PINNED - Info on PROGRAMMING PGDT and others

Power wheelchair board for REAL info!

POWERCHAIR MENU! www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Re: PGDT interface update

Postby woodygb » 20 Sep 2012, 17:12

OK
Next step.

With the USB Adaptor plugged in to the puters USB port...

Open up the pgdt programming software ...ignore the warning...

Click Tools
Click Comms
Click on COM 6
Close the boxes ...
Exit the program and restart it.

The warning should be gone

Refer to my pictures if you need to.
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 20 Sep 2012, 17:16

Don't panic if the warning is still there ... we'll just try ticking each COM box number in turn... .Starting with 1 ..as this I suspect is the installed default.

Eventually you should find a COM port where the warning ...shown in this pic...will just dissappear.

unable.jpg
unable.jpg (35.41 KiB) Viewed 20311 times
woodygb

Postby malamar » 20 Sep 2012, 17:40

Holy Saints............with com 6 ticked : Comms Active !!!

Endebbed!!!
malamar

Postby woodygb » 20 Sep 2012, 17:47

Glad it works...got the CORRECT software yet?
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 20 Sep 2012, 17:54

Start another thread Giordano .... and well try and step thru the programming.

It would be good if you could post a screenshot of your present parameters.
woodygb

Postby Burgerman » 20 Sep 2012, 18:02

He has a link to where to find the correct software.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby malamar » 25 Sep 2012, 20:43

GRATEFUL...JUST FINISHED TO CHANGE PROGRAM SETTING according to
YOUR MAIN WEB PAGE...hardly the same thing: much, much better ! :mrgreen:
malamar

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2012, 20:56

So it steers now?

And goes where you point it?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby malamar » 25 Sep 2012, 21:19

Listen, may be i lack a bit more power, but now if there still is a bit of wondering due to that, controller stop it immediately to make it steer where desired immensely steadier and followig closer to pod...magic !!
malamar

Postby Burgerman » 25 Sep 2012, 22:01

Funny how everyone is ALWAYS happier with all the turn acceleration and deceleration removed. What on earth makes them do this to every chair?

NOW... READ CAREFULLY. IF YOU ARE BRAVE!!!

Make a note of your motor compensation figure. Read it from your chair.
If its say 40 or 90 or whatever, DECREASE IT to off, or as low as it allows.
Then go for a short drive around with care. You will find the chair gutless.
The purpose was to show its affect, so you learn.

Now put it back to stock. Where it was before. And drive around. Feel the difference.

Now increase it. By a very SMALL amount, like 5 above your stock figure. DONT DO MORE! The chair will be more powerful at small stick movements. Test for a day and see if you prefer it. It may get jerky. If its OK try 5 more. And test again. Go too far though, and the chair will suddenly go unstable and uncontrollable, so be very very careful!!!

AT YOUR OWN RISK! If unsure dont try it.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby malamar » 26 Sep 2012, 09:43

So this morning: MOTOR COMPENSATION; IN FACT CHAIR IS A BIT TO JERKY BACKWARDS and reacting strong to a minimal, decimillimetric pod deflection: must go on steering stage with Hamilton :lol: But after yesterday rough-in i'm confident on what can be achieved with patience and fearless bravery (inconscience);changed so many times set-up that fried LED profiles strip !!
Cheers
malamar

Postby malamar » 29 Sep 2012, 08:56

No joy; i'm back in the pigs habitat cause safety nazis tracked my "manufacturing level" down (no paranoia:i saw the obus coming directly onto my tabletop,invalidating all my system with the pretext they couldn't find a particular .cab file,and punishing my transgression invalidating even the genuine dealer programming cable and soft recently purchased.... :evil: at least i was able to strike a makeshift of "program" in controller and that i use, just before comms chair-PC were inactivated to deep silence

left speechless and wih no answer whatsoever.....ruffians: we are disabled people in needs
malamar

Postby woodygb » 29 Sep 2012, 09:06

I understand your frustration!
Seems that you have a software problem now ... have non of your family got a laptop or old puter that they could lend/give you ANYTHING will do?

This CAB file got a name?

The CAB file type is primarily associated with 'Cabinet File' by Microsoft Corporation.
A Microsoft installation archive.
woodygb

Postby malamar » 29 Sep 2012, 09:30

dear woody, no health for more bad turns . As soon as somebody here around awakes to carry me,i go directly to get a new tabletop 64 bit genuine of everything to hush microsoft mouth Since i was head editor at a trade cine-video magazine here, i'm in their black list; its an old story....make you know how follows ...
cheers
malamar

Postby redandwhite » 29 Sep 2012, 20:25

HI,

I am trying to follow this thread as I want to understand the programming so I can hopefully do it myself.

Unfortuneatly it seams as though it will be fairly simple when it is all set up, I find some of it hard to grasp until I get my controller back and I can put the theory into practice.

The one thing I am unsure of is, I use a notebook rather than a full size laptop and wonder if it will be able to support the software.Also it does not have a disc drive, is one necessary and if so would a separate external one do?

My OS is XP but I see in the thread that there are various versions of XP, some which work and some which don't. How can I tell which version mine is?

Finally where would I be able to get the software from for a 100amp Pilot + system?

Thanks
Colin
redandwhite

Postby woodygb » 29 Sep 2012, 20:45

The software can be found on the internet and downloaded ... XP has given the least trouble as far as compatible drivers go.

I can't see any reason why your notebook won't work.

ALL you need to buy/make is a USB -programming lead.
woodygb

Postby redandwhite » 29 Sep 2012, 22:10

Thanks Woody,

Do you still supply the leads or if not could you supply the link that I can get one from. Would it then need modifying or would it work as it comes.

