Introduction

You dont have to, but its interesting!

MAIN WEBSITE: www.wheelchairdriver.com

Introduction

Postby procooper » 19 Mar 2012, 20:25

Hello Everyone!

My name is Bryan and I am helping my stepson Mac who suffered cranial damages in an unfortunate car crash 4 years ago.

We will be interested in finding information about 1) programming his module and 2) RC interfacing to his Jet 7 chair.

From what we've seen so far this is an incredible site!
procooper

Re: Introduction

Postby Burgerman » 19 Mar 2012, 21:26

What is the module?

Every manufacturer has a range of different control systems.

EG PG Drives www.pgdt.co.uk has many different units, and several different hand held, or PC programming tools. And at different levels.

The ones you can buy easily (end user/dealer etc) are pretty useless, but the engineering or OEM level ones are not simple to get. At least some are not. It helps if we know what it is in detail.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby procooper » 20 Mar 2012, 06:04

Well I just decided to dive in a little deeper... I am headed to Roboteq tomorrow (literally 15 miles away) to pick a used HDC2450 module they have laying around and see what fun I can have on a spare chair we have.

I have been looking for an excuse to dust off the electronics and programming skills so here we go!

My main intentions are:

- Full independance from OEM Module
- RC Integration

Looks like the max is 150a per channel vs the 100a per motor from the OEM module?

I am in the process of reading all the info on the forums regarding your experience with this module.

If there is a better solution please stop me now... I would like to start with your best recommendations moving forward ie: Module, RC Transmitter, Reciever, Etc....

Bryan
procooper

Postby Burgerman » 20 Mar 2012, 09:43

Looks like the max is 150a per channel vs the 100a per motor from the OEM module?

150 "cont" or 250 amps peak, or 500 peak total. Limited in software to whatever you choose.

Yes, and when you also add lithiums, and almost double the voltage (it errors at 55 volts) you can go double the speed too. More importantly you can use RC and PC integration, free programming and datalogging software, as well as having more torque and power at higher speeds due to higher voltages.

There are downsides too. No motor compensation. Partly taken care off by the increased voltage and "power" limit in software in my case, but may be an issue in 24v use. And less safety. If it goes wrong you go under a truck...

:lol:

More info on it as used on my BM3 chair here:
http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/BM-MK3-roboteq.htm
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby procooper » 20 Mar 2012, 14:57

Looks like the BR6000 receivers are no longer available... need to find an equivelant safe solution... any thoughts?
procooper

Postby woodygb » 20 Mar 2012, 15:20

The AR500 ..together with one of the listed Transmitters.
http://www.robotcombat.com/products/0-SPMAR500.html
woodygb

Postby ex-Gooserider » 21 Mar 2012, 06:21

Hmmm... Link says that receiver has been discontinued as well... We must be scaring them away! :lol:

ex-Gooserider
ex-Gooserider

Postby procooper » 21 Mar 2012, 06:30

Just spoke with "Robot Matketplace"... they recommended the Spektrum AR6255 receiver with the DX6i Radio.

Both are on the way.... REALLY looking forward diving into some electronics and programming again!
procooper

Postby Burgerman » 21 Mar 2012, 11:43

Most of the "bigger" recievers have programable fail safe. The ones discontinued were the cheapest way to get it... But they are all pretty damned good now.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby procooper » 09 Apr 2012, 06:42

Well just got the 2450 Robortek controller working in the chair.... and after figuring out that the brakes are set by default by burning my hands on red hot motors i'm finally underway! :lol:

I am using the Throttle and Elevator input on the Reciever and have to use both sticks to controll both motors seperately making steering quit interesting.

What is the trick to use Throttle Input (left stick) to drive both motors then right stick to decrease motor command for steering Left and Right?

Thanks!
procooper

Postby woodygb » 09 Apr 2012, 09:52

You pick the MIX option..this takes two channels of one stick Elevator and Aileron....and MIXES them together... sometimes called Elevon mix in R/C.

Look at the Roboteq manual for mix options.

Mixing Mode Select
Mixed mode is available as a configuration option in dual channel controllers to create tanklike
steering when one motor is used on each side of the robot: Channel 1 is used for moving
the robot in the forward or reverse direction. Channel 2 is used for steering and will
change the balance of power on each side to cause the robot to turn. Figure 36 below illustrates
how the mixed mode motor arrangement.
woodygb

Postby woodygb » 09 Apr 2012, 10:13

So ... just to be clear...it's just the RIGHT stick for driving ... Ele and Ail channels ..mixed.
woodygb

Return to Introduce Yourself!