hate these 'lifestyle' adverts that give bugger all information about the stuff they are hawking - especially when there isn't even any video to help you try to figure out what the non-existent stats might have revealed.

LC
Lord Chatterley

Postby malamar » 29 Jun 2012, 21:38

dig the look of those Puma 40 motors with cooling body ribs....somebody knows how to find more about??

Cheers
malamar

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2012, 22:30

Those ribs add practically no extra surface area. They look good, but in reality cant do very much if anything. Doubt it would actually be measurable.

If they had fine fins like a car radiator to give a lot of area, and some fans like a PC then they would achieve some cooling.

Thats why I have 2 PC water coolers here, And radiators. Designed to remove 180 watts of heat from a PCc CPU. They are going on my BM3 motors to add a few watts to the motors. More power and less heat.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 29 Jun 2012, 22:40

[quote]PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed km/h mph 6 / 10 3.7 / 6.2
Range (ISO 7176-4), 6 km/h km miles 36 (74 Ah) 22.4 (74 Ah)
Range (ISO 7176-4), 10 km/h km miles 27 (74 Ah) 16.8 (74 Ah) [quote]

At least they are honest about taller gearing giving markedly less range! Most manufacturers just pick a number and use it for all!
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby malamar » 30 Jun 2012, 11:55

or fins like a go-kart or motocross motor head...wroummm... ;)
malamar

Postby malamar » 30 Jun 2012, 19:36

I like things obliged to work every time, like the sophiticated mechanism o a spoon, say, give or take some point in efficiency....
malamar

Postby Step » 21 Aug 2012, 13:07

@ ianduncanberry

Did you get the chair?
How is it?
Did you do any customizations to it?

I planned on using my powerchair part-time and using my manual when at home at first as well...
Got in the powerchair and used the manual twice since...
I love the new mobility.
Step

Postby Burgerman » 21 Aug 2012, 18:57

Mines in the garage. 2 of them. Both expensive. Untouched since I realised what a complete waste of time, life, and effort the damned things are. Physios and OTs that convince us that we are Paraplegic and "dont need" powerchairs, are dumb. And they are in every spinal injury unit accross the planet brainwashing both each other and all the poor bastards they deal with.

These people then go on to a highly restricted and difficult life "knowing" they dont want or need a powerchair. God forbid. They dont WANT or need one.

Then they trawl the web for crappy power "add ons" to fit to their PITA manual chairs. Not realising that a real powerchair does EVERYTHING better other than transporting in a small car.

Get a VAN and a POWERCHAIR and get your life back. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/power-o ... lchair.htm
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Step » 22 Aug 2012, 12:32

I agree... now. Took me many years though but I'm converted :-)

Still have the manual though and I use it once or twice a year when I have to go to places with more then 2 steps to enter.
Step

Postby BounderGimp » 22 Aug 2012, 16:28

I'll second that anyday. Used to walk my PP ass everywhere using crutches, knocked down many times just being touched by other walkers (great fun if in the middle of a busy crosswalk) and being picked up by reluctant people. About 30 years ago my still girlfriend said "Get a powerchair or get another life!", she has RA and was using one for some time then, so I signed up. I have to say that the first time I ran into someone and they got the worse of it, well, it had a certain feeling of satisfaction to it! Five minutes of using it was all I needed, I had a hard time at first beliving the absolute freedom of movement it gave me, soaking wet from rain, right hand so numb from cold I can hardly use the joystick, battries going half-dead at the wrong time?, I'll still take it.

"Physios and OTs that convince us that we are Paraplegic and "dont need" powerchairs, are dumb. And they are in every spinal injury unit accross the planet brainwashing both each other and all the poor bastards they deal with.

These people then go on to a highly restricted and difficult life "knowing" they dont want or need a powerchair. God forbid. They dont WANT or need one.

Then they trawl the web for crappy power "add ons" to fit to their PITA manual chairs. Not realising that a real powerchair does EVERYTHING better other than transporting in a small car.

Get a VAN and a POWERCHAIR and get your life back. http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/power-o ... lchair.htm
"
BounderGimp

Postby malamar » 27 Aug 2012, 22:37

Now that she is away for refurbishing, i fear she could't feel cold and alone by night in that parking lot she must be secluded...
I just failed to slide a preservative in her vallet, just in case :oops:
malamar

Postby Sully » 03 Sep 2012, 16:37

I have a manual in the cellar, it is there because if we lose power for a long period I will have something to get me around a bit, and gasoline becomes scarce, for a time. Living near the coast in Southeastern US hurricanes are a fact of life, and must be prepared for.

But this is all the more reason to set up your vehicle, and your chair to charge your chair while you are evacuating the area to safety. So having, but not necessarily using a manual chair is probably a good idea.
Sully

Postby ex-Gooserider » 04 Sep 2012, 08:55

Agreed - good to have a manual, preferably as much of an "ultra-light" sports model as your disability allows (easier to push around).

I actually still use mine quite a bit inside the house because of the way our bedroom is laid out. The GF can't get around my current power chair easily, and it's hard for her to move it, not to mention the problem of charging. So I tend to park the power chair when I come inside and switch to the manual before going to bed... After I get dressed in the morning, I also use the manual if only to get to the power chair so I can transfer into it.

Not a big deal, as the distances inside the house are small...

The manual is also handy if going someplace (such as to a party) where there are stairs - as long as there are at least a couple of strong folks around, it isn't hard to get me inside by bumping me and the chair up the stairs, and I can party for a few hours in the manual w/o problems - beats sitting at home!

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Return to Powerchair Reviews