I am really looking forward to getting stuck into it, health permitting, as until I try different settings I don't know what is good and what is not.

Colin
redandwhite

Postby woodygb » 29 Sep 2012, 22:18

woodygb

Postby malamar » 02 Oct 2012, 19:08

weoody, hate valid things condemned to idle,dusty life to none beneft; thought of sending you the old dongles for reciclating by you at will: YOUll' kñow well how. Me studying the new machine :? too modern for my taste: not needing a piece of tape here and there; that`s even not human fri
endly :cry:
malamar

Postby woodygb » 02 Oct 2012, 20:09

If your SURE and really need to give up contact me by personal message and we'll arrange something.
woodygb

Postby malamar » 02 Oct 2012, 20:40

ok, less i need is surplus around i don't even understand :( ....
malamar

Postby FredMan » 20 Oct 2012, 16:00

Hi There,
I've got a Monarch mini-4 that has a PG S-drive, which is connected to the Neutrik socket on the handle bar.

From what I understand I need the programming software and an interface cable. I've got several USB to serial interface cables (FTDI and PL-2032) already for various purposes as well as several boards with MAX-232 level convertors and Arduino boards with FTDI and ATMega serial interfaces, so I'm fairly sure I can coble something on that side.

What I'm struggling with is finding the software. Read earlier that it is an easy thing to find, but I've been trawling round for the last 2 hours and cannot come up with a single good link, apart from manufacturers website, which asks me to register as a dealer. If this is where I should go then fine, but I've read elsewhere that you need to convince them you know what you are doing before they'll sell you the software and cable.

I've gone through lots of pages on this site but its mainly about the cables themselves (seems a common type are re-purposed from Ham radio programming cables - which is why I'm sure I must have one).

Cheers
FredMan

Postby woodygb » 20 Oct 2012, 16:19

What is your location ..USA or UK ?
woodygb

Postby FredMan » 20 Oct 2012, 19:02

I'm UK based.

Hadn't updated my profile on the first message.

Great site. Loads of usefull info.
FredMan

Postby woodygb » 20 Oct 2012, 19:08

I have a GENUINE PGDT programming lead for the scooter range should you wish to borrow it...requires a Serial DB9 porton the puter.
woodygb

Postby FredMan » 22 Oct 2012, 00:12

Thanks for the offer Woody may take you up on it if I can't cobble something together soon.

I've got hold of the software now, and I've begun playing with the interface cables I already have. I've tried a USB to serial cable (forgot about the scooter needing TTL levels), and an Alinco ERW-8 cable (its a FTDI chip which does USB to serial and has TX/RX already joined). The software was happy with both of these, but I get nothing back from the scooter in the software. The ERW-8 cable has traffic LEDs and shows a slow TX/RX happening, but it looks like just a byte each time.

I've wired up a Neutrik plug with pin 2 for gnd and pin 3 for data, and when its connected to the ERW-8 cable. When the scooter is switched on, I get speed flash on the scooter LED indicator (faster than low battery, but slower than fault), and it wont operate. When I disconnect the cable from the computer and restart the scooter, the scooter LED comes on as steady.

I've still got a another interface cable to try, and I've got a MAX-232 board somewhere. I've tried running the software with Windows XP SP2 and Windows 7 (normal and XP SP3 compatability mode). Pretty sure I've also go a laptop with Win XP on it, with a serial port stuck in a bag in the garage as well, so plenty of options still to try.

When I get a moment, I'll share a little of what I've already done to the scooter to improve / maintain it.

Cheers for now.
FredMan

Postby FredMan » 25 Oct 2012, 03:37

I think its not going to work the way I thought it was. Just been doing some more reading in the programming manual and it says that programming the S-Drive requires a cable that has a 4 pin molex (P4) to RS-232 adapter, so I think that means that the charger port cant be used to program it.

Reading between the lines it looks like the usused (undocumented) 3rd pin in the charger / programmer interface on the S-Drive may be the one that carries the data. It looks like the inhibit is held high at 4.8v, and could be used to power a RS-232 to TTL level converter (MAX-232 chip or similar) as they only use a few mA. Assuming conversion is needed of course.

Charge Plug.jpg
Charge Plug.jpg (23.42 KiB) Viewed 18102 times

Woody - could you tell me if the cable you have has a molex plug or is it a neutrik plug? If its the molex plug which pins are connected? Any idea whats inside it, or what the pin mappings are?

I've ordered a cheap PC cable with a molex p4 plug on it (99p + 20p P&P) so I can have a ply on Friday / Saturday when it arrives.

Cheers for now.
FredMan

Postby woodygb » 25 Oct 2012, 08:17

Fredman,

I have 2 scooter programming leads ..one has the molded plug stripped off.

I can post it to you and you can attempt to clone / copy / adapt from it...I was going to but my Wife is very ill and caring duties currently difficult for me.

The positive can be ignored and if it's like the Wheelchair its inhibit and gnd/neg for coms.

Woody
woodygb

Postby Fulliautomatix » 25 Oct 2012, 08:37

woodygb wrote:my Wife is very ill and caring duties currently difficult for me.

Sorry to hear that Woody, get well soon Mrs Woody.
Fulliautomatix

Postby FredMan » 25 Oct 2012, 18:30

Cheers for the kind offer Woody. I've PM'd you my details.

Hope your good lady pulls through it soon.

Once I understand what the cable does, I should be able to come up with a schematic / suitable replacement for it. If its a level convertor, I've seen small MAX-232 boards on ebay going for a couple of quid each, that would fit inside a DB-9 shell.

Best Regards
Pete
FredMan

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Powerchair