Re: Storm 4 is brilliant!!! (Revisited!)

Powerchair or Mobility Equipment Reviews! Start a new thread with DESCRIPTIVE TITLE for each new review.

WEBSITE REVIEWS HERE (Scroll Down): www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerchair-stuff.htm

Postby sakima » 31 Oct 2014, 17:29

Firstly, The Storm 4 is a long wheelbase chair. That's about 4” longer than 'most' other chairs, but it can make a BIG difference!
When you are in a confined space, it can be difficult to manoeuvre. Add to that, it's 'slightly' bigger castor wheels (which need more space to 'swing') and tight spaces can prove awkward.
You cannot adjust the c of g so;
If you are around my weight, or under, as you will keep the c of g low and back, definitely consider this chair and read on.
I cannot comment if you are over this weight, (don't forget you cannot adjust the c of g) only to say and any wheelchair engineer will tell you this, the weight of the user will compromise the c of g and consequently, will affect the handling and some 'heavier users' will then find this chair and most other chairs, 'nose heavy.'
So for some, it would be pointless to read on, as you will 'seriously' affect the
c of g, making it very nose heavy.

This is MY review, based on MY weight and life-style and terrain and is therefore, MY opinion.

I am about 12 stone.
Live in a 'hilly' seaside town.
Apart from the last 6 months, (I had a YouQ Luca and Alex) I have had a Storm 3 since 2006.
I am very, very disabled, (see my website, http://www.timsstroke.co.uk) with 1 of my arms, my good arm, functioning at about 7%!
I go out and about in my wheelchair a lot. Rain or shine. I catch trains frequently. Go shopping twice-a-week. Go to the cinema. Go to pubs. Go to public events. Go on long drives. Go on roads. Go off-roading.
The seating position is 'slightly' in front of the rear wheels, which seems to be the approximate position, adopted by 'most' other wheelchairs.
I have the 'modulite, flex 3 seating back, which appears very comfortable indeed. (I not only sit right back, but I have devised away so that I can 'really' squash my lower back right in to the back-rest, giving me even more support.)
I lean, substantially, to the left, so I have a, custom but small, side-support. I have a 'Vicair' cushion.
I also have the 'electric lift' option. (Which goes about an inch higher than Storm 3.)
I have the DX-2 controller.
Invacare, do have a manufacturing order against them, but that was raised in the US and therefore only applies in the US.
The chair was redesigned in 2012 and does look 'similar' to the one in the sales bumff, but the frame is different now and so is the telescopic 'lifting post.' Other things have been changed also.
The suppliers, who are independent, did say that the Storm 4 was proving to be a “reliable machine!”
Time will tell!

The Storm 4, is one of the faster wheelchairs out there. (Which is why I got it!) Although English law does state that you can only drive a motorised vehicle, on pedestrian path, at a maximum speed of 4mph, I do go a lot faster. (I have yet to see a policeman with a speed gun, on a public footpath!)
There is a pedestrian precinct in the town and I, comfortably, weave in and out of people at speed. (The same can be said for the promenade.)
I slow down when going in to shops, (and going round em) as, inevitably, there are other people going in and coming out.
Although the Storm is a LWB chair, it still tackles 'most' shops easily, still staying in top gear.
The steering seems very, very sensitive, immediate and precise at low speed and high speed, with a minuscule adjustment, where needed, giving an immediate effect.
I drive at full speed on roads with cars, lorries, vans, buses etc, going round me whilst I am going passed parked cars!
Having had the Storm 3 for 7.5 years, the Storm 4's steering does seem better.
I loved the Storm 3, however, the steering seemed a little delayed at speed, but this seems completely rectified in the Storm 4. One other little niggle I had with the Storm 3. It was never any good at crawling along when it was in top gear. It would be 'jerky.'
The Storm 4 is very smooth.
I go up and down ramps with no traction problems at all and as I am about 12 stone, so the c of g is well back and low, going down steep ramps, (forwards) still keeps all 4 wheels on the deck and gives me full control. (Trains.)
With heavy shopping on the back and going up steep slopes it still doesn't tip.
I have a full printout of all the settings etc and the acceleration and turning profiles are set to about 30% and the de-acceleration is set to about 70%. There are loads and loads of settings and I am sure the general handling could be improved somewhat, but I am not in a position to do that.
The settings that the Storm 4 is currently on, which may not be ideal for some, make it sensitive, immediate and precise.
The Storm 3s suspension was good, but this is better. I have touched on the front castor wheels and yes, they are bigger than most, catching on things when they swing, if you are not careful. So they can be a bit of a pain when you change direction in a tight space. But because they are bigger, they are wider than 'most', so that extra size and width does translate to more absorbency over bumps.
Going over rough terrain, as I like to do, really shows how good the suspension is on the Storm 4.

All in all 'I THINK' it is a very good wheelchair. (Or why would I write all this.)
Yes, it could possibly be improved, but how it is set up, is just fine. It is very, very precise and immediate.
Don't forget,
This is MY review, based on MY weight and life-style and terrain and is therefore, MY opinion.
sakima

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2014, 17:50

>>>I have a full printout of all the settings etc and the acceleration and turning profiles are set to about 30% and the de-acceleration is set to about 70%.

While I realise everyone is different. That line above would make this chair completely unusable for me. Or anyone expecting linear or proportional steer control.
Those settings are common across the whole powerchair industry give or take a few percent. And are how all stock chairs are set by default.
And that's what I was referring to in the previous thread when I said that it didn't steer. Or stop steering. Compared to a chair that has all of those setting set to "instant". Sure, that makes it "smooth" but it stops it being proportional and direct and introduces a timed delay into all steer commands.

Its those 30 and 70 turn acc and dec settings that turn a steering control into a pudding stirrer. Its not that I am having a go at the Storm 4, its ALL stock powerchairs. They are all set up this way to make it "safe" and sluggish. Set them (turn acc, turn dec, min turn acc, min turn dec all to 100 (almost no delay) and you get an accurate linear proportional response to any input. And when you release, it stops turning instantly.

But as you say its your opinion. But not having tried things any other way you are lacking the chance to compare. Other than with other equally badly programmed powerchairs. It may be that you do not have normal hand function or coordination in which case you don't have any choice, as you wouldn't be able to use a true linear setup.

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/powerch ... amming.htm ONLY applies to those that have good hand coordination and joystick skills.

And this thread is a follow up of this one: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4512
Burgerman
Site Admin

Re: Storm 4 is brilliant!!! (Revisited!) pictures.

Postby sakima » 31 Oct 2014, 17:51

DSC_0002 (6).jpg
DSC_0002 (6).jpg (148.58 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
DSC_0001 (8).jpg
DSC_0001 (8).jpg (166.45 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
sakima

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2014, 17:59

Your C of G is about 1 inch in front of your belly button. In the centre of that post. That's why it is positioned there. Look at image 1. Legs are heavy. Total CG is slightly in front of the rear wheel.

That photo shows the same chair that I tested a couple of years ago. Complete with the Dynamic controller with all the steering accuracy, confidence and delay issues. It forces you to slow.

But you are correct that the lighter you are the greater this nose heavy thing gets disguised. An empty chair driven by RC always steers much better as an extreme case. Or try a sandbag on the footplate. That ruins steering and control beautifully.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby Burgerman » 31 Oct 2014, 18:08

http://www.wheelchairdriver.com/gopro/CONTROL.MP4 with a tired old chair, 20 STONE user, and wheelies and 6mph indoors. Doorways 2 inches wider than me. I only slow to push the heavy swing door with my toes without breaking them I ALWAYS drive like this. 6MPH or more indoors is normal if your control is accurate and programmed to go where you tell it.

I cant do this in your chair. Even if reprogrammed. Due to it being long and nose heavy.
Burgerman
Site Admin

Postby sakima » 01 Nov 2014, 12:49

sakima

Return to Powerchair Reviews