rc equipment

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

rc equipment

Postby Step » 31 Dec 2011, 11:31

Fed up with asking people to mow my lawn, I decided to use the 6mph quickie motors I have lying around to build a rc controlled lawnmower like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6zkFXSKqQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
using a simple rc transmitter/receiver and this controller: http://dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X25.htm
2x25 amp is enough for my flat lawn. If not, there's a 2x60 amp as well... we'll see.

Now, I was wondering if it'd be possible (as in easy for a non-technical guru like me, explaining it to someone else :) ) to build a remote that uses a simple joystick in stead of a 5 or more channel rc helicopter or plane remote.
i have no hand function so that'd be easier for me.

Also, will 2 12v batteries be able to power the wheels and the electric mower I'll be using?

*edit*: Oops, wrong category! I was posting this under 'Anything disability'
Step

Re: rc equipment

Postby Burgerman » 31 Dec 2011, 11:46

You mean 1 joystick? Or a 2 chanel transmitter?

They are available, but you can choose to use just 2 channels, and one joystick from and 4, 5, or more chanel transmitter. Just ignore the ones you dont need. But a 3rd chanel, maybe on a switch to kill power or turn it off via a RC switch is useful... And another for motor throttle, kill, electric start, so 5 or 6 channels?

Does that controller work at 28+ volts?
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Step » 31 Dec 2011, 11:56

controller specs say:
25A continuous, 50A peak per channel.
6-24V nominal, 30V absolute maximum

Synchronous regenerative drive
Ultra-sonic switching frequency
Thermal and overcurrent protection
Lithium protection mode

Input modes: Analog, R/C, simplified serial, packetized serial

their 2x60 and 2x50 controllers work at higher voltages.

I think the mower uses 2 channels, 1 lever on a 5 channel helicopter rc. all you need to do is control 2 motors.
If I could somehow use the old wheelchair joystick to drive the mower remote controlled, that'd be ideal.
Start/stop by remote etc can be added later if needed.
Step

Postby Burgerman » 31 Dec 2011, 13:43

Wheelchair joystick? You can. Where would you like it? On the transmitter or to use the one on your wheelchair? Both are possible.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Step » 31 Dec 2011, 14:32

well I'd like a separate self-made remote with a larger joystick.
I can recuperate it from the motor-donor chair.
That would allow me to drive the mower and my chair at the same time.
I plan on building a wheelbarrow 'tub' on top as well so I can use it transport stuff outside.
Step

Postby Step » 31 Dec 2011, 14:55

ah but then I need a way of powering it... forgot about that... hm
Step

Postby ex-Gooserider » 01 Jan 2012, 06:05

Random thought - what about putting an alternator / generator on the mower to use as a source to power the motors? Maybe have a couple of small motorcycle batteries to "buffer" the output, and you could still end up smaller / lighter than something that used big chair batteries...

Possibly even better would be a hydraulic based system - either a couple hydraulic motors doing dual wheel steering, or a hydrostatic tranny and a steering ram setup, and using servos to operate control valves instead of a motor controller.

Might depend on the size of your lawn, but seems like petro-power might be better on a big place.

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby Step » 01 Jan 2012, 13:02

It's a thought, e-g. but I have an electric mower right now.
And I want to use the cart as a wheelbarrow as well without the lawn mower running.
Maybe even make it a flexible setup where I can take the lawn mower off to use manually and replace with whatever else I want to drive around remote controlled.
I'm thinking of a frame with 4 hooks to hang the lawn mower in by the axles or something. That would allow me to use the height adjustability of it as well.
Step

Postby Martin O Refurbisher » 06 Jan 2012, 23:44

Why not just get a suitable sized RC model and take out hte system to run the mower? Its there, it works, its low cost, and installation of the exisiting receiver and servos should be easy!

Best,

Martin
Martin O Refurbisher

Postby moonstroller » 23 Jan 2012, 22:57

I'm trying to cut my grass also but I'm thinking about using the base of my Jazzy Select 14 to pull the lawn mower and the small trailer for gardening.

This spring I intend to use raised beds set on one foot tall saw horses. I'll hope to have another electric chair that will remain close to the garden (in the back yard). I will take the seat off my Jazzy and hook the lawn-mower up to it and use the remote to guide the lawnmower around the each side of the yard. I will do the front yard last when I'm heading into the house for the evening.

I'll have to clean the base up before remounting the chair and using it inside. I know that I will eventually need to build my own power hauler base for the lawn mower. I'm trying to think modular and use one base for multiple functions.

John in Georgia (USA).
moonstroller

Postby Burgerman » 24 Jan 2012, 03:09

Read my RC page very carefully.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/radio-c ... rchair.htm

Looks complicated but its easy. But requires hours of fiddeling about and frustration that I have not got spare to get to work. And you need to DIY so you understand whats actually happening to be safe and able to troubleshoot.

Instead of the Omni Plus device I could have used a joystick pod. The only reason I used that was because I needed to easily plug a control into many different chairs.

Its analog input is exactly the same as the 3v swing you get from the joystick in your pod. Maybe 1.2v swing, 4v, or whatever. Measure this first. Then you just need to get a RC reciever to provide the same! Inject this where your pods joystick connects. There are joystick schematics online to help you.

I used tiny forward only speed controllers as digital analog converters. They give your DC out... And then simple divider networks to limit voltage to the correct level. Plus or minus x.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself!